Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Any experience with 1/2-20 TIMESERT oil pan plug thread repair?
or know anyone who does?

They have note on their website to use the ones for cast aluminum pans on a sheet metal pan where an oversized thread has been used.
I sent them an e-mail asking what the working range was for the insert, and they wrote back

"The 1/2-20 drain plug kit includes inserts of .400 length, your drain
pan thickness should be at least .400 thick."

I don't know of any sheet metal pans that are at least .4" thick - except may be early ones with a nut elded to the inside?
.4? Would be like a 200lb oil pan. LOL

Too much back reading. Gave up on the shake on my rat rod for this weekend. It does look like the axle is bent, I will compare same axles at the show this weekend. Just going to keep working on my boys car. I don't think it will be ready, but at least working on it.

Well, the knock sensor code is back. So today I work on my own $hit. Gonna change both knock sensors under the intake manifold....AND...the starter, cause I don't want to go back there. Also a PIA change of spark plugs, and an oil change...More BEER Please...

Well, the knock sensor code is back. So today I work on my own $hit. Gonna change both knock sensors under the intake manifold....AND...the starter, cause I don't want to go back there. Also a PIA change of spark plugs, and an oil change...More BEER Please...
Well that sucks , hope no other problems . Wide open for Karl !!!

Too much back reading. Gave up on the shake on my rat rod for this weekend. It does look like the axle is bent, I will compare same axles at the show this weekend. Just going to keep working on my boys car. I don't think it will be ready, but at least working on it.

Ahhh...sucks Eric. Was that preexisting issue or due to the setup you think.

.4? Would be like a 200lb oil pan. LOL
LOL. I think some stamped steel pans had a welded bung.
I started a thread under shop and tools. See if anyone has some experience with them. Not many 1/2-20 rivnut or nutsert options.
Might have to take it to double or triple oversize. I hate those thead cutting drain plugs. Thats what tore out of the pan in the first place. Dumbass me tested it wrong. It took 30 ftlbs on the bench - without a sealing washer. With the sealing washer it stripped out with only 15 ft lbs.

Any experience with 1/2-20 TIMESERT oil pan plug thread repair?
or know anyone who does?

They have note on their website to use the ones for cast aluminum pans on a sheet metal pan where an oversized thread has been used.
I sent them an e-mail asking what the working range was for the insert, and they wrote back

"The 1/2-20 drain plug kit includes inserts of .400 length, your drain
pan thickness should be at least .400 thick."

I don't know of any sheet metal pans that are at least .4" thick - except may be early ones with a nut elded to the inside?

If the insert is too long sticking into the pan, it will restrict oil from draining... :mad: :BangHead:

Get a 1/2” fine thread nut and weld it to the pan. End of problem. I would flatten the outside part some, to give a bigger sealing area. Actually i would likely make something in my lathe. I really dislike the oversize plugs. In many years i have been forced to use less than a handful.

If the insert is too long sticking into the pan, it will restrict oil from draining... :mad: :BangHead:

Get a 1/2” fine thread nut and weld it to the pan. End of problem. I would flatten the outside part some, to give a bigger sealing area. Actually i would likely make something in my lathe. I really dislike the oversize plugs. In many years i have been forced to use less than a handful.

Dorman 65241 Dorman Transmission Pan Drain Plugs | Summit Racing

I have this for the transmission plan 1/2 - 20 but sticks up quite a bit.

I wouldnt use that dorman piece.ever. Even a piece of 1/4” plate drilled and tapped, then welded on is better. Wouldnt have to remove pan.

@Tooljunkie @krazykuda
Outside is flat. Inside I don't think I could tack it with Oxy-acet. Might be able to get someone to do it with another method.

Some oil gets caught below the drain. it just the way it is. Whether the sheet metal is 0.0240" as it is, or there is a 1/2" deep nut or insert won't make it that much worse.

upload_2022-8-11_13-53-51.png

upload_2022-8-11_13-56-17.png

upload_2022-8-11_13-58-39.png

Another option if I'm taking it off is to use the pan that came with that engine.
It was pretty rusty and the shop brazed the one hole. I'm not highly confindent it won't develop more holes but should last a winter if needed.

The people who use timeserts rave about how good they are so I was looking to learn if that was a realistic option. It would be a huge timesaver for me now.

@Tooljunkie @krazykuda
Outside is flat. Inside I don't think I could tack it with Oxy-acet. Might be able to get someone to do it with another method.

