Stupid things you have done

-
Too many to write but this one left a real impression. My buddy and I need to put a clutch in my 68 el camino and didn't have any jack stands. So the two genuises decide to use 4 cbs concreate blocks stood on end. Got car up on blocks under frame pulled tranny and replaced clutch and buttoned every thing back up. I the process of jacking the car up to pull the blocks one crumbled and car shifted and other blocks crumbled and car roared to the ground. My buddy and I kinda looked at each other and we both were white as Casper. Car not damaged but went and bought jack stands after test drive. Angel watching over us that day.:prayer:

I for one am really enjoying that fact that I am not the only one that scews up! Keep the stories coming people!

It seems that 96 cherokees and 2000 durangos share the same key blank... I was on the phone with the towing company to have the jeep towed then I discovered I had the wife's durango keys.....That was close..

did the car survive?

Both sides of the Dart scratched beyond belief by tree limbs, both mufflers ripped off,
snapped antena and a dented driveshaft.

Mud everywhere, and weeds stuck in the front-grille, while the car was
sitting in about a 2-feet of swamp muck.

How the under-carriage didn't get destoyed, I'll never figure that one out.

Thank God my 16 year-old girlfriend only weighed 95 lbs.

High school auto shop had a dual post lift that had independent controls. Guy manned the rear post only and propped up his car at about a 45 angle before he looked back.... wasnt me but everyone saw it after the auto shop teacher screamed "STOP!!!!!"

Similar thing happened in my auto shop class. Two post hoist with independant controls but it was the shop teacher's new truck on the hoist coming down and the overhead crane hooked his rear bumper. That truck was completely off the back hoist and close to a 45 degree angle before the shop teach saw it and started screaming.

Was tearing apart a Aspen had it jacked up and was in the engine bay taking off the front clip my knees were under the cross member when the Jack failed I sat out side screaming for some one in the house to come get the car off of me for 20min finally just lifted it up and pulled my legs out the next dayi could'nt stand up straight and I stayed half bent over for a week before my back would let me straighten out

These stories are great!! LOL

A couple more....one I remember I was about 6 years old(1973) and dad had bought an old snowmobile...He was an OPP at the time so he had to be legit with everything. So in the garage he was putting on one of those goofy flourescent orange flags you mounted to the back...Got it on, went to drive the sled outta the garage and it snapped off in the overhead garage door...his favorite swear word then was "PRICK" He never did buy another one....

Helping a friend putting "helpers" in the coil springs in his 72 Torino to raise the arse end...used 2x4's stacked flat with the bumper jack to get it WAY UP.....front wasnt blocked I was under and it started to roll fwd...buddy grabbed the jack and I went to change my pants.

My dad told me a story of my great uncle who was a mechanic....used a milk-crate to block up a car. They came out and he was underneath dead....dumbass!

Did the same thing as pishta with the drill/priming before we dropped dads 273 in no sender and the drill on frickin high speed...tasted like ****!

When I was a lot younger I had a 65 Chevelle that I had bought from my friends dad. It was a bit damaged needed a grill, front bumper, windshield and motor mounts but the price was right. Not having to much money left after buying the car replacing the windshield and registering it, I decided to hold off on the motor mounts. About two days later I had my friends with me and we were just crusing around when out from between two parked cars ran a little toy poodle, not wanting to run the dog over in front of its owner I slammed on the brakes and stopped in time. In the process I sent the whole motor forward into the radiator breaking it in two. After two new motor mounts a transmission mount, Fan, radiator and about $150. I was back on the road. Boy was I pissed.

Guess the best laugh has to be the fork truck motor incident

But some others have to admit been there done that.

This is a great thread for some laughs

Back in the late 80's the folks bought a Volvo wagon, I was home for the weekend from college, lets go for a family sunday drive, got about 20 miles from home and the car dies, Dad hitchs a ride home, gets another car, tows the Volvo home, the rotor is not turning in the distributor, "timing chain musta went", get radiator out, and just start to tear front of engine apart, and for some reason someone pushed the rotor down and it popped back on, turned it over and the rotor was now turning, put it all back together, ran then died, checked and rotor had popped off again, new rotor did the same, it would run and drive then every once in a while the rotor would pop off. One day a ball joint came apart in the Volvo, Dad got it back together and wrapped a piece of chain around it, drove it home, then drove it to the junkyard.

