The average 408...

-
I'd like to clarify a few things about the test session and things that happened.
First, we took the engine to 6000rpm because it was done making power at 5700rpm!
No need to go past that point, although I did run it to 6200 but only recorded up to 6000. Just the way the DTS works.

Second...the Demon was LEAN OOTB, so I stepped the jetting up from 75 to 77 in the primary and from 83 to 86 in the secondary. After that I expected some change...we got none! Infact it was still lean and made no power difference what so ever.
So believing that carb was not going to come around, I changed it for my 1000HP with OOTB jetting and PV's.
Instantly made 17 more HP and 10 average HP from 3000 to 6000rpm!

After that we tried the super duper spacer and lost 7Hp and a ton of average HP and TQ.
Retested with the spacer removed and HP came back. Best timing was 34° total. I'll post the dyno graph next week so it's more visible to see what was happening.
Peak TQ was 4800 and peak HP was 5700rpm and HP only dropped a few from there.
It'll be a 6500rpm in the car engine no problem.
Not too shabby for cast iron "replacement" head.
Final compression was 10.2:1.

Peak TQ was 4800 and peak HP was 5700rpm and HP only dropped a few from there.
It'll be a 6500rpm in the car engine no problem.

OU812 - Can you explain why it will make power to 6500 in the car, but not on the engine dyno?

Intersting little side note I went to the Blueprint Engines web site and compared their very similar build Chevy, Ford and Mopar stroker engines and even these guys got more HP and torque from the Mopar engine. Here's the spec's.

Ford 408

Camshaft:
.541 Int / .544 Exh & 240 Int / 246 Exh duration @ .050 - 110 degree lobe sep.

Horsepower:

Torque:

Compression Ratio:
9.8 to 1

Ignition Timing:
13 to 16 Degree Initial / 34 Degree Total

Chevy 383

Stroke:

Rod Length:

Camshaft:
.528 Int / .535 Exh & 220 Int / 226 Exh duration @ .050 - 110 degree lobe sep.

Horsepower:

Torque:

Compression Ratio:
9.5 to 1

Ignition Timing:
16 to 18 Degree Initial / 36 Degree Total

Mopar 408

Camshaft:
.545 Int / .545 Exh & 241 Int / 2467Exh duration @ .050 - 110 degree lobe sep.

Horsepower:

Torque:

Compression Ratio:
10 to 1

Ignition Timing:
13 to 16 Degree Initial / 34 Degree Total

Now the Chevy is down about 25 cubes so if you take it's HP/CI at 1.122 and multiply that by 408 it comes out to 457 HP. Keep in mind though that the Chevy and Ford both get Dart aluminum heads and the Mopar just gets Edelbricks. OOTB I'm sure the Dart heads are better than the Eddys, but I'll have to do some research on that. They don't state which Dart heads are used though. Also this was not the base alum head engine for the Chevy but the upgraded forged assembly.

yah those dart pro cylinder heads are pretty nice pieces. flow way better OOTB the eddie rpm's. Chevy 383 are a **** motor to begin with, so it dosn't surprise me that those HP & TORQUE #'s are so low. the FORD 408 surprised me though. i'd thought it would give the eddie rpm headed MoPar 408 a run for its money.. apparently not. guess the compression made a bit of a difference.makes you wonder IF those motors were actually put on a dyno, or the justed used a dyno sim program.

btw trying cam quest with a combo that was dyno'd and well jmo.... cam quest is garbage.

And I don't know how anyone could have ran a stoker combo through it, there's no option for one.....

these programs are mostly a joke that revolve around chevy motors.jmo

btw trying cam quest with a combo that was dyno'd and well jmo.... cam quest is garbage.

And I don't know how anyone could have ran a stoker combo through it, there's no option for one.....

these programs are mostly a joke that revolve around chevy motors.jmo
well you didnt try hard enough. you can use any bore/stroke you want.
also, build anything you want off the preloaded 360 file or the 383/440 file.
same with cylinder head files. stock/stock ported/ and eddie rpm's.
or add you own flow numbers to it. you have 10 lifts points to work with.
you can even go into the data files and rename/input you own cam specs.
so simple.. even you can do it...
just some friendly advice from a "knob".

That program is WAY off I am living REAL proof of that. Approx 70 hp on the high side!!!!!!!

That program is WAY off I am living REAL proof of that. Approx 70 hp on the high side!!!!!!!
i know it reads high. to me its just like spinning your tires off the line.. you always MPH high lol. its just another tool to see the EFFECTS of changes. hp figures should be taken with a grain of salt. just like shop dynos.

hey if you say so...

I input a 344 build my buddy did and dyno'd in SD, and on cam quest it was like 54hp 'short' of what it really put out on the dyno.
so it go's both ways.
I just think it's a flawed program that revolves around comp's grinds ....and the chevy they were originally designed for.jmo

Yes I know how to use cam crust just fine too.btw:toothy10:

-
Back