T.N.A.C.C.B.P.P. EQ360

-
I'm worried this thing will never run good. Because......I can't get any more from a pump gas engine than 629 HP from a RHS/Indy headed 424/360 and 787 HP from a RPM headed 451/400. I fear this engine will one big dog too.

What'd you ever do with that 451? Can I have it? Christmas is comin, you know.

Sorry Bobby-Roberto, It is in the shop truck, de-tuned to 580 HP.

Knock 2-2.5 points of compression and about .140" valve lift will do that. Still a bloody impressive 451. Could you please tell us more? Maybe in a new thread? The 451 build is my absolute fave BB build of all time. They flat out work and the R.O.I is the best. J.Rob

What'd you ever do with that 451? Can I have it? Christmas is comin, you know.

Sorry Bobby-Roberto, It is in the shop truck, de-tuned to 580 HP.

Knock 2-2.5 points of compression and about .140" valve lift will do that. Still a bloody impressive 451. Could you please tell us more? Maybe in a new thread? The 451 build is my absolute fave BB build of all time. They flat out work and the R.O.I is the best. J.Rob

Okay usah-guys. I already listed the parts, this morning, in a post here................

440 rods in 400

The OP can choose the low compression 400 or one with a little more kick.

Tunnel Ram? We don't need no stinking Tunnel Ram.....................we just gotta find somebody to finish porting this thing.

James Culp EQ heads 028.jpg
James Culp EQ heads 029.jpg
James Culp EQ heads 030.jpg
James Culp EQ heads 031.jpg

I did something similar ( defintily not as nice as Jim's work) but i blended the corners on my w-2 strip dominator intake and added a 1" HVH spacer and 1/4" wooden under that, then hand blended all the runner edges going down from there. wow was it better all around! Better idle quality, faster throttle response, and when I ran my car on a cool night (70-75*F in FL) , when i would open the hood and check the temps of the runners and headers, that spacer would be sweating with condensation. and the exhaust temps would be better matched! Im a believer!

DFFEC998-DEEB-4EBF-A7F2-9B1734E5CFB8.png

I did something similar ( defintily not as nice as Jim's work) but i blended the corners on my w-2 strip dominator intake and added a 1" HVH spacer and 1/4" wooden under that, then hand blended all the runner edges going down from there. wow was it better all around! Better idle quality, faster throttle response, and when I ran my car on a cool night (70-75*F in FL) , when i would open the hood and check the temps of the runners and headers, that spacer would be sweating with condensation. and the exhaust temps would be better matched! Im a believer!
I’d love to see the finished work on the intake myself that IQ is doing. These intakes are (now) known to have fuel separation issues. I have always had an improvement with a spacer. I Never blended the spacer in the past.

After roughly blending the 4150 adapter into the spreadbore plenum, we have gained another 15-20 cfm in each port. We're up 60 cfm in each port from stock. I'll now permanently epoxy the adapter in and finish up.

James Culp EQ heads 032.jpg
James Culp EQ heads 033.jpg
James Culp EQ heads 034.jpg

Jim, how much height did you add to the plenum with that spacer? I usually weld mine up but I know I could use some more plenum.

Jim, how much height did you add to the plenum with that spacer? I usually weld mine up but I know I could use some more plenum.
I used a .750" plate and set .450" of it into the plenum and it raised the carburetor .300". If I ever do this again, I will use a 1" plate and raise the front of the spacer an additional .250"-.300" so that the carburetor sits level on the manifold and is not tilting forward. It'll mean I have to realign the carburetor mounting bolts to set perpendicular to the altered surface, but that is why God made heli-coils.

Of course I'll be testing the 2" HVH Super Sucker spacer also. So far every engine I have used the 2" on has made more power over the entire rpm range.

I used a .750" plate and set .450" of it into the plenum and it raised the carburetor .300". If I ever do this again, I will use a 1" plate and raise the front of the spacer an additional .250"-.300" so that the carburetor sits level on the manifold and is not tilting forward. It'll mean I have to realign the carburetor mounting bolts to set perpendicular to the altered surface, but that is why God made heli-coils.

Of course I'll be testing the 2" HVH Super Sucker spacer also. So far every engine I have used the 2" on has made more power over the entire rpm range.

Thanks for the info.

This experimentation looks so fun, of course outside of the real-life issues you have to deal with. I'm only 26 but I seriously hope to be in a position when I retire from my career field where I can basically set up my own machine shop and build engines all day long. Maybe do some builds for people I know every now and then but mostly just for the sake of "R&D" you could call it lol.

People talk about taking up golf or traveling a lot when they retire; golf sucks and traveling might be nice but overall I just want to be in a big shop surrounded by engines and parts all day long. "He died with a torque wrench in his hand" LOL

Any updates? Have you flowed or dynoed yet?

Error, error.

The 1399 is a Ford head, they go on the next build. We used the AFR 1034 2.05/1.60 on the 383 Chevy, and on our bench the EQ heads now flow a little better than the 1034 head flows on the same bench.

I'm being purposely vague. Here are the advertised flows for the CNC'd AFR 1034 head.

195cc SBC Street Cylinder Head

This is the only update I have. 183cc intake port volume and 68cc exhaust. What was stock, 172cc?

Finally got to test the AFR1388 cylinder head we are going to use on the 347 Ford stroker. Turns out, that on our bench, our EQ head will flow as good as the 185cc CNC ported aluminum head flows on our bench. Still, we're a long way from firing this 360, or whatever it turns out to be.

185cc SBF Street Cylinder Head

Both of those AFR cylinder heads make a nice street head. Now that the AFR1388 flows as well, it should be really nice up top. If that doesn’t make for an enjoyable ride......

The owner got sidetracked by a few other projects. It sits as it was on the last posts.

I thought I was taking a long time to build my motors. Well actually I guess I am but I'm at least picking away at it a piece at a time. Sometimes more and sometimes less that is.

-
Back