Long list...
Jumped over a barbed wire fence while streaking then then danced on the picnic table.
Jumped out of a moving 4-WD... just missed the back tire with my head.
Shot my brother in the arm with a .22 cal rifle while hunting.
Shoveling rock in the driveway during a lightning storm.
Sold my cherry 1970 AAR cuda/ 1970 cuda 440-6 barrel/ 1970 Barracuda convertible/1979 Lil Red Express
Married the wrong girl
And the list goes on and on lol :violent1:

There's not enough bandwidth for mine...lol. Anyone that's never done anything, or only had one, is lying...lol. From losing some eyebrows to carb pops to starting a cascade of reactions that started with getting shocked by a Jacob's Energy Team and ended with me crawling in the house conscious but blind after putting my hand into the running engine's fan blades...lol

Went to prime a SB chevy without tightening the chuck on the drill all the way. Didn't notice until the drill starting spinning very easy, looked down to see metal shavings pouring down the distributor hole.

Once did a cam swap and after tightening down the rockers went to fire the engine up only to hear "snap...ting ting ting!" Turned out one of the pushrods wasn't seated properly in the lifter cup. Nice chrome moly pushrod broken into three pieces.

I built a dune buggy back in the late 60's that had a Corvair engine on a VW chassis. Got it all done and discovered I forgot to flip the axle and ring rear. Pretty useless with 1 speed forward and 4 speeds in reverse. Since then I haven't done anything stupid.................LOL

when i was 15 i brought home a 318 that i wanted to rebuild. brought the short block into the house and had on a stand in my bedroom. once i got the heads on and engine built it was too big to fit thru the door. ended up cutting the door frame apart to get the engine out. mom was not very happy.

bunch of them,was a carlot mech for a while, engine swap 6 cyl-6 cyl scamp. took about four hours, i was flying through it. got done fired it up, knock knock, forgot to tighten the flexplate...vacation in hawaii 17 years oid downhill skateboard run, started to wobble,no problem just jump off.cant run 30 mph.you can for about 20 feet then road rash city.screwing around on my rd 400 yamaha pick up this chick (my girlfriend then) take off quick front end in the air,girl sitting on her *** in the street.driving around with my buddies just getting dark spraying people with a fire extingisher filled with water,sprayed my girlfriend.same one that came off the back of the bike...

First vehicle '74 Ford Window van...wouldn't start, Replaced everything, Battery, Alt, start, dist, rotor cap, plugs, voltage reg, name it, starter, just to let it be the battery cable.Back then $3.99 or so, I spent $300.00 on parts. My Dad just shook his head. I said look on the bright side, it'll run for a while now!

trying to get the distributor in the right place in my '66 mustang 289 (which had a gear that would go in about 8 different ways instead of the blade the mopar distributors have on them) and start it up.
Would try it, pump the gas a few times, turn it off and try again. Well, one time, I left the key on when I went out to pull it. And when I pulled it I created a spark (with all that unburnt fuel inside the engine).
So the resulting explosion knocked the distributor out, slammed my hand up against the inside of the hood, and deafened me for about 10 minutes:eek:ops:

On the bright side, she ran great after I finally got her going again. But I also blame that incident on the 8 (yes, eight) cracked pistons I found a couple years later when disassembling the 289 for rebuild lol.

Put Dodge A100 pickup on the hydraulic lift with arms adjusted to contact frame about like any other vehicle. While lifting truck noticed the front looked a little heavy but decided it would be ok. When lift stopped at highest point back of truck kept going until it lodged against the ceiling. Got a rope around the back bumper and pulled it back down while the boss lowered the lift. The was the hardest I ever saw him laugh but he assured me he would fire my butt if it happened again.

I built a dune buggy back in the late 60's that had a Corvair engine on a VW chassis. Got it all done and discovered I forgot to flip the axle and ring rear. Pretty useless with 1 speed forward and 4 speeds in reverse. Since then I haven't done anything stupid.................LOL

Now that's funny right there

loaned a car out....

the only newer car i ever had ...1998 Dodge Neon R/T with the DOHC ....had every option ....triple black ....2 door

loaned it out to my friend and she rear ended a truck ....i tried to fix it ...but when they total little cars like that ....its better to let it go.

i never messed with a newer car after that ....my newest car has been 1973 since then and i dont let anyone except my cousin drive any of my cars.

my cousin only bcoz he got me half my cars plus he is different case LOL
but other than him ....ppl ask "can i drive your car" and i say "gee, i didnt realize we were such close buddies here" NOWAY

-
Back