Subframe Connectors....buy or make?

-
when I did my Volare (yeah I know, not an A body) I made my own. Yeah, it was 10+ years ago I know... but Id be surprised if I had $20 and 1/2 a day into the whole deal.

I've worked on a car with US Car Tool connectors. A huge pain to install parking brake cables (at least on this particular 1970 Charger) and had some problems with fuel lines. I'll continue to make my own.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be nice if they had a flanges running along the top where it meets the floor pans, would look super stock. Make the connector even more ridgid but still allow for some metal to metal flex / movement like origional spot welds do

I made a set like described on a 69 Dart I had. Never took pics. I hand hammered them over a 4' piece of railroad track, traced out the floor contours on a piece of cardboard , added 3/4" to that and tediously hammered the flange. I know where the car is now and hope to take some pics at some point. I did it before cell phone cameras lol .

Those of you guys installing them while on a rotisserie, are you doing the work while the chassis is tipped on its side? If so, any concerns that you’re welding some preload into the structure?

I welded mine sitting flat on the rotisserie. I was concerned but luckily had no issues with suspension alignment and door alignment. Launches straight .But I do see your point.
My Ragtop never saw a rotisserie but Upper door gaps were closing up slightly after 200K Miles so I nervously hung the back suspension down then welded. Gaps came out the bomb. I was Leary and wouldn't recommend it. I was a bit lucky.
I would think doing the subframes sitting on the suspension 1st before putting on a rotisserie would be a better scenario .

Those of you guys installing them while on a rotisserie, are you doing the work while the chassis is tipped on its side? If so, any concerns that you’re welding some preload into the structure?

Did mine sitting flat on a rotisserie as well. No issues, car sits perfectly flat, gaps are perfect. Car is finished now going on 4 years/5000miles and only one small repair where we attached the new roof section that a crack appeared.. That was 3 years ago. You do make an excellent point though and I may have just gotten lucky.

Yes well my Seam seal has a thin crack in the filler panel seam in front on trunk and between Qtrs..440/500 stroker no cage so I'm getting some twisting.

I think you would get some twisting with that combo!

I am using the Hotchkiss, I like the way they fit and pretty easy to install. 1972 Plymouth Scamp 408ci, 904 trans, 8.75" Sure Grip.

I am using the Hotchkiss, I like the way they fit and pretty easy to install. 1972 Plymouth Scamp 408ci, 904 trans, 8.75" Sure Grip.

you won't be sorry, same can't be said about the bank account thou

-
Back