Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Today was pretty fun, my boss' wife was out of town and he said hey do you want learn to shoot? He used to be a cop, we stopped and got some ammo and he gave me a tutorial on the tailgate of his truck in a corner of Dick's parking lot. At the shooting range I got to use all his guns and another one he rented because he wants to buy that kind. I was almost as accurate as him...I don't know if that was beginners luck but he said I should be proud. I liked the revolver the best, it just felt better in my hand and that's what I would want next to my bed if I ever thought I needed one. Not my thing but I figured I should learn when I was given the opportunity and in case anyone ever offers me the chance again. Growing up in FL nobody around me was interested in guns.

You mean a Quick Fuel carby doesn't pump fuel quicker?
But I saw it on the TV.
It would be perfect on your 600 HP poly 318.

OK. the GM 8-6-4 is real, and it was a technical flop.
Unlike the Corvair and Fiero, it didn't stay in production long enough to get the bugs ironed out. Seriously, probably couldn't have - premise was flawed.

Today was pretty fun, my boss' wife was out of town and he said hey do you want learn to shoot? He used to be a cop, we stopped and got some ammo and he gave me a tutorial on the tailgate of his truck in a corner of Dick's parking lot. At the shooting range I got to use all his guns and another one he rented because he wants to buy that kind. I was almost as accurate as him...I don't know if that was beginners luck but he said I should be proud. I liked the revolver the best, it just felt better in my hand and that's what I would want next to my bed if I ever thought I needed one. Not my thing but I figured I should learn when I was given the opportunity and in case anyone ever offers me the chance again. Growing up in FL nobody around me was interested in guns.
Revolver never jams. a good weapon.

But I saw it on the TV.

Unlike the Corvair and Fiero, it didn't stay in production long enough to get the bugs ironed out. Seriously, probably couldn't have - premise was flawed.
My father was involved with that mess.

That's cool. They are fun. Surprise growing up in Fla you hadn't shot before. Guess its different in different parts. At my cousins - not to far outside Pensacola we could shoot out back (small caliber stuff and pistols). Maybe different times too. That was the late 70s.

But I saw it on the TV.

The premise wasn’t flawed...the design was. The modern 5.7L Hemi uses an MDS system that has worked quite well for the past dozen plus years. The 6.4 L Hemi uses it quite well too for the past 5+ years in both cars and trucks. They can cut out half the cylinders and re-engage them in less than 40 milliseconds continuously for hundreds of thousands of miles.

That's cool. They are fun. Surprise growing up in Fla you hadn't shot before. Guess its different in different parts. At my cousins - not to far outside Pensacola we could shoot out back (small caliber stuff and pistols). Maybe different times too. That was the late 70s.

My Dad was an avid sailor and engineer, not the kind of guy to do things just for fun, he was always building things "being productive," didn't go to sporting events either, and he hung around guys like that too. He always had a project going. He always let me use his tools though I didn't have his aptitude. I was born in '60 so same era as you. I bet it was fun hitting targets.

Sure they do, just not often.

I’ve seen them shear off an empty casing and jam solid while the cylinder was rotating.
:eek:

Worst I'd ever seen or experienced was timing getting a little off, but still shootable. They were going in for repairs that day.
Oh wait. There was a top break my dad had for a while, pre-Act, timning was so bad it would misfire. It got scrapped.

Really? I have not.
I’ve shot literally tens of thousands of rounds through over a hundred different types of weapons from single shot through full-auto. I’ve seen failures that most folks think would never happen.

The premiseq wasn’t flawed...the design was. The modern 5.7L Hemi uses an MDS system that has worked quite well for the past dozen plus years. The 6.4 L Hemi uses it quite well too for the past 5+ years in both cars and trucks. They can cut out half the cylinders and re-engage them in less than 40 milliseconds continuously for hundreds of thousands of miles.
Like said, not enough computing power. Ever drive one of them? I have. It cruised on 4 cylinders, then when you floor it, it falls on its face, BIG time!!

The premiseq wasn’t flawed...the design was. The modern 5.7L Hemi uses an MDS system that has worked quite well for the past dozen plus years. The 6.4 L Hemi uses it quite well too for the past 5+ years in both cars and trucks. They can cut out half the cylinders and re-engage them in less than 40 milliseconds continuously for hundreds of thousands of miles.
Then that goes with what Tim wrote
Not enough computing power...
I was thinking the concept came from ships, and the ability to scale that down and implement on a single engine was just too much.

My Dad was an avid sailor and engineer, not the kind of guy to do things just for fun, he was always building things "being productive," didn't go to sporting events either, and he hung around guys like that too. He always had a project going. He always let me use his tools though I didn't have his aptitude. I was born in '60 so same era as you. I bet it was fun hitting targets.
It was fun, but we didn't do it a lot. Once in while. Water skiing is what I remember I did most with that cousin.

Then that goes with what Tim wrote.

It isn’t just computing power, it the mechanical engineering too. The MDS lifter design is unique and allows it it work the way it should. Add the cam phasers like my 300C has and it is both an engineering and computer control marvel.

It isn’t just computing power, it the mechanical engineering too. The MDS lifter design is unique and allows it it work the way it should. Add the cam phasers like my 300C has and it is both an engineering and computer control marvel.
Though the mechanical components of the L62 V-8-6-4 may have been sound, the system’s electronics were not. Despite Cadillac’s claims that the Computer Command Module could process some 300,000 commands per second, it lacked the programming sophistication and overall speed necessary to direct the system across all driving conditions. Cadillac released some 13 updates, all via EPROM chip, for the Command Control Module, but none managed to overcome the system’s insurmountable obstacles. For 1982, Cadillac returned to a conventional V-8 engine design (now further downsized to 4.1-liters) for its passenger car range, while most owners of L62 V-8-6-4 Cadillacs simply had the cars converted to full-time V-8 power.

Spring Arts Festival in Lompoc. The weather might even be decent for it.
I hope they have a better beer stand this time :rofl:

LOL yesterday and today. I drove to Phoenix, picked up my brothers, office trailer. It is a carnival game in the front and an office in all the rest. Then pulled it to Lompoc , left it there. then home. Just got back.

View attachment 1715165866

They had to convert them to full v-8’s.they were failing in the dealer lots.
The LS engines have had them since 09 if i recall correctly.
They break too, the lifters fall apart. Only way to replace them is pull the heads. Big job to fix a misfire.

But the magazine said bigger was better.
that's even bigger and pumps even quicker.
A guy told me his friend who used to work in a racey shop explained that's why its called Quick Fuel.

That's what she said.... :D

-
Back