Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
It isn’t about where, it’s about how much advance it gives. 15 is about right...do you know how much advance it gives and where the rest of your curve is at cruise?
If I recall correctly I believe mine is 22*. My curve starts at 1200 and all in at 2200rpm. At cruise Im turning about 2500rpm @ 60mph

Really? I thought it was always recommended. It doesnt help gas mileage if I have it hooked up?
Give it a try. The vac advance in my Swinger distributor is not adjustable and adds too much advance. I got some crappy gas when leaving Farmington last year and had to pull over and disconnect and plug the line with a golf tee. The tee is still there.

Give it a try. The vac advance in my Swinger distributor is not adjustable and adds too much advance. I got some crappy gas when leaving Farmington last year and had to pull over and disconnect and plug the line with a golf tee. The tee is still there.
Damn, I didnt know that happened. I'll actually run with out it for awhile and see how it does. I had it hooked up, but figured I'd see if I could fine tune it further, hence my question. Thank you both for the info.

Does anyone have any good advice on when the vacuum advance should start to pull in? My car at idle pulls about 13-14hg. When I put the vacuum pump on my pod it starts to move at about 15.

If I remember right I need to know how much vacuum my engine pulls at cruising speed, but once I get that figured out, then where do I set it to start pulling in?
Vacuum advance depends a lot on the engine. Some come in at 6 or 7" of Hg, and others don't add any advance until 10 or 12".
It depends on how much the combustion slows under leaner part throttle conditions vs. near wide open throttle high load.
What engine and mods?

I always have a golf tee or two in the glove box or tool kit.
I do too.
But you should look at my thread on adjusting vac advance.
If the total added is too much, you can reduce that even with the can that's on it.

Fast curve and no vacuum advance needed...like mine.
Too fast of a curve and its harder to implement.
Not needed - true.
Is it best timing under low to mid part throttle - there I disagree.

I do too.
But you should look at my thread on adjusting vac advance.
If the total added is too much, you can reduce that even with the can that's on it.
I need to read up. Do you have a link. If it's not handy that's ok. I can find it. I thought I would pull it when I put my intake on.

Here Code for a pool fence, 1, has to be unclimbable. And 2, completely around the pool. UNLESS you have one acre or more, and the acreage is fenced. Then no pool fence is needed.

LA360, Magnum heads, XE268H Cam, Air Gap, TTI's, Eddy 600 carb
Best I can suggest is use the MP guidelines as a starting point. Even with the magnum heads, they still suggest 50* while cruising even though it needs less timing under load.
https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopa...mopar_performance_instruction-png.1715175314/
If you have an adjustable can, use that first. Its easier.
Maybe Hoppy has some 360 magnum head references and experience.
@halifaxhops

Best I can suggest is use the MP guidelines as a starting point. Even with the magnum heads, they still suggest 50* while cruising even though it needs less timing under load.
https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopa...mopar_performance_instruction-png.1715175314/
If you have an adjustable can, use that first. Its easier.
Maybe Hoppy has some 360 magnum head references and experience.
It also depends on the weather conditions. My vac advance adds 5* but I can only run it in cooler weather. This issue isn’t at cruise, it is coming off cruise with mild throttle that it pings. It doesn’t take the transition well.

Ah, that reminds of me the 'water injection' spray 'trick' which apparently goes back at least to WW2 airplanes. Obviously not used for part throttle!

When I was using the tach drive distributor, I set up a little switch on a remote vacuum pod to add advance under cruise conditions using the MSD timing control box. Kindof worked but was a real rig job. Pretty sure I used on it on one drive to Norfolk and Pensacola..

Just because...

BF7DB41D-43A9-419B-8C49-AFE3637433A9.jpeg

Here Code for a pool fence, 1, has to be unclimbable. And 2, completely around the pool. UNLESS you have one acre or more, and the acreage is fenced. Then no pool fence is needed.
So razor wire and an electric fence

Only thing i ever used golf tees for...

-
Back