Street\Strip 408..Boiling it all down

-

aengineguy

Reaction score
Greetings to all...first Post! I have spent a couple hundred hours reading all the words of wisdom in this forum. Would like to get your comments and suggestions for picking a cam and estimated et and hp for my 408.

71 Dart, all steel cept for cowl hood, battery and cell in back, cast crank, eagle rods, forged pistons, shooting for 10.4 squeeze, fully prepped 91 360 block, Milodon pan, windy tray, ARP studs on mains and heads, eddy 60779 heads no porting, Crane 1.5 gold rockers, air gap, 750-800 dp holley?, orange box sparky thing with blaster coil, 3000 verter in front of prepped 904, 4.10 8.75, CE slide-a-link with snubber, frame connectors, planning on 8 pt cage, Wilwood discs on front.

Appreciate any feedback and insight.

Thanks......!!

welcome !

Sounds pretty good so far. What cam are you running ?

Also I had problems getting headers to clear the Milodon pan. TTIs were the onlt set I found that fit out of the 4 pair I tried.

Thanks AdamR,

Have not picked a cam yet, wanting to get some suggestions. I had planned on getting the Milodon, but not ordered yet. Headers not purchased, but would like to go with the TTI's.

Thanks.......!!

AdamR,

I was sortof pondering 235-240 @.050 with around .530-.550 solid. I understand the flat mechanical will give me a little faster opening. Vacuum not a problem no pb.

Not that I would not like to have the roller, but thee money.....and thee little Redhead I am married to. I am trying to do the best with the budget I haves.

Thanks.......

Welcome aboard and AMEN to that last post!

My 2 choices would be;

A Hyd. XE285HL from Comp Cams. This Hyd. cams takes advantage of the .904 lifter well. @ .050 241/247 - .545 on both or similar Lunati.

or a solid; similar to the Hyd. specs with a few more degrees of duration. Comp Cams also has a XE/HI-Lift mech. cams that also take good advantage of the .904 lifter. Also, look at a Lunati again.

I don't know. I'm not to concerned with est. HP, just interested in a balanced combo or one to grow into later etc....... a well set up chassis will beat the crap out of a stock chassis with a stronger engine anyday.

Your est. With my choice cams and head prep, HP looks about right, maybe a tad high. Like I said, it doesn't really matter.

If it is a 91 360 block, that should be a factory roller cam setup. I have a 89 360 block running a comp cam extreme energy cam in my 408 stroker.

DSCF3470.JPG

DSCF0860.jpg

Thanks Jimmyray, you are correct the engine did have rollers in it. Maybe in the future I will go back to one. It was in a truck and I was suprised to see it came with a windage tray.

Maybe up-grade to the chrome "sparky thingy". I do recall the orange box is only good to 6500rpm's & im sure your 408 will turn every bit of that! I know my orange box on my duster gets fussy when I really tach it out. (pops & coughs).

AMEN to that last post!
Ahh yes, nothing like being single when it comes to buying parts,
now if I could solve the lack of money part I'd have it made!

IMO, the Chrome box with proper ballast resister will take care of that and cheaply.

jimmyray, whose rockers and push rods are you using??

The rockers are the ones Indy included back (3 years ago) when they sold Ede3l Perf RPM heads ported and polished. The pushrods are custom ones from Hughes Engines, to go with the roller tipped rockers. They are noisy, though, much more so than I would have thought. I've heard this is typical of Roller Tipped Rockers, though.

They are noisy, though, much more so than I would have thought. I've heard this is typical of Roller Tipped Rockers, though.

Even a tiny bit of valve lash will do that. Of course, the more lash you have, the more noise it makes. I took off my rollers on my eddie heads with a Hyd. cam in it. The racket wasn't to bad, but loud enuff for me to be annouyed by it.

Even a tiny bit of valve lash will do that. Of course, the more lash you have, the more noise it makes. I took off my rollers on my eddie heads with a Hyd. cam in it. The racket wasn't to bad, but loud enuff for me to be annouyed by it.

I re-re-re-adjusted the Passenger side, and only tightened to no lash, where I could not rock the rocker (?) by hand. Put on the cover, tightened it up, and it made lots of racket. Retightened all by 1/2 turn, and it helped, but now it's just noisy. May try the stamped rockers, but not sure if they can handle the lift and strength of the springs.

I have basically the same setup in my duster,Using the comp xtream 282s 244/252 @50 520/540lift. First time to the track with street tires and stock suspension and 355 gears ran a 12.4 thru the 1/4.With a good suspension and some stickies 11's should be a breaze.This is with unported eddies and a 750DP holly.

I have basically the same setup in my duster,Using the comp xtream 282s 244/252 @50 520/540lift. First time to the track with street tires and stock suspension and 355 gears ran a 12.4 thru the 1/4.With a good suspension and some stickies 11's should be a breaze.This is with unported eddies and a 750DP holly.

GREAT!

What headers & compression are your running? What Intake? What size exhaust. My best 1/8 is 7.862, which adjusts to about 12.05, with slicks & open headers. I would like to get into the 11's, and think it is doable with tuning.

-
Back