stupid shop tricks

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Glad OSHA wasn't around...

Posted from phone so don't hate on pic orientation

Also this was basically a parts block that I needed off my truck but didn't have a chain. Fan belt worked nicely! But remember safety first...but not in this pic! :)

Go ahead and post up some lack of judgement shots you may have, we won't judge.....too hard.

Here are 2 pics I'm not too proud of but it worked. As Al Davis said, " Just win, baby!'

Aw F it, I can't seem to rotate the pics on my tablet.

Attachments

• IMG-20140105-00376.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 560
  • IMG-20140105-00375.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 557
Someplace, don't remember where, someone was putting a Ford Y block? into a car and buckled the shaft on one of those popular orange cherry pickers

what's that g54b going in ?

Ye olde lil G54B came out of my Dodge D50 4x4 (was a short lived engine swap that replaced my 2.5L Turbo Diesel) and the 273 beside it went into the D50 as soon as I pulled out the 4 banger.

that lil mitsu creature now powers my Dune Buggy project.

I've heard old V-belts are very popular in doing that sort of work. Some guys swear by them. I've never tried it.

Well, I did double it up. Most are Kevlar reinforced, that's tough stuff.

On my end, I've used Seat Belts to lift engines/cars/whatever.

Just remember to double or triple knot them! Bought an engine from the yard one time, and they left their seat belt "lift strap" attatched. Used it to lift it off the truck with a chain hoist, pulled truck out of the way, and started to let it down. Suddenly, "BAMMMMN!!!" engine on shop floor six inches from my foot, oil pan smashed, crankshaft broken. After the initial "What the F--K!!??", I realized one end of the strap came UNTIED.

I have used seatbelt straps hundreds of times since, but I ALWAYS triple knot them.

Glad OSHA wasn't around...

Posted from phone so don't hate on pic orientation

Also this was basically a parts block that I needed off my truck but didn't have a chain. Fan belt worked nicely! But remember safety first...but not in this pic! :)

Go ahead and post up some lack of judgement shots you may have, we won't judge.....too hard.

That's a good trick to remember in a pinch. I had no idea a fan belt was so strong. Thx

Just for fun, try to break a good V-belt. No nicking or cutting allowed, just brute force and ignorance.

Your set-up as you did it is probably safer than a chain.

I,ve had a 3 1/2 ft tire bar(for changing truck tires at the roadside)for 20 years.I,ve always used it when swapping engines,rearends.It works great for prying an engine into place or spreading leaf springs for rearend placement.After using it for so many years,its one of the first tools I have handy when taking on a heavy job.:-D

when I was in high school, a friend's dad would change an engine in his Pinto by stacking a couple pieces of firewood in front of it, then put a long 4x4 (probably and 8' fence post) across the firewood and use it as a lever to lift the engine out and then roll the car back and set the engine back down...

Just for fun, try to break a good V-belt. No nicking or cutting allowed, just brute force and ignorance.

Your set-up as you did it is probably safer than a chain.

x2

My machinist uses an ancient gates V belt that he's had in his shop forever, just like you're showing. You'll break that cast intake before that belt goes. He used the belt through the cam support casting to pick the block up from the truck and on to his cart. In a way, depending on what you're picking up, it might actually be more intelligent to use a V belt, because it won't scratch the crap out of things.

when I was in high school, a friend's dad would change an engine in his Pinto by stacking a couple pieces of firewood in front of it, then put a long 4x4 (probably and 8' fence post) across the firewood and use it as a lever to lift the engine out and then roll the car back and set the engine back down...

I love it.

I used two really big tie down straps, crossed up under the roof of a '66 D100 cab, hung from an I beam in the shop to get under it for rust repair, because the lift was too cumbersome, to get to the cab to frame points that needed rust repair.

Honestly, after I load tested it and bounced it with all of my weight, I felt safer under that strap hanging cab, than under one on a lift that would only take a little bump to topple off of one of the lift arms. I had gravity working for me, clamping the roof of the cab, instead of against me if I budged the cab off of a lift. I could rotate it all over the place to get to areas, if I needed to, without anything blocking my view from underneath.

-
Back