Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
For the ‘68 Barracuda the electric pump only came with the deluxe package with 3 speed wipers like the Dart did in ‘69...

View attachment 1715161839
That's not too surprising. Each year after introduction they pinched the basic offering back. By '69, the fastback's fold down seat had become optional! That's just crazy. I'm sure it didn't help sales or customer Atteeetude to have that as an addon to the price.

Got the Ranchero in the lube bay at the Chevron station (work). Doors wide open, power booster on, Aerosmith Toys in the Attic on the 8 track. Car load of mature ladies on their way to Vegas pulls in for gas. Just as they were getting out of the car to use the Ladie's room what should play on the 8 track? https://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=Awr9Dtv..sdafbkAowBpCWVH;_ylu=X3oDMTByb2lvbXVuBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1523084159/RO=10/RU=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kySh2zsdvg/RK=0/RS=qu.0suozripGQEIWsaug.mJcIPM-
Outstanding!

Yeah I know about record players. Bought the records, pirated them on to 8 tracks. Desert heat and 8 tracks didn't get along well. As long as I had the vinyl in the house I had an endless supply of 8 tracks :rofl:

That's not too surprising. Each year after introduction they pinched the basic offering back. By '69, the fastback's fold down seat had become optional! That's just crazy. I'm sure it didn't help sales or customer Atteeetude to have that as an addon to the price.
Funny thing is, Chrysler still uses that pricing model. On my ‘06 SRT, lots of stuff was standard that first year that later became optional. Hood blankets, strut covers, base radio, etc.

They have alway used the model to get good sales in the first year on loaded vehicles, get them out for everyone to see on the street and then drop the base price in following years to keep the buyers coming in. They did the same thing on my wife’s ‘05 Grand Caravan, the first year of the redesign with Stow-N-Go seats.

Interesting, the dealer book shows manual pump standard and electric washers and 3 speed wipers only came together as a package.

View attachment 1715161840
Well. Those things are good for reference. Things get swamped as the car goes down the line and some parts are not available.
Case in point I ordered a Z/28 in 73.
When I went to pick it up it was minus the gauge package and tac k.

Paperwork said parrrs not avaliabl e.
I refused to accept the car.

Barry has noted the dealer data books are not 100% correct...maybe..even though it seems unlikely...
The thing was that back in those days, you could still pretty much order a car anyway you wanted it regardless of what was in the dealer books. Not so much in the modern era.

Last edited:
So I've tried google to no avail. I have a brand new rebuild kit for a Holley carb. Problem is, I can't find which Holley carb it is for. 35-1457 is on the package. It is a Holley brand kit but not even their website has it. Autozone couldn't cross reference. I've had it about 15 years now

I have three different holley books and none of them list that number... Most trick kits and renew kits start out with 37-xxxx

What carb list numbers are you working on???

You Do Know about the record players?
My ‘68 BMW 1800 had a 5” record player in the glove box. The turntable was mounted on springs and the needle was attached to a fixed bar arm across the top so the record wouldn’t skip.

I have three different holley books and none of them list that number... Most trick kits and renew kits start out with 37-xxxx

What carb list numbers are you working on???
I don't know is the problem. It's been on my shelf for years. I don't recall what carb I ordered it for

My ‘68 BMW 1800 had a 5” record player in the glove box. The turntable was mounted on springs and the needle was attached to a fixed bar arm across the top so the record wouldn’t skip.
Didn't know about that one. Did it play 45s or a proprietory record?

1983 the wife wanted a new car. Ford has a Mustang convertible for the first time since 72 I think. White over White over White, GT suspension package, she doesn't drive a 4 speed so an auto is ok. "Nope. You can't get the 302 automatic in a convertible in CA. Smog issues". Right next to it sits a GT with that combo and on the other side of the GT is a T-Bird V-8 auto. They showed me the book. :wtf:

Didn't know about that one. Did it play 45s or a proprietory record?
The records were available only through BMW as an accessory. They had an entire catalogue of available records. They were sort of an mini EP record that had 3 songs per side.

The records were available only through BMW as an accessory. They had an entire catalogue of available records. They were sort of an mini EP record that had 3 songs per side.
Very interesting. How well did it work?

1983 the wife wanted a new car. Ford has a Mustang convertible for the first time since 72 I think. White over White over White, GT suspension package, she doesn't drive a 4 speed so an auto is ok. "Nope. You can't get the 302 automatic in a convertible in CA. Smog issues". Right next to it sits a GT with that combo and on the other side of the GT is a T-Bird V-8 auto. They showed me the book. :wtf:
The convertible top increases emissions.. Sounds very California to me..

Fair at best, but it was fine on decent roads or on the highway. Those cars also had 6 volt electrical systems so everything about them was kind of unique.

The 1800 was a funky little car...

0D0FECEB-9257-495B-BF5A-9FA6378534EA.jpeg

-
Back