Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Here's my pole... Now it's up to the little woman to paint it and gussy it up..
20171105_181027.jpg

Yeah, thankfully that one hit at around 5 am and there were no kids in there. Otherwise it could have killed all 400 of them. The surrounding houses weren't so lucky since they were in bed asleep when it hit. The sirens went off about 20 seconds before it hit. That was 1999.

On a side note, the company I worked for in Cincinnati was part of the Ralph J. Stolle group. I was on the Pharmecutical side of the business. Our manufacturing site was at one of his research farms in Wilmington Ohio. The man was a billionaire from inventing the equipment that made the pop-top can possible.

Ralph J. Stolle, a prolific inventor and businessman, held more than 50 patents and developed machinery that made mass production of pop-top beverage cans economical and practical. Although the concept for the can top was developed elsewhere, it was not until the Stolle Corporation developed devices for rapidly and cheaply scoring the top that the cans went into widespread use.

The Stolle Corporation was sold to the Alcoa Corporation in 1975 and is now part of the Alcoa Packaging Machinery subsidiary, producing hundreds of millions of cans a year.

Mr. Stolle (pronounced STOH-lee) also founded the Ralph J. Stolle Company of Cincinnati, which owns 20 companies in the heavy equipment, farm implement and metal forming, stamping and tooling businesses.

He was also interested in pharmaceuticals and farming. He sponsored a research and development company that specialized in injecting farm animals with human ailments so they would develop antibodies useful to human consumers of dairy or poultry products.

The company's techniques for producing hyperimmune animals have been awarded patents in the United States, and Stolle Immune Milk is produced in New Zealand for sale in Japan, Taiwan and Hong Kong.

Everytime I pull the tab on a can of beer, I think of the man.

On a side note, the company I worked for in Cincinnati was part of the Ralph J. Stolle group. I was on the Pharmecutical side of the business. Our manufacturing site was at one of his research farms in Wilmington Ohio. The man was a billionaire from inventing the equipment that made the pop-top can possible.

Ralph J. Stolle, a prolific inventor and businessman, held more than 50 patents and developed machinery that made mass production of pop-top beverage cans economical and practical. Although the concept for the can top was developed elsewhere, it was not until the Stolle Corporation developed devices for rapidly and cheaply scoring the top that the cans went into widespread use.

The Stolle Corporation was sold to the Alcoa Corporation in 1975 and is now part of the Alcoa Packaging Machinery subsidiary, producing hundreds of millions of cans a year.

Mr. Stolle (pronounced STOH-lee) also founded the Ralph J. Stolle Company of Cincinnati, which owns 20 companies in the heavy equipment, farm implement and metal forming, stamping and tooling businesses.

He was also interested in pharmaceuticals and farming. He sponsored a research and development company that specialized in injecting farm animals with human ailments so they would develop antibodies useful to human consumers of dairy or poultry products.

The company's techniques for producing hyperimmune animals have been awarded patents in the United States, and Stolle Immune Milk is produced in New Zealand for sale in Japan, Taiwan and Hong Kong.

Everytime I pull the tab on a can of beer, I think of the man.
Thats a cool story. There are so many things that we use every day that you I never even think about who invented it and how it's made. I love the How It's Made shows on cable I just watched one the other day on how they Forge a crankshaft pretty cool stuff.

Thats a cool story. There are so many things that we use every day that you I never even think about who invented it and how it's made. I love the How It's Made shows on cable I just watched one the other day on how they Forge a crankshaft pretty cool stuff.
The other interesting part is that while Ralph went to the University of Cincinnati...he never graduated.

He was a self-made man with only a High School diploma and a handful of college credits.

I've got a vegetable lasagna in the oven baking. It makes the house smell soooo good!

I haven't tried one yet. I didn't have them peeled yet. Some put them on the smoker in the shell and some peel and then smoke.
I never left one in the shell. Figured the smoke would never get through the shell. I will be interested to know how they turn out.

I know some guys used to crack the shells by rolling on a hard surface but not peel before smoking. The said it let the smoke in without drying out the egg. I never tried it.

I know some guys used to crack the shells by rolling on a hard surface but not peel before smoking. The said it let the smoke in without drying out the egg. I never tried it.
That's a good idea.

Very cool projects you get knocked out in a few hours, Ben.

Funny I was thinking about all the things my Dad made and built over the years, I can't remember them all, sometimes one will pop into my head like the time he got interested in making pottery, so he ordered a bearing and built himself a potter's wheel, he made me a cookie jar as a graduation present and he made a bunch of other ceramics he sold at craft fairs, until he got interested in something else.

This might be interesting...the aerospace company in Sarasota where he worked as an engineer wasn't getting many contracts in the '70's, and they had a very expensive machine shop, so they had my Dad cultivate other types of work for the company. South of town was a company that made fingernail clippers, and my Dad designed and built them a machine to assemble them faster than could be done by hand. I remember being impressed by the pneumatic operation and the hoppers of parts that were fed into chutes by vibration, and how Dad worked thru getting it to run flawlessly. Not long after it was delivered, a wave of Vietnamese immigrants came over. These ladies could assemble the clippers faster then my Dad's machine! So there it went presumably into a corner of the plant. Fast forward 20+ years, my Dad had been in Georgia for years, and was interviewing a "gal Friday" as he called her, come to find out, she once worked at a company in Tennessee that made fingernail clippers, and my Dad's machine had ended up there. Small world.

Looks good, what is that? I am already thinking a packet of au jus and buttered bread crumbs with parmesan would go in that...is it a recipe or a new creation of yours?

Oops I see now vegetable lasagna, mmmmm.
All done now. Just need to let it rest for a little bit...

IMG_0199.JPG

-
Back