The 318 NON believers

-
HMMM. 318 bore and stroke 600 HP Got more money than me.

Rob, thanks for letting me know on that, I don't recall him mentioning that.

To make ''this much'' 'NA' per cid can be relative, but outside of that...you'll make 600 easier & cheaper with 451 inches than with only 318 inches.

But hey...whatever you're into.

Rock out with yer **** out

To make ''this much'' 'NA' per cid can be relative, but outside of that...you'll make 600 easier & cheaper with 451 inches than with only 318 inches.

But hey...whatever you're into.

Rock out with yer **** out
you are right but a 451 is not allowed in the class he's racing in plus a 451 was never offered from the factory. If I'm reading the book right the only V8 he could run is a 318 because the BB's weren't available in 88-90 and the 360 wasn't available in a car (truck only).

as much as i like the 318, give the chassis set up some credit for those times too :thumblef:

you are right but a 451 is not allowed in the class he's racing in plus a 451 was never offered from the factory. If I'm reading the book right the only V8 he could run is a 318 because the BB's weren't available in 88-90 and the 360 wasn't available in a car (truck only).

lol..yeah I know, just saying there is a diff in what you end up with power wise say if you took the money takes to build this '318' and put it into a lager engine.

The fact how rad it is that the guy runs this fast w/318 has not been lost, just the usual side commentary and off shoots.

If you wanna bring the smallest blade to the knife fight, you gotta really know how to use it, that always comes with some sort of investment.

Guys were running faster in the 70's with $lant$, fwiw

whats fast?

Mo money Mo money Mo money

lol

Yep thats the car, on the qualifing run he lifted before the 1000 ft mark so not to bomb the index and to get where he wanted to be on the ladder. This was on Friday's qualifing. And the little engine fit in the car better than the original engine. This car has full interior and a stock frame with a added front half framing. While talking to Dennis he told me that they couldn't go all the way with the tubing as rules state that they can't be a full frame car. So there's about a ft. thats not connected. Neat little car that runs the part. There were alot of cars shutting off early to protect the CIC's just as they have been doing for years.

IN the current National Dragster the national record is 9.77...so I dont think he would have been bombing the national record...

secondly...Super Stock cars can not set national records at NHRA national events,....only Divisional races and National Open events...

worst case if you go 1 second below your index ...you put a spot light on you for horsepower adjustment.....

Super Stock Engine Rules per NHRA rule book

CAMSHAFT
Any camshaft and valvetrain permitted.

CYLINDER HEADS
Must be correct casting number for year and horsepower claimed,
per NHRA Technical Bulletins or NHRA-accepted. Cylinder-head
casting must also be on NHRA runner volume list as published in
National DRAGSTER and on NHRA.com. Porting, polishing,
welding, epoxying, and acid-porting permitted. Grinding and
polishing in combustion chamber permitted. Welding and/or
applying epoxy in combustion chamber prohibited. Spark-plug hole
must maintain the stock location, size, and angle as machined by
the OEM; spark-plug adapters prohibited. Valve-guide centerlines
must maintain the stock lateral and front-to-back location as
machined by the OEM. Valves must maintain stock angle; valvestem
angle must remain stock, +/- 1 degree. Cylinder head must be
able to hold combustion chamber, intake and exhaust runner
volumes per NHRA Specifications. Any aftermarket steel valve
permitted; must maintain stock head and stem size; titanium valves
prohibited. (OEM sodium-filled valve may be replaced with titanium,
provided weight is equal to or greater than original.) Valve diameter
permitted to be +.005-inch or -.015-inch from published NHRA
Technical Bulletins. External modifications prohibited. Welding or
epoxying permitted on external portion of runners for repair only,
maximum 2 runners per head. Heat riser passages may be blocked
off from intake-manifold side of cylinder head or in exhaust port.
The following are permitted: polylocks, jam nuts, screw-in or pinned
studs. Any valve job accepted. Exhaust plate permitted between
header and cylinder head, maximum 1/2-inch; may not protrude into exhaust port. Cylinder head may have all seats replaced.

ENGINE
Must be same year and make for car used, aftermarket NHRAaccepted
cylinder blocks permitted. Equipment other than original
factory-installed prohibited. Any special-equipment export kit
(superchargers, dealer-installed options, etc.) automatically
disqualifies car. Engine must remain in stock location — height,
Section 11A, page 2 Super Stock
setback, etc. Cylinder bores must not exceed .075-inch over stock.
Bores are measured at top of cylinder where ring wear is not
evident. Crossbreeding parts prohibited. Normal balance job
permitted. Otherwise lightening of component parts prohibited. All
carburetors, manifolds, heads, etc. must be tightened to prevent any
air or fuel leaks. Vacuum lines must be securely connected or
blocked off. Stroke tolerance is +/- .015-inch. Stock OEM or NHRAaccepted
aftermarket crankshaft mandatory. Aftermarket crank
must retain OEM configuration; i.e., billets, knife edging, etc.
prohibited. Lightening of crankshaft other than normal balance job
prohibited. Cylinder blocks may be sleeved. Aftermarket SFI Spec
18.1 harmonic balancer mandatory. Timing-belt covers option

Now...If you apply the same parts and labor to a 340/360 engine...it would would run faster then the 318....

as noted...these SS engine are VERY EXPENSiVE ....and are not build by your local machine shop for a few hundred dollars...

