Sudden loss of trans fluid

-

John'sDuster340

Reaction score
After a spirited jaunt....my transmission fluid emptied on the road. Underside of car covered with fluid.

I was manually shifting from 1st to 2nd and about half mile down the road I started to smell the fluid burning on the exhaust pipes. Pulled over and the fluid rolled out to my feet...not good. I had the vehicle towed back to my house.

Any ideas what may have happened? I did not hear any bad noises or see any apparent cracks or breaks. I cannot see where the leak is coming from but it seems really wet by the trans line fitting on the driver's side. I will put the car on jack stands and fill the trans again to see if I can pinpoint where the leak is. Any other tips?

Thank you

Ok, I put the car on jack stands and added 2 quarts of Dexron. The trans did not leak as the car idled in Park. As soon as I put it in neutral the 2 quarts poured right out. The fluid is leaking out of the bottom of the bell housing where the torque convertor is...right out of the inspection cover.

Would this be a front seal or possible broke the convertor? Does the transmission have to be taken out? Thanks in advance for your comments.

John

Sounds like front seal is leaking, possibly converter hub bushing worn. Yes, you will have to pull the trans to repair but with a good book like HP Books "Torqueflite A-727 Transmission Handbook" available at Mancini racing among other mopar places the repairs are not that difficult.

Thanks Dartman. I'm thinking that it is the front seal. I went out and bought a transmission adapter for my floor jack. Will help with the removal/installation.

Any tips/suggestions on removing the transmission?

What type of car are we dealing with?
Get it off the ground as high as you can so you can get to it.
Drop drive shaft. Have a plug or heavy duty zip lock bag and duct tape ready to put over tail shaft of tranny or your gona make a mess. Tape over caps at rear of drive shaft. Disconnect battery. Remove starter. Disconnect linkage, neutral switch wire, and kickdown rod, cooler lines from tranny. Unbolt flex plate from convertor and it needs to be drained if it has a plug then slide the convertor backwards into the tranny. Remove dipstick tube. Support the engine at rear of oil pan with jack stand or a jack. Place a block of wood or pad on oil pan first so as not to bang it up. Drop rear tranny cross member support after tranny is supported with jack. It may be necessary to drop engine/tranny assembly a little to get to the bolts on the bellhousing. Watch the oil filter on the engine. It may need to be removed to give you clearance while dropping the assembly. Unbolt tranny from engine block. Should slide back wards.
Ok guys what did i miss?

Great write up Small Block...your advice will come in handy. My car is a 70 Duster 340 with 727 torqueflight. I know that I will have to turn over the engine to get at all the bolts on the flex plate. How do I do this?

Can't remember what size the crank bolt on front of the engine is but 1-1/4" seems to come to mind. Just turn it over with a breaker bar until you can get to the bolts. Just don't forget to remove the breaker bar before you start the engine(long story)!

I didn't have a breaker bar or the or the large socket so I bolted the started back up and tapped it until I got to the other 2 bolts....it worked fine.

Now I am having a difficult time getting to the top 4 bolts where the engine meets the trans.

-
Back