tech questions for my 360

-

razorback

Reaction score
i just bought a mostly complete 1973 360 with what seems to be early 80 heads (has the 360 cast on top of them) is this common or a good thing to have? guy i got the motor from didnt know much about it, it looks mostly refreshed.

i also plan to randomly update this thread with questions because im kinda new to small block stuff and what works with what setup.

this is what i found:

are these good? average?

Looks like they were produced for the 318 out of a 360 stamping. I'm sure someone will come along and advise you if these are good for your application. They have 1.88/1.60 valves, which is good. lets see what the others think. Mike

4027596 1981-1983 318 HP (cast-in 360) 1.88" 1.60" 66cc - 72.5cc

Depends on what you expect out of them. For a mild street set up there not bad. But they will not flow what the X or J head will with the 2.02-1.80.

also they have had some headwork done to them, not sure how much, but the emissions stuff was removed and etc.

i dont need anything radical now, just something thats not going to choke it out. ill post the cam im considering getting tonight.

SGBARRACUDA said:
Depends on what you expect out of them. For a mild street set up there not bad. But they will not flow what the X or J head will with the 2.02-1.80.
I'd like to see the proof in that - unless 596s are not all the same - as my set with 202/160s were better than the Js with same valves - especially the exhaust.
Nothing wrong with 596s.

388dart said:
I'd like to see the proof in that - unless 596s are not all the same - as my set with 202/160s were better than the Js with same valves - especially the exhaust.
Nothing wrong with 596s.
Sure if your going to retro fit the 596's with good 2.02 valves. My comment was as they are.

can someon reccoment a good cam for a 360 that seems to be for the most part stock, with a torker 2 intake? i had one picked out but i think its a little too extreme for what i want. i need a convertor too. my rearend is 4:10 but soon plan on putting in 3.55s

2.02 Intake valves are of little use on an engine that is not regularly turning in excess of 6000 rpm. For a street motor the 1.88's are more than adequate and arguably will make more power in the low mid range than a head with 2.02 valves.

FWIW, all 340/360 heads up to the magnum head have the same port size/shape and all have the same potential for making power. Magnums have a much better exhaust port shape to go with the modern high swirl closed chamber.

Razorback, you can go to Competition Cams website and tell them your engine/trans/car combination and what type of build you are looking to do, and they will make a cam recommendation for you. Its takes a couple days for them to reply back, but it will give you a good idea of what you are looking for, and its also free. Mike

guy i got the motor from didnt know much about it

Do you really trust it then..buying a mystery motor..as for the heads if they have 2.02/1.60's in them someone put them there...

he had done business with the guy he got it from before, neve rhad an issue in the past.

Like stated, for the most part all iron 340/360 heads are pretty much the same. Only real differences are the early heads (68071) had 2.02 intake valves and some later heads have air ports in the exhaust ports.

-
Back