T.N.A.C.C.B.P.P. EQ360

-
Sorry J.Rob, not even close. I've got the cylinder heads and intake manifold. I've got more parts for the fuel injected 505 hemi, the 426 hemi, the slant six, the 496 wedge and the 440 than I have for the TNACCBPPEQ360. And no parts for the 347 Ford. This will be a multi-verse swan song. And I'm not in a big hurry.

Ok...it's not like you are going to retire by thanksgiving??

Don' retire, just turn away most work and keep it as a hobby, like I did.

If only there was a switch that would just freeze time, we all need breaks from the phone ringing...

Sorry J.Rob, not even close. I've got the cylinder heads and intake manifold. I've got more parts for the fuel injected 505 hemi, the 426 hemi, the slant six, the 496 wedge and the 440 than I have for the TNACCBPPEQ360. And no parts for the 347 Ford. This will be a multi-verse swan song. And I'm not in a big hurry.
Blah Blah Blah, Hemi Blah , slant siwhaaa who what?!! OK, now I'm interested!! Zaktley what is up with the Slanty project?

I've got more parts for the fuel injected 505 hemi, the 426 hemi, the slant six, the 496 wedge and the 440 than I have for the TNACCBPPEQ360. And no parts for the 347 Ford. This will be a multi-verse swan song.
Don't I remember you saying you are approaching 70? I adore you.

I know a couple guys, one 76, the other 85...see them at the driving range from time to time....they're always asking me if I have any work I can give them. Flooring guys, probably 40-50 years in it a piece.

I play hockey with a few guys in there 70s and 1 in his 80s... But he played NHL for the Leafs.
I think you should retire right after my short block... Lol. I was looking forward to the drive and picking up my old friend Kevin just north of Stanley on the way. You guys could talk about stuff way over my head... Lol. Kevin was like a Mopar savant...
Had a plane crash a few years back and hasnt been able to do much with Mopars since...

Don' retire, just turn away most work and keep it as a hobby, like I did.

That's how I do it.
The first set of EQs I saw and looked closely at, went on a local short track racers. NASCAR 2bbl, cam size limited. No port work allowed. Made 485hp on a 360 in that form. They flat out work, and work great. I just wish they could use the LA rocker systems...lol.

Anyone doing the chevy rockers thing, I`ve got a half set of "less than a hundred miles", lifetime guaranteed scorpion 7/16, 1/6 roller rockers , I`m not going to use . LOOK brand new !-----I changed cams and didn`t re use them--------bob

I'm really tired of competing against others and comparing builds against those that may be similar and have been posted online sometime in the past. So-and-so did this and joe-blow got that. Before I quit the game, I wasn't sure I wanted to post anything on The Not A Camp Cry Baby Pissy Pants EQ headed 360 I've been asked to build. But it sounded like the owner would like to see some information posted on the engine. Therefor..............

This is the first set of EQ heads I have ever seen, and I like what I see as a stock replacement head.

So, one verse of our 'swan song' as we go out, will be a stock stroke 360 with some Engine Quest heads. It is supposed to be a pump gas only, more race engine than street engine, that can be comfortably driven on the street.

So why are we using a "stock replacement head"?

I've lived long enough to see that almost any head in the right hands, can be made to produce some pretty nice horsepower.

Right now we've only got the EQ-CH318B heads. We have installed a 2.02 +.100" intake valve, relocated the rocker shaft studs for better geometry with the longer valves and Chevy roller rockers, did a real quick port job on one intake port only, and picked up 20 cfm @ .450", 30 cfm @ .500", 40 cfm @ .550", 40 cfm, @ .600 and 35 cfm @ .700". Yes I measured the flow at .700" though there is no plan to go there.

Right now these iron EQ heads flow the same, on our bench, as the 2.02/1.60 CNC ported aluminum AFR 1399 head for the small block Chevy. We used the AFR 1399 head on a 383 small block Chevy and it made 518 HP on pump gas.

It should be fun to see what this 360 will do.

Error, error.

The 1399 is a Ford head, they go on the next build. We used the AFR 1034 2.05/1.60 on the 383 Chevy, and on our bench the EQ heads now flow a little better than the 1034 head flows on the same bench.

Cutting the spring pockets to size for the dual springs...........

James Culp EQ heads.jpg

Relocating the rocker studs. The left one is the original 5/16..............
James Culp EQ heads 002.jpg

Roughing in the intake seats for porting. The chamber on the right is the first test port.......
James Culp EQ heads 005.jpg

Finished intake ports. Can't go wild here as I don't have a test head to cut up.
James Culp EQ heads 014.jpg

Finished intake and exhaust seats. Yes the thin blue line is the 45 degree intake valve seat and the wide blue line is the exhaust's 45 degree seat.
James Culp EQ heads 016.jpg

Error, error.

