Submarines Don't (didn't) Fight One Another

-
The USS Cobia is moored in the Manitowoc River in WI. Been on her a few times...they start the one complete engine every year and make a party out of the occasion.

Manitowoc Ship Building built subs during WWII. They tested them off the Red Banks in Lake Michigan. 400 ft + as I recall.

In the background, early in the video, you will see the SS Badger... she's a coal fired ferry that runs between Manitowoc and Ludington, MI. It's an official part of US Hwy 10 and on the Register of Historic Places as I recall.

uss cobia

Thanks, Krooser! Nice link and great to see these boats preserved for the younger folks to see what they were like.

Best regards,

Harry

I was only aboard one boat in port, a friend came up to see me from NAS Miramar from the sub docks down S San Diego. I wish I could remember the name, I believe it was the last or perhaps one of 2 or 3 diesel fleet boats still in service. This was ?? 71-2-3 don't remember. So we go down there, and there the damn thing is, every hatch and door open that safe to open, and has been so for whatever period they were tied up there. Even so, the damn thing smelled like a mix of sweat, mildew, dirty clothes, diesel, battery acid, "the toilet" and maybe even a little puke. He showed me his (shared) rack above a torpedo. had a 1-MC (the PA system) great big sharp cornered metal box above his head. Not EVEN enough room to turn over hardly, and neither of us were "big" guys. NO THANK YOU and kudoos to the guys who did.

I've read some about WWII and the trouble the U.S. had with torpedoes, and how some suppliers and bigshots damn near torpedoed their own guys and themselves because they were too damn egotistical and stubborn to admit there might be a problem. Who knows how much shorter the war might have been if we had had a few more successes. Even so, subs on all sides scored a tremendous kill tally at the loss of a very high percentage of boats and personnel.

Definitely brings back old memories.
Served on a diesel USS Remora SS487 from 10/70 to 09/73.
You never could get that smell out of your clothes.
Decomissioned and given to Greek Navy in Oct> 73 ( HS Katsonis ) they operated her a few years and now she has been sunk and used as a reef.

Definitely brings back old memories.
Served on a diesel USS Remora SS487 from 10/70 to 09/73.......

ss487_2.jpg

:) This may bring back some memories of the old girl around that time......

http://navsource.org/archives/08/pdf/0848717.pdf

Fair winds and following seas......

Harry

:) In her later GUPPY III configuration, Remora looks quite a bit like the Gudgeon (my favourite of all the subs I worked on). Gudgeon is a Tang Class boat completed in the early 1950s......

Tang-class submarine - Wikipedia

Best regards,

Harry

-
Back