Thanks a lot NAPA :(

-

74Dart318

Reaction score
So I purchased a Brake booster from NAPA. They had to special order it from Cali. So after taxes and the freight it came out to about 200 bucks... which is fine I just wanted the damn thing. I pick it up today and I get home and I check it out. I was to say, A tad bit dissappointed with what I saw. It looked as if this box had been thrown around without any care at all. I am planning on taking it back tomorrow.
Here are some pics of the part. You can see how beat up the box is... and I am not entirely sure if the bolt at the top of the booster is supposed to be so bent or not...
Any comments are welcome

dart 012.jpg

dart020.jpg

dart 013.jpg

dart 014.jpg

dart 015.jpg

dart 016.jpg

dart 018.jpg

dart 019.jpg

I gave up on napa,to many wrong parts and snotty counter help.

I normally go to Autozone,look it up online first and have the part number and if they have it

man that sucks for you, Our local Napa is the best. I wouldn't be to upset about it though. It's just a bolt. Most of the stuff I get from other parts stores on special order is totally wrong and it takes several tries and days to get it right. Hope they take care of you and that part though!!

I believe those bolts come like that from the factory.......To date, I've never seen one that wasn't bent.......it's to keep the thing sealed shut.

Any other damage or marks on the booster?

I have never had a problem with NAPA. Return your part and I'm sure they will rectify the problem. It wasn't the NAPA store that damaged the part. It was the shipper, so let the store deal with them. Just ask NAPA to replace the part. Sometimes **** happens and we just have to deal with it. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Thanks for the replies. I should be going to NAPA within the next hour. Ya I just hope the quality of the booster has not been jeopardized. I will keep you guys posted with what happens today.

Yup. The bolt holding it together is supposed to be bent. It had to be that long to first reach the span of a relaxed band. So they draw it down with a power driver and bend the excess down. Simple, cost efficient, and more secure than most alternatives.
You're not the first to whine about it though. LOL

Lucky it's just the bolt ... if you had to return the booster to NAPA and it was a special order, every NAPA store I've ever dealt with had a 10-15% "restocking fee" they charge you even if they're the ones who messed up and ordered the wrong part.

A bit off topic, but I for one miss the old days of friendly counter staff and getting the right part the first time. When they all started relying on computers rather than catalogs, we all now have to rely on the accuracy of the typist on their end.

Alright so our local counter man (he is there almost every time I have been to this NAPA location) said that it should be fine. My main worry is that maybe something internal has been hurt. I do not want to put the part on and then have it not work and then have it not be covered by the limited lifetime warranty. That would suck. So we will be up around 6 am tomorrow trying to beat the heat and put this thing on and hopefully (fingers crossed) it will work.

Being bent like that also means the bolt will have to be bent back or broken for removal thus posible tampering and voiding the warranty.

Although I must agree that when yours was shipped or handled by whomever, it was not handled delicately for sure!

When I got my new boster for my Charger it came with one of the mounting bolts completely cross threaded and stripped!!!! I noticed this when I checked it out before even leaving the store and wasnt happy after waiting almost 2 weeks for it. They could not claim it was me for sure but it was not them either. The can was a reman one and must have been stripped by the remanufacturer.

Anyway they got a replacement for me in 2 days exress air from whereever... thats what they told me anyway. (This was "Part Source" affiliated with Canadian Tire here in Canada)

When I got my new boster for my Charger it came with one of the mounting bolts completely cross threaded and stripped!!!! I noticed this when I checked it out before even leaving the store and wasnt happy after waiting almost 2 weeks for it. They could not claim it was me for sure but it was not them either. The can was a reman one and must have been stripped by the remanufacturer. quote]

Stripped threads most often come from previous owners. The reman people should have seen it and replaced the stud.
I've found stripped threads in altenators, cotter pins missing from starters.
I always inspect any reman'd part .

I wouldnt worry about it.
i cant think of anything inside the booster that could be damaged by shipping anyway..

Got the booster on and I am pretty sure it works. yay :)

Got the booster on and I am pretty sure it works. yay :)

There is a possibility that mine is leaking. It's off my '74 Duster 318. I just wanted to know how difficult it was to install? I have never messed with these before but would like to know what kind of a job it is before going into it.

Thanks

brian,
its not hard to install a booster, just unbolt everything, take it off, bolt the new one back on. no tricks, just make sure everything goes together like it should and you'll be fine. shouldn't take more than 1 hr. to replace.
-Tim

I don't think that's a Napa problem, looks like a fine job from UPS. Everything I get from them is either broke , damage or just plain beat up !!!!! I don't think it's anything to do with getting a new bolt for the bent one. .. . I would return it just how I received it. There's no way I would put that part on my car - new bolt or not.!!!! They're shouldn't be a problem returning it for damage...... Another thing, I wouldn't buy ANYTHING from Auto Dome that was difficult to install and RE_INSTALL. I've had some nightmare experiences with they're parts. They'll always take them back if there's a problem, but how many times ya want to change the part ???

There is a possibility that mine is leaking. It's off my '74 Duster 318. I just wanted to know how difficult it was to install? I have never messed with these before but would like to know what kind of a job it is before going into it.

Thanks

Ya it is not difficult. I was worried at first a little but it only took an hour. This was basically my first time doing this myself. It was 8 bolts. Take the 4 off that connect the master cylinder, Support the cylinder in front a little bit so you do not have to remove the brake lines. then take the back 4 bolts off and there is a cotter pin you have to detach the pedal from the booster. Then remove and put the new one back on the opposite.

all[/I] now have to rely on the accuracy of the typist on their end.

Hence the reason professional shops don't actually deal with AZ unless it's absolutely necessary. Interviewed there once. No sh**, because I actually know something about cars I was told I was over qualified. Their idea of a counter person is someone who knows how to use the computer, not someone who knows cars. My local NAPA? The owner hires guys who used to work in shops. Guess which one I deal with? I would deal with AZ on a bet, knowing it's the McDonalds of parts stores.

I don't think that's a Napa problem, looks like a fine job from UPS. Everything I get from them is either broke , damage or just plain beat up !!!!! I don't think it's anything to do with getting a new bolt for the bent one. .. . I would return it just how I received it. There's no way I would put that part on my car - new bolt or not.!!!! They're shouldn't be a problem returning it for damage...... Another thing, I wouldn't buy ANYTHING from Auto Dome that was difficult to install and RE_INSTALL. I've had some nightmare experiences with they're parts. They'll always take them back if there's a problem, but how many times ya want to change the part ???

Hence the reason I don't buy from 'em! I worked for a supposed "professional" shop once upon a time that dealt with AZ almost exclusively (my boss and AZ's manager had a serious bromance going on) and I got tired of having to do the same job twice...or three times...or four times.... Put an alternator on an E250 cargo van four times before I got one that would charge. Put three fuel pumps in a Caddy before I got one that would work. Had a customer show up for a new radiator in an F150 and had to send him home because AZ sent me the wrong one. Got fired from there because I couldn't take the fact that I was loosing money every time I got an Auto Zone part and let the boss know it, rather loudly, rather rudely.

-
Back