Subframe Connectors, just do it!

-

dusterglenn

Reaction score
We finally got the subframe connectors welded into my Duster on the weekend. I forgot my camera, so I didn't get any "in progress" pics. My recomendation is Do This To Your A-body!
I bought a "bolt in" Competition Engineering set. But, for somebody with the fab skills, they wouldn't be too hard to build.
Everything people say about the impovements they provide, all true.

I have a set on my spare parts car , bolted on , not welded . Do you think it would take away the value of the car down the road if I ever decide to sell ? The car is 99.9 % stock , except for headers . I would like to put them on (better handling , less body flex ) , but
don't want to hurt the value of the car . Original 1970 swinger 340 .
All the stories of how much better the car feels is tempting , especially since I have set sitting in the garage .
Decisions !!

Weld them in. Bolting does help, not as much as welded.

Here are the ones I just built 2x2, .083 wall tube and some 3/16 plate to wrap the rear frame rails.

frameconnectors.jpg

frameconnectors001.jpg

I like the U. S. Car Tool weld-in set because they are laser cut on the open upper end to follow the contours of the floor panels; i.e. they tie the floor into the connectors.

Where did you get them from Glen? I'm looking for a set to weld into my 70 Dart fairly soon.

I got mine from Mopac, in Langley. I actually got them a few years back, it just took me forever to get them installed. I'm sure they were WAY more expensive what than most guys could build them for. But, i'm lacking the fab skills and shop space to whip up a set in my "spare time".
The ones I bought were from Competition Engineering.

I like the U. S. Car Tool weld-in set because they are laser cut on the open upper end to follow the contours of the floor panels; i.e. they tie the floor into the connectors.

I agree, I didn't have to do much fitting to get them snug either, +1 from me.

Yeah, I think frame connectors are the single biggest improvement to any Mopar. Stock or otherwise. I like those US Car Tool ones, too. It just makes sense that the more of the sheet metal you tie in the stronger it is. Since they weld to the floorpan too, they are pretty damn strong I bet. Mine will have a pair one of these days.

I'd like to buy from US Car Tool, but when I filled out the form, it said it doesn't recognize shipping to my area of Canada.. ? Hmm.

They are easy to build. Weld them in for better results than bolting. Cost me about $27.00 for material.

I'd like to buy from US Car Tool, but when I filled out the form, it said it doesn't recognize shipping to my area of Canada.. ? Hmm.

I ordered mine by calling the U.S. Car Tool phone number noted on their website. John was a wealth of information, too, regarding other areas of body stiffening.

-
Back