Sure...it is fast....for what money had been spend on it ..it better be fast....

and Dennis Stewart is an excellent engine builder...

Friend of mine had an INExpensive SS 1972 340 engine build ...with him supplying the parts it was almost $15,000.00....
I know for a fact to have a set of heads done for a STOCK Eliminator car from someone who knows what they are doing cost over $3000.00...and that does not include the porting that is allowed for Super Stock...

and Your 904 trans will set you back $5,000.00 from Pro Parts......so Yes..the 318 in the 90 Daytona is fast....pleas factor in the COST.........

He could of used a 340/360 from any year in the SS/GT classes...just would not have been in GT/GA since the 340/360 carry a high HP factor then the 318....

in Super Stock...you are looking for an engine combo that put you in a certain class and a the top of the class as far as weight it concern....

you are looking for an underrated engine as far as the HP factor....

Yep thats the car, on the qualifing run he lifted before the 1000 ft mark so not to bomb the index and to get where he wanted to be on the ladder. This was on Friday's qualifing. And the little engine fit in the car better than the original engine. This car has full interior and a stock frame with a added front half framing. While talking to Dennis he told me that they couldn't go all the way with the tubing as rules state that they can't be a full frame car. So there's about a ft. thats not connected. Neat little car that runs the part. There were alot of cars shutting off early to protect the CIC's just as they have been doing for years.

Original post says it ran 9.78....nothing about dumping it at 1000 ft...

If he had run the 9.78 on a qualifying pass at the Sourthern Nationals ...then that run would have listed .......you can not just say..I don't want that one to count......LOL
only thing you can do...if they are weighting cars or doing fuel checks...is bypass that and your run will be DQ.....

And...

Go to a NHRA national event...or divisional race...and go look at the stock and super stockers...talk to the owner or driver....it is amazing how fact the cars are....and how expensive they are too

IN the current National Dragster the national record is 9.77...so I dont think he would have been bombing the national record...

secondly...Super Stock cars can not set national records at NHRA national events,....only Divisional races and National Open events...

worst case if you go 1 second below your index ...you put a spot light on you for horsepower adjustment.....

Please reread my comment, I didn't say the national record I said the Index.

Original post says it ran 9.78....nothing about dumping it at 1000 ft...

If he had run the 9.78 on a qualifying pass at the Sourthern Nationals ...then that run would have listed .......you can not just say..I don't want that one to count......LOL
only thing you can do...if they are weighting cars or doing fuel checks...is bypass that and your run will be DQ.....

And...

Go to a NHRA national event...or divisional race...and go look at the stock and super stockers...talk to the owner or driver....it is amazing how fact the cars are....and how expensive they are too

The original poster didn't say that it was done in qualifing, and your mixing me up with the original poster. All I said was that on the qualifing run that I saw was that he dumped it before the 1,000 ft mark to run the 10.47 ET, as I was there watching. And thousands of others if they cared to watch saw what I did when he ran the 9.78 ET. Now weather or not NHRA posted it or wrote it down I have no idea about, but I'm sure that thousands of us weren't seeing things.

What's all the hooha about? Runnin nines is fast in pretty much anything. Some people will argue with a sign post just for the sake of agruing. Who gives a flip what it cost and why the hell does it matter? It's fast. If you don't like it, you're just jealous.

The original poster didn't say that it was done in qualifing, and your mixing me up with the original poster. All I said was that on the qualifing run that I saw was that he dumped it before the 1,000 ft mark to run the 10.47 ET, as I was there watching. And thousands of others if they cared to watch saw what I did when he ran the 9.78 ET. Now weather or not NHRA posted it or wrote it down I have no idea about, but I'm sure that thousands of us weren't seeing things.

It does not matter where you are on the ladder in Super Stock cause once eliminations start it is nothing but bracket racing...so where you are 1st or 128th on the ladder you are bracket racing......

my problem is ...the OP say the car runs 9.70s...with 318...so everyone says WOW...

but they dont realize what the cost of this car/engine/trans is...so they figure hell...i just dump a old 318 into my car and run 9s....

I am just trying to educate some people on the cost of NHRA Super Stock Racing...and that if spend enough money you can make anything fast....

