T.N.A.C.C.B.P.P. EQ360

-

IQ52

Reaction score
I'm really tired of competing against others and comparing builds against those that may be similar and have been posted online sometime in the past. So-and-so did this and joe-blow got that. Before I quit the game, I wasn't sure I wanted to post anything on The Not A Camp Cry Baby Pissy Pants EQ headed 360 I've been asked to build. But it sounded like the owner would like to see some information posted on the engine. Therefor..............

This is the first set of EQ heads I have ever seen, and I like what I see as a stock replacement head.

So, one verse of our 'swan song' as we go out, will be a stock stroke 360 with some Engine Quest heads. It is supposed to be a pump gas only, more race engine than street engine, that can be comfortably driven on the street.

So why are we using a "stock replacement head"?

I've lived long enough to see that almost any head in the right hands, can be made to produce some pretty nice horsepower.

Right now we've only got the EQ-CH318B heads. We have installed a 2.02 +.100" intake valve, relocated the rocker shaft studs for better geometry with the longer valves and Chevy roller rockers, did a real quick port job on one intake port only, and picked up 20 cfm @ .450", 30 cfm @ .500", 40 cfm @ .550", 40 cfm, @ .600 and 35 cfm @ .700". Yes I measured the flow at .700" though there is no plan to go there.

Right now these iron EQ heads flow the same, on our bench, as the 2.02/1.60 CNC ported aluminum AFR 1399 head for the small block Chevy. We used the AFR 1399 head on a 383 small block Chevy and it made 518 HP on pump gas.

It should be fun to see what this 360 will do.

I'm really tired of competing against others and comparing builds against those that may be similar and have been posted online sometime in the past. So-and-so did this and joe-blow got that. Before I quit the game, I wasn't sure I wanted to post anything on The Not A Camp Cry Baby Pissy Pants EQ headed 360 I've been asked to build. But it sounded like the owner would like to see some information posted on the engine. Therefor..............

This is the first set of EQ heads I have ever seen, and I like what I see as a stock replacement head.

So, one verse of our 'swan song' as we go out, will be a stock stroke 360 with some Engine Quest heads. It is supposed to be a pump gas only, more race engine than street engine, that can be comfortably driven on the street.

I've lived long enough to see that almost any head in the right hands, can be made to produce some pretty nice horsepower.

Right now we've only got the EQ-CH318B heads. We have installed a 2.02 +.100" intake valve, relocated the rocker shaft studs for better geometry with the longer valves and Chevy roller rockers, did a real quick port job on one intake port only, and picked up 20 cfm @ .450", 30 cfm @ .500", 40 cfm @ .550", 40 cfm, @ .600 and 35 cfm @ .700". Yes I measured the flow at .700" though there is no plan to go there.

Right now these iron EQ heads flow the same, on our bench, as the 2.02/1.60 CNC ported aluminum AFR 1399 head for the small block Chevy. We used the AFR 1399 head on a 383 small block Chevy and it made 518 HP on pump gas.

Will be watching this closely. Really wish I could afford to have sent you a 318 poly head engine to play with. I bet you'd make that sucker scream!

Very few people move the stud to correct geometry. It's a PITA but the only real way to do it correctly.

Can't wait to see the numbers. I love stock stroke builds.

Especially for the price I was really impressed with the EQ heads.
They could come with better valve gear and sleeved guides, but then they wouldn't really be a stock replacement head with a great price.

I always heard that porting EQ's was almost pointless due to their design, but dang 40cfm increase with a light porting tells another tale.
I take it most of the porting was in the bowl.

Last edited:
IQ52 I have a set of those from dealer Eric Haugland in Las Vegas. How do you relocate the rocker stud holes and what chebby roller rockers are you useing or what kind would you recommend to me? (claimer so I dont want to get too exhorbitant). thank you for your time.

IQ52 I have a set of those from dealer Eric Haugland in Las Vegas. How do you relocate the rocker stud holes and what chebby roller rockers are you useing or what kind would you recommend to me? (claimer so I dont want to get too exhorbitant). thank you for your time.

Jim what compression and intake manifold do you plan to use? EQ's are an unassuming head on the surface but can be real power producers. J.Rob

Oh please DON’T let this be the “Swan Song!”

I put the heads in my vertical mill and moved the stud center .050" towards the intake port. I used a 7/16" stud versus the 5/16 stock one because the .050 movement with the 7/16 stud left just a tiny bit of the old 5/16 thread in the original hole. Now the bosses that hold the stud are not very heavy duty and never were designed to carry such a massive stud as the 7/16, so I'm using the Jomar stud girdle to help keep everything solid. The .050" movement wasn't enough to get the rocker centered directly over the valve with the perfect swipe (geometry) on the roller tip, but I can still get the minimal movement with it being slightly towards the exhaust. It's still going to push straight down on the valve with very little side pressure. We should have excellent guide wear.

The rocker arms we are using are the Scorpion Endurance rockers SCP3001 in 1.5 ratio. I plan on just grinding the cam big enough the 1.6 rockers aren't necessary. Because this will be used on the street also, we'll probably not go much over .600" lift and it'll be easy to get that with a 1.5 rocker ratio. Moving the stud and using the 1.5 ratio may allow me to use a 3/8 pushrod.

[QUOTEthatblefish360, post: 1971869831, member: 1189"]Oh please DON’T let this be the “Swan Song!”[/QUOTE]
X2 on that! But, if you must, I hope you will keep us around. We appreciate you!

Jim what compression and intake manifold do you plan to use? EQ's are an unassuming head on the surface but can be real power producers. J.Rob
We are going to use a Strip Dominator. The compression ratio is still up in the air, but likely no less than 10.5:1. I've got iron headed small blocks running on pump gas at almost 11:1 right now.

I probably should add that I'm big fan of using the parts that the owner already has, and he has a Strip Dominator. I've always wanted to try some things on Strip Dominator. Aaaannnnd we just happen to have and Edelbrock 340 Victor just laying around here on a shelf somewheres.

Last edited:
I'm anticipating another question, the cam? It will be a custom solid roller.

We are going to use a Strip Dominator. The compression ratio is still up in the air, but likely no less than 10.5:1. I've got iron headed small blocks running on pump gas at almost 11:1 right now.
Polished chambers and perfect quench?

Ok, now I'm really excited (my wife will like that later) and can't wait to see the numbers.

I probably should add that I'm big fan of using the parts that the owner already has, and he has a Strip Dominator. I've always wanted to try some things on Strip Dominator. Aaaannnnd we just happen to have and Edelbrock 340 Victor just laying around here on a shelf somewheres.

Thanks Jim. I'm getting the impression this engine is either complete or almost complete. Am I warm? J.Rob

Thanks Jim. I'm getting the impression this engine is either complete or almost complete. Am I warm? J.Rob
Sorry J.Rob, not even close. I've got the cylinder heads and intake manifold. I've got more parts for the fuel injected 505 hemi, the 426 hemi, the slant six, the 496 wedge and the 440 than I have for the TNACCBPPEQ360. And no parts for the 347 Ford. This will be a multi-verse swan song. And I'm not in a big hurry.

-
Back