Thanks Amazon?

-

fl 71

Reaction score
I do try to support local retail stores when ever possible however occasionally we do order from Amazon.
Think the one really good things Amazon and other E-Trade Companies have done is given retailers a wake up call and have enlightened them to the lost art of customer.
Your thoughts.

I do try to support local retail stores when ever possible however occasionally we do order from Amazon.
Think the one really good things Amazon and other E-Trade Companies have done is given retailers a wake up call and have enlightened them to the lost art of customer.
Your thoughts.
I agree, but if the local retailer of a particular item is charging more than twice the Amazon price, I'm sorry, but I'm going with the lower price. Not the most popular view, but that's just me, I guess.

As a small business owner its up to me to give the customer good reasons to buy from me. Good prices, better product information, better guarantees, expert advice, in house servicing and after sale support to name a few. There is no such thing as customer loyalty anymore, we have to earn each sale every time. Only the strong survive.

I used to try hard to use local businesses. But more and more they don't have the item I want and to them it is too much trouble to order it. It's like they only want to sell you what they want to sell you, not what you want!! Amazon will have exactly what I am looking for, delivered to my door in 2 days.

I agree, but if the local retailer of a particular item is charging more than twice the Amazon price, I'm sorry, but I'm going with the lower price. Not the most popular view, but that's just me, I guess.
Me too. On the one hand, if we do not support local businesses, there won't be any. But on the other hand, people cannot support local businesses if their prices are ridiculous. Perfect example. My wife sews and knits a lot. She found a neat floor lamp just for that purpose by a company called Otto. Their price was $229 (plus about $20 sales tax = $249). I found it online for $159 free shipping no tax. I went to the local store and said, "I realize you might not be able to sell it for that price, and I would like to support a local business, but can you work with me at least a little. Otherwise I am going to have to go with saving $90." The answer was NO.

I buy 90% of my auto parts in my home town... Good prices, mostly same day delivery of special orders (order by noon get by three) and no shipping hassles.

I use OReillys for my special tool needs and Rock Auto as a reference catalog...their shipping rates are stupid high.

As a small business owner its up to me to give the customer good reasons to buy from me. Good prices, better product information, better guarantees, expert advice, in house servicing and after sale support to name a few. There is no such thing as customer loyalty anymore, we have to earn each sale every time. Only the strong survive.
The small retailer does have a lot going against it. E-Commerce has no sales tax, better buying power, and people who find it easier to tap on a few computer keys than get in the car. I share your frustration. My company, now sold, was in the music industry and had to compete with the likes of Yamaha who gave music stores incredible financing terms. We found our specialized market and gave great customer service and kicked butt in our section of the market place.

I’ve been buying a lot of stuff from Advance Auto parts. What I find weird is that you buy online and have shipped to home, or buy online and pickup in store, you save money. Like every time I visit their website a 20% discount code pops up saving me money. If I just walk into the store and buy something I’m going to be paying the higher price. No 20% off.

Sorry, I know this thread is more about customer service so here’s another.

Stopped for gas this morning, local u-pump-it. I walk in, say good morning, she says nothing. I hand her some cash and ask her to put $30 on pump #2.
She takes the money, punches a few buttons and sits back down, and again says nothing. I say thanks and walk out.

Is it too much to say hello, or morning, or how’s it going?

Stopped for gas this morning, local u-pump-it. I walk in, say good morning, she says nothing. I hand her some cash and ask her to put $30 on pump #2.
She takes the money, punches a few buttons and sits back down, and again says nothing. I say thanks and walk out.

Agree. Was a partner in a community bank a few years back. We would send in "shoppers" into the bank and they would report back to the board how they where treated by the staff. Think more retailers should participate in this practice.

On the other hand (and I realize this was an odd day)
I walked into the bank today and the girl just wouldn't shut it
Kept trying to make small talk and I was just not in the mood for it

On the other hand (and I realize this was an odd day)
I walked into the bank today and the girl just wouldn't shut it
Kept trying to make small talk and I was just not in the mood for it
I understand. The banks put so much pressure on the teller line and personal bankers now it's crazy. Was in the bank last week to deposit a sizable check from a car sale. After they told me there would be a TEN day hold she asked if I would open one of their "Special Accounts" with those funds. Just had to laugh at her.

I try my best to support local business but do buy online when there is a major price difference and the local is not interested in at least negotiating a bit. My kids prefer to buy everything online but the one thing I tell themis that it is cheap and shipping id free for now. Once there is not local competition (ie the brick and mortars are out of business) the free shipping and cheaper prices will go away. You saw it will cell phones. Use to be a time you got a phone for free and the monthly bill was very cheap. Once the majority of people dumped their landlines service price went up and phones are now $600 +
The first taste is always free

I try my best to support local business but do buy online when there is a major price difference and the local is not interested in at least negotiating a bit. My kids prefer to buy everything online but the one thing I tell themis that it is cheap and shipping id free for now. Once there is not local competition (ie the brick and mortars are out of business) the free shipping and cheaper prices will go away. You saw it will cell phones. Use to be a time you got a phone for free and the monthly bill was very cheap. Once the majority of people dumped their landlines service price went up and phones are now $600 +
The first taste is always free
That's a great lesson. Remember when cable tv had no commercials?