Some oil gets caught below the drain. it just the way it is. Whether the sheet metal is 0.0240" as it is, or there is a 1/2" deep nut or insert won't make it that much worse.

View attachment 1715968861

View attachment 1715968862

View attachment 1715968863

Another option if I'm taking it off is to use the pan that came with that engine.
It was pretty rusty and the shop brazed the one hole. I'm not highly confindent it won't develop more holes but should last a winter if needed.

The people who use timeserts rave about how good they are so I was looking to learn if that was a realistic option. It would be a huge timesaver for me now.
If you wanted to use an insert, put epoxy on it before installing. Shouldnt ever leak.

@Tooljunkie @krazykuda

View attachment 1715968861

View attachment 1715968862

View attachment 1715968863

Inserts are good in blind holes, not always on through holes/thin holes....

If you wanted to use an insert, put epoxy on it before installing. Shouldnt ever leak.
Good idea!
The question is whether this particular one will bite at all. The ones I like to use, AVK, would work if they made them in this size.
One nice thing about Timesert's is the countersinking creates a flat sealing surface for the washer.

No car stuff here.
Two hours of shagging fly balls and batting practice.
This is an open practice. The league has eight teams and anyone on a roster can come to this practice usually 15 shows up.
Practice is Tuesday-Thursday-Sunday morning. They league play Monday night.
They also have an optional Wednesday morning league which I don't do yet.
Even when league is done in a couple weeks, they'll still have practice until December.
Then they move indoors to the indoor field and play or practice all winter. They take their softball serious. Keeps a lot of them going.
Some dumbass showed up today and told everyone he tested posted for covid that morning but felt good enough to come to practice and since we were outside, he'd keep his distance.
A couple guys chewed his *** and told him to leave which he did.

Car stuff here...Got the intake manifold of the Caddy (PIA), after I changed all the spark plugs ( PIA ). Changing knock sensors and starter motor now. Will have it back together before Dinner....

No car stuff here.
Two hours of shagging fly balls and batting practice.
This is an open practice. The league has eight teams and anyone on a roster can come to this practice usually 15 shows up.
Practice is Tuesday-Thursday-Sunday morning. They league play Monday night.
They also have an optional Wednesday morning league which I don't do yet.
Even when league is done in a couple weeks, they'll still have practice until December.
Then they move indoors to the indoor field and play or practice all winter. They take their softball serious. Keeps a lot of them going.
Some dumbass showed up today and told everyone he tested posted for covid that morning but felt good enough to come to practice and since we were outside, he'd keep his distance.
A couple guys chewed his *** and told him to leave which he did.
In like manner no car stuff today just packing parts in trailer for next load down South. Holy Smokes I got a bunch of crap. I was loading 2x6-14ft on the trailer thinking to myself how I used to just cut lumber up and burn it when I moved last time. Not this time, I am shipping every scrap! Be smart Craig on the running thing. I would argue you are not 100% yet, and I know for a fact once the whistle blows you will give 110%. It is healing from outside in giving the illusion it is healed when in reality it is still easy to tear again. Ask me how I know! I did get my fancy State Champion buckle today so it now adorns one of my rigs! Woo Hoo!

4186B18C-D1CA-495B-A64F-E8EF2C5C26D1.jpeg

Evening all. Spent the day providing burial rites to a fallen Congresswoman. Gotta meet several Congressmen albeit briefly, but the best part was working these two clowns alongside our counterparts from the Old Guard from Arlington who performed the 21 gun salute

414F3632-EE01-4058-8164-29EA0D308132.jpeg

F3473130-2D08-468C-80EA-CC3659BB7625.jpeg

Too much day- job crap Today...... endless parade of meetings that just drained my soul...

Heading out to get on the mower and cut some grass

In like manner no car stuff today just packing parts in trailer for next load down South. Holy Smokes I got a bunch of crap. I was loading 2x6-14ft on the trailer thinking to myself how I used to just cut lumber up and burn it when I moved last time. Not this time, I am shipping every scrap! Be smart Craig on the running thing. I would argue you are not 100% yet, and I know for a fact once the whistle blows you will give 110%. It is healing from outside in giving the illusion it is healed when in reality it is still easy to tear again. Ask me how I know! I did get my fancy State Champion buckle today so it now adorns one of my rigs! Woo Hoo!

View attachment 1715968926
Cost of one of them boards will get you at least a 12 of Yuengling!

My big accomplishment today was taking the trash out. Lol. I did put out a LOT of cardboard. Break is over. Guess I should get back to work :(

-
Back