Stop in for a drink.

-
Got a note from my neighbor who owns a couple of neighborhood grocery stores. Picked up a bottle of Blantons. It's allocated and pretty hard to come by. Good thing I rushed over and picked up a bottle. 5 bottles sold in 2 hours! Thanks Jill.

View attachment 1715684058

View attachment 1715684095
You know all the cool stuff. Most of the bottles you post I have never seen or tasted. One of the reasons this is coolest thread ever! We get all kind of unbiased free reviews so we don’t throw away our money at the liquor store. If it doesn’t have a TMM stamp of approval (we need to talk to Dave) and or I don’t know what it is I don’t buy it! Hah! I bet Dave could create a TMM approval stamp!

You know all the cool stuff. Most of the bottles you post I have never seen or tasted. One of the reasons this is coolest thread ever! We get all kind of unbiased free reviews so we don’t throw away our money at the liquor store. If it doesn’t have a TMM stamp of approval (we need to talk to Dave) and or I don’t know what it is I don’t buy it! Hah! I bet Dave could create a TMM approval stamp!
:rofl::rofl: And I am a amateur compared to some of my friends. This bottle was in the $65 range and I just had to get it. On the back hoof of the horse is a letter. All the right letters together spells "Blantons". Tricky marketing on their part. Doug who owns the store was able to get all of them by buying a couple cases.
I just found out there is a fellow just south of here that makes displays out of barrel staves from Templeton Rye barrels. Pretty slick display for them. It would look great on the shelf behind the bar.

blantons cap display.png

Ted was smashed after our tasting. Apparently I am hard core. Lol (I am still standing) LOL.

20210205_173420.jpg

The Blantons is typical Kentucky Bourbon. It has a burn right off the top and fades into the distance. It is not a deep or complicated spirit. I would try another batch/barrel but not to drink on a regular basis. The Buffalo Trace I bought for $35 was about as good. Higher price is not always better. Like the master blender at Buffalo Trace said, their regular brand (Buffalo Trace) is his "Backyard bourbon". I agree.

Buffalo Trace

7B6B94F5-5E32-499B-AA62-6B38C2F5577C.png

Well, this is no fun at all.

It took me 3 days to clear off the last snow/ice storm which beat the hell out of me along with a slip and fall yesterday from hidden black ice that bruised the crap out of my left hip when I crashed into the concrete steps...we now are under a Winter storm watch for 4-9” of heavy snow starting late tomorrow night.

Rinse and repeat. I hope to be healed up well enough before I have to go out and do it all over again.

Maybe this time it will be just snow without ice so I can use the electric snow blower and make short work of it.

Maybe.

Anybody know anything about this little bottle of brown gold? I traded some cast aluminum welding for it. In shop now listening to some vintage Van Halen turned up to 11 and sipping a toddy. Preparing to bump Demon over this weekend.

View attachment 1715682073
Been waiting for the moment you crank that beast over John and when she fires off I'll be one happy camper. If there is anything you need help on that's body and trim I'll be there to help if you need me I'm not much help but I'll do what ever to see her on the road.

Too damn cold outside to shovel snow. Got the laundry done and the pulled port is shredded for tomorrow. I have enough for an army but there's only 3 of us. LOL I have been soaking up information by watching Buffalo Trace videos most of the afternoon. Fascinating industry that distilling stuff. I re-tasted the Blanton's. Oh it's way better than it was last night. I don't know whether it needs to breathe but we have noticed that a lot lately. Big Travis calls it the neck pour (the first pour on a fresh bottle) is not all that good.

I couldn't stop there. I had to try the Buffalo Trace as well. Damn, for a every day drinkin' $30 bottle it is good stuff. I bought a bottle of Cody Road Rye (from here in Iowa) that is really good. In fact my last sip was 10 min. ago and I can still taste rye spice and sweet. That usually doesn't happen with a rye.

Too damn cold outside to shovel snow. Got the laundry done and the pulled port is shredded for tomorrow. I have enough for an army but there's only 3 of us. LOL I have been soaking up information by watching Buffalo Trace videos most of the afternoon. Fascinating industry that distilling stuff. I re-tasted the Blanton's. Oh it's way better than it was last night. I don't know whether it needs to breathe but we have noticed that a lot lately. Big Travis calls it the neck pour (the first pour on a fresh bottle) is not all that good.
There is a reason for that.

