The all new "It's time to get out and get fit" thread

-
Jeremy! I wish you all the luck in the world. I know you can do it. I wish I had the willpower to do it myself, but I'm just a lump of **** waiting to die.

I meant to do this yesterday, but i got sidetracked. Anyhow i'll toss my 2 cents as i went through a fairly dramatic change in my weight over the last two years or so.

2yrs and change ago i was 6'4 277lbs. Usually i stayed in the 240-250 range, which for some reason was okay with me. Once i hit 277 i realized i needed to make a change and started researching methods of weight loss.

First thing to note: there is a ton of BS diet information. The fact of the matter is, weight loss is purely a function of calorie intake. You could sit on your *** all day and stay within a calorie limit and lose weight.

Once i had that down, i jumped online and looked at a couple of calorie calculators. You enter in your weight/height/age/lifestyle(likely sedentary). You'll get a basic idea of what your intake needs to be to maintain that weight. Then estimate the calorie intake for your target weight the same way and slowly step down your calorie intake(say 200-300 shy of the first estimate, then when you plateau, do it drop another 200-300 calories)

Then there is exercise. For me, my motivation to exercise was that it would burn more calories and allow me to eat badly for one meal that day. I started my exercise regiment with just walking. I found a 2 mile loop in my neighborhood so i would walk one mile and be winded. Then have to push myself to walk the remaining mile. I tried the gym years before this, but my problem(and i think it applies to a lot of people) is that when i can easily give up, i will. Its not really an option when you're out walking.

Over time, walking turned to light jogging , and now running as my weight loss went down. I got down as far a 194lbs and was running a mile every day. But since last couple of holidays, i've got up to the 200-205 realm.

And lastly, the nice thing about calorie counting, is that you're not subscribing to some idiotic diet that drastically changes how you eat. (ie: no carbs, so eating hamburgers without buns...ugh)

Thanks again everyone. I hope that I can be an inspiration to others and really hope that we can stick together and get into shape. I am done being fat. The doctor but on my surgical notes that I am "extensively large" and that really bothered me. I was already done with this, but that kind of was a kick in the ***. I have given up dating and everything for the time being and am going to focus on myself and my well being for a while. I can't wait to get into shape, I can't wait to feel better about myself. I already do just doing what I have. I am happy at the moment. :)

First thing to note: there is a ton of BS diet information. The fact of the matter is, weight loss is purely a function of calorie intake. You could sit on your *** all day and stay within a calorie limit and lose weight

exactly. but you do have to exercise at least 30 minutes a day do you don't lose lean muscle while losing that weight. your walking is perfect for that..

And lastly, the nice thing about calorie counting, is that you're not subscribing to some idiotic diet that drastically changes how you eat. (ie: no carbs, so eating hamburgers without buns...ugh)

thats why i use www.myfitnesspal.com you can put just about any brand food in ther eand its in there with the proper calories for a serving. also you can put different exercises in and it will tell you how many calories you burned. its an awesome tool.. there are a lot out there like it too so take a pick..

portion control
balanced meals
and exercise

just need the will power to do those three things and you will lose with ease.

i'm telling you man. as soon as you see results it gets addicting and its easier to have the will power.

I've also found that Carbs feed Carbs...basically the more carbs you eat the more carbs you want. Once you go low carbs and stick with it the less you desire the carbs and sugars. If it taste good spit it out. :) not really. You can eat good tasting stuff just not as much. All these low fat products you really have to watch what you are eating..watch the carbs, salts and sugars. Don't eat margarine, eat butter...real cheese not the skim cheese.

exactly. but you do have to exercise at least 30 minutes a day do you don't lose lean muscle while losing that weight. your walking is perfect for that..

thats why i use www.myfitnesspal.com you can put just about any brand food in ther eand its in there with the proper calories for a serving. also you can put different exercises in and it will tell you how many calories you burned. its an awesome tool.. there are a lot out there like it too so take a pick..

portion control
balanced meals
and exercise

just need the will power to do those three things and you will lose with ease.

i'm telling you man. as soon as you see results it gets addicting and its easier to have the will power.

sure, but i like separate exercise and calorie intake whenever i make a post like this because there are so many misconceptions. And not to mention that "necessary" 30 min of exercise could really depend on your job.

Agreed on the addicting results. My initial goal was just to get back down to 240...then 230...then 220, then 200 to see if i could, then 194 while trying to see if i could get a flat stomach.

And not to mention that "necessary" 30 min of exercise could really depend on your job.

correct. i never said you had to go to the guy for 30 minutes. you just have to do at least 30 minutes of exercise (in at least 10 minute intervals) throughout the day. a desk jockey will have done less exercise at the end of a work day then a guy that id constantly running around a warehouse or something. yes a 6 block walk to work is considered exercise. most overlook things like that. but if you do walk those 6 blocks to work and are still a fat *** then you'll not only have to eat proper portions you will also have to kick the exercise up a bit.

but i like separate exercise and calorie intake whenever i make a post like this because there are so many misconceptions.

it may make it simpler to understand but they do go hand in hand. like i said that site also has aps for a smartphone and tablet and they all sync with one another so diet and exercise are easy to track where ever you may be. personally i don't even bother entering the exercise anymore because i know what i have to do and am into my own routine , but for one just starting its a real easy way to keep track of what you are doing which is a huge thing.