This weekend at a south eastern national event a fellow shows up with his 318 daytona charger to race in the super stock catagory GT/GA class.The weights in at just under 3000lbs with the drive and runs on gas and has to go by ALL NHRA rules as outlined in the rule.The motor is a 89/90 318 with a .030 overbore and stock stroke and has to run a stock compression ratio of 9.0:1 ratio give or take a point.The heads are the 579 castings.The time it ran was: 9.78 seconds at 146.00mph for the 1/4 mile.The index for the class is around a 10.70-10.60 range,so he,s under the class average by a second,and qualifies at the top 10-15 in national events.So to those non believes,that a 318 can do ****,this baby is doing over 600hp,carries the wheels a good foot and a half in the air and launches with neck snapping torque.So on here when you here some one say you can,t do much with a 318 ,start deleting every post that person ever has posted and contact the daytona driver and others that know how to build a 318 for power,and start thinking out of the box and the B/S some of these big companies are telling you.Any comments can be posted or you can call me any time,mrmopartech 450 424 0445

reading the original post...this weekend...at nhra national even...the time it rans was 9.78...

i have been going to nhra national events since 1973....i have never seen a SS car make a pass...and not have it time listed in the qualify stats unless the car is DQ.....

What's all the hooha about? Runnin nines is fast in pretty much anything. Some people will argue with a sign post just for the sake of agruing. Who gives a flip what it cost and why the hell does it matter? It's fast. If you don't like it, you're just jealous.

stroker...I am just stating the rules of the class....and if I wanted to spend that much money on an engine I could...and I could write a check today....

just trying to educate people on super stock racing and its real cost... so they are comparing apples to apples....

imagine if they prepped a 360 the same as the 318 it would be a second faster!!! LOL

stroker...I am just stating the rules of the class....and if I wanted to spend that much money on an engine I could...and I could write a check today....

just trying to educate people on super stock racing and its real cost... so they are comparing apples to apples....

I hear you loud and clear.....and agree 100%. Still though it's a 318 runnin nines. When all else is compared, it would still be an easier feat with a 340, 360, 408, ect.

I must have missed something.

The OP said this:

"The motor is a 89/90 318 with a .030 overbore and stock stroke and has to run a stock compression ratio of 9.0:1 ratio give or take a point.The heads are the 579 castings.The time it ran was: 9.78 seconds at 146.00mph for the 1/4 mile."

What is in that combination that say "big money" or "bored/stroked" ? Or are you guys saying its BS ??

I must have missed something.

The OP said this:

"The motor is a 89/90 318 with a .030 overbore and stock stroke and has to run a stock compression ratio of 9.0:1 ratio give or take a point.The heads are the 579 castings.The time it ran was: 9.78 seconds at 146.00mph for the 1/4 mile."

What is in that combination that say "big money" or "bored/stroked" ? Or are you guys saying its BS ??

Nobody is saying BS...you need to understand NHRA class racing and its cost...

it is not a stock 318 block...it is a R3 block...aftermarket rods...crank...heads are ported...solid roller cam...aluminium intake has been cut opened..ported and reweld back together...transmission is a 904 with aluminium billet parts...

engine probably sees a good 8500 rpm....

It is not your Grandmothers 318.......It is your Grandmothers life saving 318...

Wow, fast 318, cool..... my solid roller 318 only ran 11.50's..... that's awesome!

Carry on with your coulda' woulda' do it better bantering..................

Nobody is saying BS...you need to understand NHRA class racing and its cost...

it is not a stock 318 block...it is a R3 block...aftermarket rods...crank...heads are ported...solid roller cam...aluminium intake has been cut opened..ported and reweld back together...transmission is a 904 with aluminium billet parts...

engine probably sees a good 8500 rpm....

It is not your Grandmothers 318.......It is your Grandmothers life saving 318...
I dont know anything about building a NHRA class car....but I know it takes big $$$$.

Not familiar with "R3" ....I assume that is a special aftermarket block?

Its just that the way the OP said it, it seemed like a stock 89/90 block with some work....thanks for clearing that up.

Still, seems like its very expensive to go fast no matter what ya start out with...LOL

I dont think the original poster has chimed in since........ ???

The amount of BS on this site is insane.I state a fact and a good amount of you step into the dark side and its smoke and mirrors and complain about the cost and he had a 200mph tail wind,and was holding his left nut out the window.Stop being Aholes,this guy did it you did not and you *****.Some guy comes on here and spends 60 grand on a rusty aspen and its great,but a guy spends MAYBE 30 grand on the whole car and your ready to hang people,that its stroked,big time over bored,trick parts that no one has every seen,come on guys,stop being fools for once.Its not rocket science,I ran a 327 S/S car in 70,s and ran low 11s with a 3600lbs car,so now after 30 years,we have not got any farther ahead,never mined in a car that is probably 1000lbs lighter,get of the coke and the weed,chill out and save some money and go to a local big event and take and watch these people instead of bitching.But now your going to go spend a 100 grand restoring your AAR cuda,thats OK,spending money a 318 daytona,NO,NO,NO,NO,I go play with my hemi car and chrysler and dodges and let you guys stand in the sand box and scream who,s dick is bigger,mrmopartech

WTF are you doing posting here Crack Head.............

Don't ever believe what this BUTCHER says.
See this thread below.....................

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=80088&highlight=robbed+BJR

-
Back