“The first time you pop-open a whisky bottle it'll be tight on flavor, and less expressive on the nose. You'll need to leave it out in the glass longer to get it to show-up with its full flavors. The closer to empty the bottle gets, the more the flavors will either flatten out or exaggerate (depending on the whisky).

When you pour a glass of whisky, you can smell the alcohol, caramel, vanillas, and smoke (if it's peated) from an arm's length away. Whisky is volatile. When you pour your whisky, those molecules dispersed into the room. Chemists and physicists call this dissipation.

As these volatile molecules leave the bottle, this changes the overall flavor of the whisky. At first, the harsher volatile molecules depart smoothing out the flavor and rounding out the whisky. This is why the first pour of a new bottle needs to sit in the glass a little longer so that the harsher volatiles have some time to depart. Once the bottle gets poured a few times, the air that is introduced into the bottle gives those molecules somewhere to go and so you don’t need to let it sit in the glass to let them escape.”

There is a reason for that.

“The first time you pop-open a whisky bottle it'll be tight on flavor, and less expressive on the nose. You'll need to leave it out in the glass longer to get it to show-up with its full flavors. The closer to empty the bottle gets, the more the flavors will either flatten out or exaggerate (depending on the whisky).

When you pour a glass of whisky, you can smell the alcohol, caramel, vanillas, and smoke (if it's peated) from an arm's length away. Whisky is volatile. When you pour your whisky, those molecules dispersed into the room. Chemists and physicists call this dissipation.

As these volatile molecules leave the bottle, this changes the overall flavor of the whisky. At first, the harsher volatile molecules depart smoothing out the flavor and rounding out the whisky. This is why the first pour of a new bottle needs to sit in the glass a little longer so that the harsher volatiles have some time to depart. Once the bottle gets poured a few times, the air that is introduced into the bottle gives those molecules somewhere to go and so you don’t need to let it sit in the glass to let them escape.”
Thanks Dave. That's a great explanation. Makes sense.

Well, we are right in the core of the predicted snowstorm. 4-8” could settle on us tomorrow.

Thankfully, no mixed precipitation of sleet or ice is in our forecast for now. I’m just now feeling somewhat recovered from the shoveling of the last storm and should be ready to face removing this one on Monday once it’s over late tomorrow.

Tonight is a few cold beers and standing by to see what we actually get. Tomorrow will be a watch-and-see day without touching what falls since temps will drop into the upper teens tomorrow night. I will let the snow blanket be insulation against ice until I begin the removal process on Monday after the sun comes out.

Fingers crossed that the plan works. Otherwise, I have enough beer to wait it out until the conditions are in my favor to clear it off.

Cheers!

Well, we are right in the core of the predicted snowstorm. 4-8” could settle on us tomorrow.

Thankfully, no mixed precipitation of sleet or ice is in our forecast for now. I’m just now feeling somewhat recovered from the shoveling of the last storm and should be ready to face removing this one on Monday once it’s over late tomorrow.

Tonight is a few cold beers and standing by to see what we actually get. Tomorrow will be a watch-and-see day without touching what falls since temps will drop into the upper teens tomorrow night. I will let the snow blanket be insulation against ice until I begin the removal process on Monday after the sun comes out.

Fingers crossed that the plan works. Otherwise, I have enough beer to wait it out until the conditions are in my favor to clear it off.

Cheers!
20 below here and would take that any day instead of the snow, sleet and rain that you get.

I did a little math on the $2000 bottle of Eagle Extra Rare I posted above. 2 grand probably isn't too far out of line. First off you have the packaging which probably costs a hundred or 2 just for the bottle, lid and box. Next is the angels share. (the amount of spirit that evaporates out of the barrel in 20 years) About 20% evaporates out of the barrel in the first few years. After 20 years up to 100%. Yes they have opened 20 year old barrels and they were empty. Say there's only 20% left in the barrel after 20 years. That's only10 gallons or only about 40 bottles. You have to charge a lot for the good stuff especially because there's not much of it left. It is interesting watching the Buffalo Trace videos on You Tube, how much they are doing to understand the whole process so they can produce a higher quality product in a shorter time. They do a lot of R&D with barrel location, temperature, humidity, and fluctuation. The good stuff comes from particular locations in certain warehouses and if they can purposely duplicate those conditions they can produce a 8 or 10 year old quality product in 3 or 4 years. As far as the barrels themselves, they experiment with different woods for density and flavors and toast and char levels as well. It's crazy that no 2 barrels are alike. 2 barrels sitting next to each other in the rickhouse for 10 years with the same contents from the same batch will have slightly different flavors when all the variables come into play. One of the big reasons that single barrel spirits are so popular now days.
Sorry to ramble on. I find the whole industry quite fascinating. Some of these distilleries have been around for 200+ years and have a rich history to be told.