Agreed on the addicting results. My initial goal was just to get back down to 240...then 230...then 220, then 200 to see if i could, then 194 while trying to see if i could get a flat stomach.

lol.. when the nutritionist first said i should be about 175 i looked at her like she was nuts. i said i'll look like skin and bones. well a few months later and 40 pound sless i was 172 and looked good. friends thought i was too skinny but they always knew me as 40 pounds too heavy. you can't see ribs or anything like that on me and my BMI is in the perfect range. its funny now when i look in the mirror i can tell when i'm a few pounds heavier. could be as little as 3 freaking pounds. i see it in my abs. i don't have a 6 pack or anything but they are more defined when i'm those three pounds lighter. sometimes i feel like i'm obsessed but i do treat myself quite a bit especially while on vacations so i can't be too bad. lol

I'm in pretty good health, no real issues, but I have gained some weight in the past few years. 5'11", 230. I'm gonna start working out again. I really don't wanna be another fat, donut-eating cop. I'm 46, so I can still do it.

Well, today is my official day 1. Started out great. Drank some juice, which by the way tastes like ****... But will be worth it, I hope. Already went out for a 1.65 mile power walk and am now getting ready for work. Now if I can just stay on track and have 500 more days like this... :) I am so excited! Also started a journal so I can keep track of everything.

nice.

what kind of juice you drinking?? you can lose and eat normal food as long as its in the proper portions. eating normal stuff you like will make it a lot easier to keep it up for life not just a set time to lose weight.

I bought a juicer and tried the "Mean Grean" and it just doesn't taste great. I think I will try pealing the cucumber next time and use less ginger. This week I am trying to flush my whole body, so I am eating only fruits and veggies and most will be juiced. Then next week I will add fish and hard boiled eggs.

lol.. my sister got into that juice thing. holy crap some of the ones were plain nasty. tasted like eating grass..

Yes, some of them taste very "planty". But if I start dropping the pounds, it'll be we'll worth it.

I bought a juicer and tried the "Mean Grean" and it just doesn't taste great. I think I will try pealing the cucumber next time and use less ginger. This week I am trying to flush my whole body, so I am eating only fruits and veggies and most will be juiced. Then next week I will add fish and hard boiled eggs.

No offense, but see my post above.

Diets like that are just torturous to your body for no reason. PS: No real such as thing as "flushing your body"

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/guide/detox-diets-purging-myths

Not to the point that I want to commit J-Mac :hello2: Cool thread I have been reading :hello2: I just walked in and enjoying the first sun shinny day :cheers:

An 89 Degree day for me, I spent 3 hours outside picking up wind fall and walking the hill, just me and my four leggier friend, I am drenching wet with swet.. 186 lb's and down to 5'7'' TALL :happy1:

No offense, but see my post above.

Diets like that are just torturous to your body for no reason. PS: No real such as thing as "flushing your body"

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/guide/detox-diets-purging-myths

I know there are a lot of different opinions and options to loose weight and change your diet. I personally need and want to get more vitamins and eat less meat and bread, so though the juicing may not be the greatest idea, I do think it will be a good way for me to get the nutrients and vitamins that I have been lacking. I really want to change the way I eat, I don't like eating fast food or other greasy, salty, sugary foods. So this is a way for me to transition into a completely different, and better diet.

Did anyone see what they said about margarine butter ?
Everyone should never have that crud in your house :shock:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_s0LmLS5MY"]Tasty Plastic - YouTube[/ame]

I enjoy this sometimes once every week and have been for many years :glasses7: Malted Vinegar dashed on top of hot
scrambled egg's (3) and Spinach over toasted wheat bread. I just enjoyed it for lunch today.

Don't knock it before you tried it :D Splash some peeper juice on it makes a good hardy lunch. :thumblef:
The only thing missing is a sliced up tomato

Attachments

• August 2013 037.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 55
  • August 2013 040.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 59
My 3rd day at the gym today since last Thur. My youngest son and I are working out now. Trying to get on a regular schedule.

Looking at the hotties at the gym helps me ignore the pain and keep going....

My 3rd day at the gym today since last Thur. My youngest son and I are working out now. Trying to get on a regular schedule.

good job. keep it up man

Great start! Word of caution on the whole juice thing. Go easy on the fruit juices, it's actually much like mainlining sugar and could send you into that nasty diabetic thing. Wanna guess how I know?

Whatever works! Lol good job folks! Keep up the hard work. It's well worth it.

My workout consists of lifting lumber and nail guns and swinging a hammer. All while wearing a 25lb nail bag around my waist

-
Back