The Government always tries to make successful big business into the evil commodity. Fact is things change and people shop online and not in malls anymore. Welcome to the computer age. I do try to buy local but 85% of the time they do not have what I need. I have Prime so I can go on Amazon, find the cheapest price, read reviews on the product and have it shipped to my door usually within 2-3 days. Sure beats traffic and lines. Same with Walmart. I try to avoid it like the plague but when I need something they almost always have it when no one else does. Just a sign of the times.

I am willing to spend more to shop local, if I get what I want.

As said, can't pay double though.

Just an old poor retarded guy here!

I buy 90% of my auto parts in my home town... Good prices, mostly same day delivery of special orders (order by noon get by three) and no shipping hassles.

I use OReillys for my special tool needs and Rock Auto as a reference catalog...their shipping rates are stupid high.

ROCK Auto????? I try to order 3 different parts, shipping from 3 different warehouses and the total costs were stupid!!

I think I am ready to get down to 2 finished cars and call it done..NO more parts ordering, shipping troubles, and fighting bad parts, high prices, the hassels, the list is long....

So...... what about everytime you buy fast food or something similar now and the tip percentage choices pop up on the debit machine. That pisses me off. I tip, and tip well for good service, when someone takes care of me in a restaurant. I am offended when someone asks for a gratuity where no service is provided.

Rant over.

I walked into a McDonalds 4 years ago. The place was a mess, tables were not bussed, homeless people had Obama phones plugged into power, I walked up and looked at the menu, no greeting. I looked at the guys standing around behind the counter and smiled, he just had a blank stare. he asked "do you want to order?" I looked around again and said, "No, not anymore" and walked out. Have not been back since short of a few drivethrough runs for sundaes. We ordered a pogo stick through Amazon for kids Christmas. Saved like 20 bucks over even Walmart, shipped! They sent 2 in consecutive deliveries. We emailed them back about getting 2 and they told us to just keep the 2nd one as we were only charged for 1 anyway. Alot of Amazon stuff we get now in bags has a 2nd sealing option once you zip the top strip off. If you need to sent it back, just put adhesive return label supplied over original mailing label, peel 2nd adhesive strip and close bag back up and give it back to mailman. Easy.

The Government always tries to make successful big business into the evil commodity. Fact is things change and people shop online and not in malls anymore. Welcome to the computer age. I do try to buy local but 85% of the time they do not have what I need. I have Prime so I can go on Amazon, find the cheapest price, read reviews on the product and have it shipped to my door usually within 2-3 days. Sure beats traffic and lines. Same with Walmart. I try to avoid it like the plague but when I need something they almost always have it when no one else does. Just a sign of the times.

Really appreciate every ones responses. Many good points being made.
I'm just waiting for Amazon to start selling pharmaceuticals. The Walgreens, CVS, and Rite Aids that survive will be nothing more than glorified 7-11s. Would not be surprised to see them buy DHL as a distribution source. Hell Id like to be the guy who sells them their boxes!

I prefer to support local small business but sometimes with how much cheaper and faster I can get it online I just have to buy online. I have to look out for myself also.

Lots of places will now match amazon pricing.

Walmart is in a war with amazon right now too. Free shipping to a store for pick up.

Really appreciate every ones responses. Many good points being made.
I'm just waiting for Amazon to start selling pharmaceuticals. The Walgreens, CVS, and Rite Aids that survive will be nothing more than glorified 7-11s. Would not be surprised to see them buy DHL as a distribution source. Hell Id like to be the guy who sells them their boxes!
My last Pharmaceutical company had a deal in the works with Amazon to distribute their prescription drugs. It is coming...

Ok time for my rant. Factory workers replaced by robots, checkout clerks replaced by digital checkout scanners, Walmart decimating downtown shopping. I'm nearing the end of my working career, but what kind of good paying jobs are available to new hires? We lost manufacturing, loosing retail, can the economy survive on healthcare for retiring baby boomers?

Ok time for my rant. Factory workers replaced by robots, checkout clerks replaced by digital checkout scanners, Walmart decimating downtown shopping. I'm nearing the end of my working career, but what kind of good paying jobs are available to new hires? We lost manufacturing, loosing retail, can the economy survive on healthcare for retiring baby boomers?
Ummm...people still need to build and program robots, computers need to be built to operate them, engineers need to integrate them into facilities, people need to oversee their operation, maintanence needs to be done on them by people...etc.

The world is changing, but jobs aren’t going away...they are just shifting in nature. And, in all honesty, it means better higher paying jobs where people work with their brains instead of their backs. It isn’t a bleak future, it is a better one where people are more valued as thinkers than laborers.

-
Back