I did a little math on the $2000 bottle of Eagle Extra Rare I posted above. 2 grand probably isn't too far out of line. First off you have the packaging which probably costs a hundred or 2 just for the bottle, lid and box. Next is the angels share. (the amount of spirit that evaporates out of the barrel in 20 years) About 20% evaporates out of the barrel in the first few years. After 20 years up to 100%. Yes they have opened 20 year old barrels and they were empty. Say there's only 20% left in the barrel after 20 years. That's only10 gallons or only about 40 bottles. You have to charge a lot for the good stuff especially because there's not much of it left. It is interesting watching the Buffalo Trace videos on You Tube, how much they are doing to understand the whole process so they can produce a higher quality product in a shorter time. They do a lot of R&D with barrel location, temperature, humidity, and fluctuation. The good stuff comes from particular locations in certain warehouses and if they can purposely duplicate those conditions they can produce a 8 or 10 year old quality product in 3 or 4 years. As far as the barrels themselves, they experiment with different woods for density and flavors and toast and char levels as well. It's crazy that no 2 barrels are alike. 2 barrels sitting next to each other in the rickhouse for 10 years with the same contents from the same batch will have slightly different flavors when all the variables come into play. One of the big reasons that single barrel spirits are so popular now days.
Sorry to ramble on. I find the whole industry quite fascinating. Some of these distilleries have been around for 200+ years and have a rich history to be told.
I find that interesting Toolman and was wondering what is the best bottle you've ever tasted and the price.

We got the snow today as predicted. Started at about 7 am and we had about 4” by late morning when it looked like this...

A39E39AE-CD19-46F3-B4DD-C43D4C2E86F2.jpeg

Then the snow machine kicked in to high gear and we got another 2” by 2 pm before it ended at around 3 pm. The snow flakes were the size of potato chips.

I pulled out the snow blower as soon as it ended to get it cleared while the temps were still just above freezing. An hour later...done! Bonus was the plows came by and cleared the street and salted just before I got to the end of the driveway so it’s clear all the way into the street now.

3EEF94B3-191A-44BB-909D-5D7928802E6A.jpeg

And I didn’t get too beat up physically like I did spending hours chiseling the ice off like the last two storms. Time for some cold beer...Cheers!

We got the snow today as predicted. Started at about 7 am and we had about 4” by late morning when it looked like this...

View attachment 1715685624

Then the snow machine kicked in to high gear and we got another 2” by 2 pm before it ended at around 3 pm. The snow flakes were the size of potato chips.

I pulled out the snow blower as soon as it ended to get it cleared while the temps were still just above freezing. An hour later...done! Bonus was the plows came by and cleared the street and salted just before I got to the end of the driveway so it’s clear all the way into the street now.

View attachment 1715685625

And I didn’t get too beat up physically like I did spending hours chiseling the ice off like the last two storms. Time for some cold beer...Cheers!
Melted real fast and that's a good thing My youngest girl lives in Pittsburgh and about the same there.
We had a mild winter here so far only 3" of snow on the ground but getting to normal temps the last 2 weeks.

Melted real fast and that's a good thing My youngest girl lives in Pittsburgh and about the same there.
We had a mild winter here so far only 3" of snow on the ground but getting to normal temps the last 2 weeks.
Any snow storm that’s easy to clear is a bonus...and I will gladly take it!

Any snow storm that’s easy to clear is a bonus...and I will gladly take it!
Was 25 below here this morning not counting the wind chill but I rather it be this cold and snow than 20 or 30 above and snow. It's all powder at this temp and easy to move and doesn't stick to the roads.

Was 25 below here this morning not counting the wind chill but I rather it be this cold and snow than 20 or 30 above and snow. It's all powder at this temp and easy to move and doesn't stick to the roads.
The heavy wet stuff we get here is like shoveling bricks. This stuff today was so wet and sticky that the snow blower could only throw it a couple of feet. Had to start in the middle and do the outside edges 2 or 3 times to get it all off the driveway. If it freezes, forget about it. It has to be chiseled off a few inches at a time. We rarely get light fluffy snow.

-
Back