Stop in for a drink.

-
We for the first time got halloweeners. About a dozen. I think they were bussed in...

That darned Ted is a bad influence. We went to Cedar Rapids to check out a barrel pick or two. We stopped at Cedar Ridge, They were closed for lunch but open for tasting and retail sales. I was looking for a double oak but not until closer to Christmas. We then went to Hy Vee Wine and Spirits. We know the manager and does about a dozen barrel picks a year. All are stellar!
We tasted 6 and I bought 3. Ted bought 3 as well. One bottle we had in common, 4 were different so the others aren't far away. Damn, they were all so good it was tough not buying all 6.

View attachment 1715813995

11.1.21 all barrel picks from Dave Johnson2.jpg

Last edited:
When we left the liquor store today I asked Ted to ask Google "distilleries near me". I'll be damned if there wasn't a unknown winery and distillery in town but on our way home so we stopped by. It was in a strip mall/storage facility and pretty cool. They started with wine and branched into distilling. They grow their own heirloom corn and distill in a home made copper pot still with a thumper and a copper worm. Cool stuff and I bought a bottle of their "shine". Light, sweet, with the heirloom corn flavor, and just a hint of oak. We had a great time there and we wished them well. Oh and the bottles behind the still are freshly bottled limoncello that of course we had to sample and bring a bottle home.

20211101_140854.jpg

20211101_140900.jpg

20211101_171639.jpg

Well I got one for my collection. 2 releases a year and only 1 per store per week.

20211105_163715.jpg

20211105_163750.jpg

Not bad leaves were still to wet just rested up. you.

Ran down a bunch of odd bits and pieces of things I needed that weren't at stores I normally go to. Picked up some heavy outdoor furniture thread and hook needles to put the sun visors back together where they've split. Found that crazy one-off battery for the garage door opener. Stuff like that

May delay my trip to Florida for a week or so.
A guy up in New England area has a front fender. 7 1/4 suregrip rear and other parts for 64 he wants to sell.
He won't be back thought till after next week.
I think he said he has a slant and a few 318 poly motors. I have no interest in those. Pm me about it.

Damn. I didn't take any pics. Next time. Ted and I just got finished with our first official tasting. Only 2 people but thy were very nice and attentive. It wasn't long and they were nosing and tasting some fun flavors. I think they had a good time and learned some things. The coolest thing is that I asked the bar owner (a black guy) to tell the story of Uncle Nearest Bourbon (Uncle Nearest was also a black guy? and he rattled it off without a hitch. Overall a great night.

Damn. I didn't take any pics. Next time. Ted and I just got finished with our first official tasting. Only 2 people but thy were very nice and attentive. It wasn't long and they were nosing and tasting some fun flavors. I think they had a good time and learned some things. The coolest thing is that I asked the bar owner (a black guy) to tell the story of Uncle Nearest Bourbon (Uncle Nearest was also a black guy? and he rattled it off without a hitch. Overall a great night.

I need some training..

This one is nice. Has a "buttery" finish. (??)

So this is what we tasted last night, no semblance of order or theme, just a spirited tour thru the bar. We had a blast. Shop looks like a crime scene this morning. Always a good indication that good time was had by all! Cups, paper towels, grapes, cracker and cheese bits everywhere!

B2A8437E-948F-433C-A13C-774B0540A3A1.jpeg

So this is what we tasted last night, no semblance of order or theme, just a spirited tour thru the bar. We had a blast. Shop looks like a crime scene this morning. Always a good indication that good time was had by all! Cups, paper towels, grapes, cracker and cheese bits everywhere!

View attachment 1715816776
LMFAO. Looks like you-all had a good time.

View attachment 1715816776
I need to get another bottle of 1792. Great stuff and not expensive...

For the what it is worth category the hands down winner in our impromptu tasting was a Buffalo Trace Barrel Select from Happy Harries. It was quite tasty, second place went to the rabbit and after that it was a free for all of enthusiastic opinions and passion. At some point rationale thought went out the window and we had all kind of discussions around the merit of this one or that one. It was a hoot. Clearly this group is not ready for a organized official tasting session. We started out with a bit of order and decorum, very rapidly deteriorating into pure mayhem and bottles being pulled off the shelf Willy Nilly and no two guys tasting the same thing at the same time. COVID precautions were non existent as glasses got poured then passed around as each individual tried to sway another to his opinion that this is the best bourbon ever. It was all family and we were celebrating a newly adopted little girl into our family. Just a absolutely great evening.

-
Back