The 1399 is a Ford head, they go on the next build. We used the AFR 1034 2.05/1.60 on the 383 Chevy, and on our bench the EQ heads now flow a little better than the 1034 head flows on the same bench.

Cutting the spring pockets to size for the dual springs...........

View attachment 1715113001

Relocating the rocker studs. The left one is the original 5/16..............
View attachment 1715113002

Roughing in the intake seats for porting. The chamber on the right is the first test port.......View attachment 1715113003

Finished intake ports. Can't go wild here as I don't have a test head to cut up. View attachment 1715113004

Finished intake and exhaust seats. Yes the thin blue line is the 45 degree intake valve seat and the wide blue line is the exhaust's 45 degree seat. View attachment 1715113005

Hopefully the guy who wants to do his own valve jobs sees the picture of your top cut.

1st test intake manifold flows for the OOTB Holley Strip Dominator and the OOTB Edelbrock 340 Victor.

Strip Dominator port window is .970 X 2.150 = 2.086 sq. in.
340 Victor port window is 1.000 X 2.015 = 2.015 sq. in

Port #.............Strip D............340 V

1)....................257 cfm...........256 cfm
2)....................257..................257
3)....................251..................261
4)....................262..................261
5)....................261..................263
6)....................264..................261
7)....................256..................257
8)....................259..................257......................it all seems pretty equal

Now I've got to put the manifolds on the head and see what flows we get through the two intakes.

Will one of them flow through the head better than the other?

Then I'm going to port the Strip Dominator but I don't know yet about the 340 Victor.

There is a big difference in plenum volume. The 340 Victor is 4" deep.................

James Culp EQ heads 020.jpg

...................and the SD is only 2-15/16" deep.............

James Culp EQ heads 019.jpg

340 Victor on the left and Strip Dominator on the right. Though both intakes are about the same height, the way the runners approach the head port is a bit different. Notice how tall the Victor runner is and the runner height leaving the plenum and the angle to the port? Much bigger air gap on the Strip Dominator. I really should port them both and run both of them on the 360.
James Culp EQ heads 021.jpg

1st test intake manifold flows for the OOTB Holley Strip Dominator and the OOTB Edelbrock 340 Victor.

8)....................259..................257......................it all seems pretty equal

Now I've got to put the manifolds on the head and see what flows we get through the two intakes.

Then I'm going to port the Strip Dominator but I don't know yet about the 340 Victor.

There is a big difference in plenum volume. The 340 Victor is 4" deep.................

View attachment 1715114380

View attachment 1715114381

340 Victor on the left and Strip Dominator on the right. Though both intakes are about the same height, the way the runners approach the head port is a bit different. Notice how tall the Victor runner is and the runner height leaving the plenum and the angle to the port? Much bigger air gap on the Strip Dominator. I really should port them both and run both of them on the 360.
View attachment 1715114382

If you extend the runners in the Victor, and size the port entrance accordingly, run a 1" open spacer with the plenum blended up it'll make 20lb.ft. more TQ at least...and about 20-25HP more most times. I cut D shapes, 5/16 thick, weld them in and clean up the welds...works really good!

If you extend the runners in the Victor, and size the port entrance accordingly, run a 1" open spacer with the plenum blended up it'll make 20lb.ft. more TQ at least...and about 20-25HP more most times. I cut D shapes, 5/16 thick, weld them in and clean up the welds...works really good!

Never works for me. The view is definitely not worth the view for me. FWIW the SD is the one I would pick. J.Rob

View attachment 1715114380

View attachment 1715114381

View attachment 1715114382

Vic 340, I picked up flow using a 7/16 spacer blended from throttle bore to the carb flange. I have it all in a journal I gotta dig it up. Think I got 260 something after some port matching and light plenum blending when bolted to the head.

Never works for me. The view is definitely not worth the view for me. FWIW the SD is the one I would pick. J.Rob
Are you sizing the runners in the plenum? If it doesn't work, either the tuning rpm is off, or the header design is wrong...or both!

Are you sizing the runners in the plenum? If it doesn't work, either the tuning rpm is off, or the header design is wrong...or both!

Agreed, I can never figure out what is wrong though. After a few times I have written it off on small cube stuff. Maybe larger engines respond to this mod? J.Rob

Agreed, I can never figure out what is wrong though. After a few times I have written it off on small cube stuff. Maybe larger engines respond to this mod? J.Rob
You first have to get back the volume that you lose by extending the runners...AND size the port entrance in the plenum larger...then work from there. I actually use the SV intake, and extend those + size the runners and add at least 1" of open spacer.

-
Back