Strange Antennas (rear) 65 barracuda

-

NW_Fish

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Have you ever seen antennas like these two on the back of a 64-66 barracuda? Mine is a 65. A regular customer at the Auto Parts store I used to work at said they were an option on these cars. Just trying to look into it a little more. They aren't functional, just decoration. What do you all think?

Attachments

• Picture0523141930_1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 487
  • Picture0523141929_1.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 489
Yup, mid century bling. Did you get the matching fuzzy dice, barefoot pedals and curb feelers?

Hahaha. I do have some fuzzy dice, but I refuse to hang em up. I will most likely remove these permanently when I decide to take the car to paint.

Wow,
Very cool never seen them before.
Being nonfunctional does seem odd in an era when things had a purpose.
Keepers 4 sure but pm me if you are not attached to them, I'd like to buy them as I'm a fan of the obscure.
Thanks for sharing that.

Looks like some JCWhitney stuff. Kinda cool though.

Trying to look like the Impalas that were its contemporary, perchance?

Looks like some JCWhitney stuff. Kinda cool though.

Thought about these for a while after seeing them and actually pondered the same thing.

I'm wondering if there is a dealer option list available for 65. I guess in some regards it would have to be model specific but some stuff could be universal. Anybody know if these kind of lists still exist. In the process of dismantling two 65's currently and pulled a day/nite mirror off of one that somebody extremely well versed in 65's said they had never seen before.

Hemi, I kinda wish they were functional. One of the people who owned the barracuda before me severed the coax cable on the the stock antenna. Being a poor starving college student I dont like the idea of paying 160 dollars to buy a repop antenna. I am looking into a RediRad AM adapter that doesn't require an antenna to play music.

Hemi, I kinda wish they were functional. One of the people who owned the barracuda before me severed the coax cable on the the stock antenna. Being a poor starving college student I dont like the idea of paying 160 dollars to buy a repop antenna. I am looking into a RediRad AM adapter that doesn't require an antenna to play music.

Not that I had thought about it, but had never heard of the Redirad. Dang if ya don't learn something new every time ya come in here. Wish one of the 65's I am parting had the antenna intact I could have hooked ya up. I actually grabbed off of one the antenna that was laying in the back seat housing was still on the car but the rod had been snapped off at the base. Being a machinist bet I could drill out the broken stud from the housing and rod and make a new one. Ah, so many projects, so little time. C'mon lottery, grant me more time to work on these old Mopes.

https://rediscoveradio.com/

It is a pretty cool idea. You hook it up to your AM by plugging it into the spot where you would normally plug an antenna in, tune to AM 1000, and you can play music using MP3s or smart phone apps. I like the idea because there aren't any good oldies AM stations up here in the NW, and I like to listen to the old 60's and 70's classics when I am cruising around town. Hahaha I totally know what you mean, waaay to many projects and extremely little amount of time.

https://rediscoveradio.com/

It is a pretty cool idea. You hook it up to your AM by plugging it into the spot where you would normally plug an antenna in, tune to AM 1000, and you can play music using MP3s or smart phone apps. I like the idea because there aren't any good oldies AM stations up here in the NW, and I like to listen to the old 60's and 70's classics when I am cruising around town. Hahaha I totally know what you mean, waaay to many projects and extremely little amount of time.

Their website from my phone has no information or tech specs mobile, or destop site.. I'd be interested, but have doubts. Is it blue tooth? Does it have usb? Does it also charge if it does have usb? If it can work as a phone interface? Etc. Any where else to find info on it?

These never came from the factory on a Barracuda, they don't even look Mopar but aftermarket from the 1960's, many people added them to their cars.

That's the second set I have seen, on the web, on a early A.

I had the exact pair on my 57 Dodge Coronet, aftermarket ones, only one had a wire, other is a dummy one, those are different than the rare ones Chrysler used in the late 50's on their "fin cars"

Their website from my phone has no information or tech specs mobile, or destop site.. I'd be interested, but have doubts. Is it blue tooth? Does it have usb? Does it also charge if it does have usb? If it can work as a phone interface? Etc. Any where else to find info on it?

They make an negative ground, and a positive ground version for 12 volt cars. It uses a 3.5mm auxillary cord that you can plug into your phone or MP3. I don't think it will charge the device. The device itself plugs into the coax on the back of the radio that your antenna would originally plug into. I will see if I can find the old instructional video on youtube. They took them off the market for awhile. They go back on the market on June 2nd. When I get one, I will make a video, and post it so everyone here can see how it works.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-uznlSY59U"]A must-have for the classic car guy. - YouTube[/ame]

This is the older model. I'm not sure how much different the newer model that comes out on the 2nd will be.

Maybe it is a diversity antenna system which switches on the millisecond between which antenna is receiving a clearer signal with less multi-path distortion and buffers it all in a vacuum tube before pushing it thru that single speaker in the dash.

Sure are cool looking.

I had factory duals on my 57 Fairlane 500. Cant remember if they both had wires though. Things started getting crazy in 58...

Hi, everyone-

There were questions about which music devices will work with RediRad. Short answer is, almost everything with a headphone jack (even so-called 'smart' phones!). Also, as mentioned above, RediRad uses a 3.5mm (1/8") audio plug to retrieve your music - it does not have a USB jack at this time (maybe in the future). The reason being that devices with an analog audio output is by far more common than USB. RediRad does not charge devices, either. The user connects his device with RediRad with charged batteries; again, something we may offer in the future.

Here is a new Demo video:
[sorry to make you endure the nerd who's doing the talking! ;-)]

Lastly, the all-new RediRad website has a lot of info (and more being added regularly) ...or, if you want to ask the inventor (me!) any questions, please reply here or send me a message thru the site, and I will do my best to help.

Thank you for supporting an American small business!

yours respectfully,
~Matt

AM-P with labels small.jpg

REDIRAD - Rescue Your Radio

Ahh, a new & improved digital age version of the old FM converter I put in My '69 back in '83, I think it's still in a box around here somewhere LOL!!

-
Back