The average 408...

-
Ummmmm, NO. I don't think so ethier.

I like the dyno sims, but, take'em with a grain of salt.

I have found they have major flaws sometimes...... Like if you enter the same exact specs with a 440, and a 460 Ford, the only power diff it shows is the CI in diff, and if you have ever messed with a 460, you know it ain't true......

Or the extra large leaps between a dual plane and a single plane on very mild builds. (DTD)

And with ported J heads at that.

340dynosheet.jpg
thats looks like stock intake and exaust manifold #'s. according to your VE.
what carb?
Did you port the heads?
whats the cam @ .050"? high 240s? if you care to share.
did you fix that lean problem?

As Darth Vader would say... Impressive, Most Impressive.

I don't know, I plugged my crap into camquest and got 633 HP.

Just so we all know - no-one saying this data is "fact".

Also- Camquest is def. more "happy" than D2000.

Or the extra large leaps between a dual plane and a single plane on very mild builds. (DTD

Completely agree.

Fellas, lets be clear here, this is not me predicting anything.

This is me running #s thru D2000...I'd hate be hung from the nearest tree because D2000 was wrong! LOL!

10.2 is not unheard of with 500HP, but it'd want to be a light car and hook briliantly.

It better be a very very very light car,my duster is no pig weighing in at 3180,and with a dyno proven 520 h.p. ran a best 11.02..i'd like to see these cars running 10.2's with just 500 h.p....

thats looks like stock intake and exaust manifold #'s. according to your VE.
what carb?
Did you port the heads?
whats the cam @ .050"? high 240s? if you care to share.
did you fix that lean problem?

As Darth Vader would say... Impressive, Most Impressive.

The heads were ported by Dwayne Porter, He built the motor for hi 68 Satellite in the early 90s and ran 11.60s @115mph with it @3600lbs

* 1973 340 block
* decked to +.020 deck height(pistons above deck)
* bored .030 over
* Ross flat tops with max weight removal option*** and .927 pin bores* B&B tool steel wrist pins, 2.500 X.927 X .090 wall(piston and pin 525g)
* OE rods bushed to .927, fully polished, resized, lightened, ARP bolts
* OE steel crank( reground, strokes equalized, indexed)
* Milodon deep pan
* Melling oil pump
* double roller timing set
* Crower 262/265 @ .050, .575/.585 solid lifter cam
* Crower lifters
* ported 587 heads with MP 2.02/1.60 valves, milled for true 11:1 CR flow 260/173 at .600 lift
* bronze guides and hardened exhaust seats
* Crower dual springs
* Comp 10deg retainers and machined locks
* Edelbrock victor intake, cleaned up plenum Proform 830cfm carb.
* Harland Sharp 1.5 roller rockers and HD thick wall shafts
* Crane pushrods
* MP moly coated fuel pump eccentric
* MP OEM replacement 340 damper

It better be a very very very light car,my duster is no pig weighing in at 3180,and with a dyno proven 520 h.p. ran a best 11.02..i'd like to see these cars running 10.2's with just 500 h.p....

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of small body cars like Mavericks , Gremlins and Pintos etc which have been lightened.

what were your 60fts? what mph? how's the rest of your car setup [gears/tires/trans/suspension/etc]?

Ok, Dang today was a long day. Left the house at around 5:20am and didnt get back in town til around 6:30pm............

The engine made some good power and the numbers are the real deal no fluffing making up stories etc that we all normally see on the internet.

The engine sounds AWSOME kind of like a NASCAR NASTY IDLE with very QUICK throttle response and back down to idle VERY FAST! Sounds VERY wicked for sure........

The engine made 507 ft lbs of torque at 4700 rpm and well over 400 lbs starting at 3000 rpm. Horse Power was right at the same 507 hp at 6000rpm.
No pulls were done over 6000rpm being that it seemed to be about the max that it was going to do. I am sure that I will REV it way past that if it keeps pulling for sure!!!

Brian started out with my Mighty Demon 750 and the air/fuel ratio was running VERY LEAN even after some tuning was done on it. So Brian put on his Holly 1000HP Carb and the fuel ratio was VERY good and that is what made the best power. We tried that FANCY spacer that DON at FBO sells and it LOST 7 average HP and some more torque.......Funny because Don states that it will ADD 20hp. I am learning that almost ALL parts sales people DO NOT believe that you will DYNO TUNE your engine so they say just about anything to make the parts fly off the shelfs it seems.

Should be a VERY FUN car to drive and the torque should be awesome.

I was hoping for more but that is fine. No oil leaks and it is still running which is good.

Brian and his crew did a very good job today for sure......

Hey MD _ CONGRATS!! Im sure after your last few mths, you're just glad it held together!!

Intersting that the bigger carb helped - D2000 said 9 xtra HP with a 950, so it seems it was tellling you something!

Good to hear it will rev even more though - Well done again!

D2000 said -

526 HP @ 6500
481 ft lbs @ 5000

Thats with large tube open headers.

A 900 cfm carb picked up 7 HP

So not far off at all, especially if you run it up to 6500!

D2000 said -

So not far off at all, especially if you run it up to 6500!

Well I have TTI Stepped Headers we were thinking with 1 7/8 or 2 inch headers it would pick up another 20 HP, but for me the extra $800.00 would be crazy to spend for it when my headers only have Maybe 16 hrs total on them. So that would be Information for the guy who has not bought them yet!! Or maybe I will Sell them and put out the extra dough for the difference........

Well I have TTI Stepped Headers we were thinking with 1 7/8 or 2 inch headers it would pick up another 20 HP, but for me the extra $800.00 would be crazy to spend for it when my headers only have Maybe 16 hrs total on them. So that would be Information for the guy who has not bought them yet!! Or maybe I will Sell them and put out the extra dough for the difference........

Well...going on the D2000 data - it seems to think a 1000cfm carb and an extra 10 cfm flow at .600 lift would make close to 550 HP, so maybe thats the first "next step" ? Food for thought!!

Intersting that the bigger carb helped

A bigger carb will all most all ways so a gain in HP on a dyno. That doesnt mean its going to feel stronger on the street.

My 340 made the most power with a 950.

Quote:R-fish;
Or the extra large leaps between a dual plane and a single plane on very mild builds. (DTD)
Completely agree.

Fellas, lets be clear here, this is not me predicting anything.

This is me running #s thru D2000...I'd hate be hung from the nearest tree because D2000 was wrong! LOL!

Oh No no no, I'm not putting a pin though you. I'm certainly not wanting to do that. Dyno sim programs are great learning tools and have to be taken with a grain of salt since it assumes the best conditions of the engine and it's air and fuel being injested.

It is possible they can predict with some degree of correctness what the engine will do. The engine may indeed very well come out the way you hoped and ran through the sim, but all conditions must be met for even a shot at it.

I like them best to see how cams act.

Try and fool with the numbers and create your own cam. Now that's fun.

A bigger carb will all most all ways so a gain in HP on a dyno. That doesnt mean its going to feel stronger on the street.

My 340 made the most power with a 950.

I am not worried about the power on the street.......I am worried about it running lean and screwing something up.......SOOOOO I am going to splurge on the bigger carb this week.

In your case you need the bigger carb. My point is you could have put an 1150 dominator and showed a gain in hp. That doesnt mean you need that big of a carb.

Those 4" arms like CFM though.

I am not worried about the power on the street.......I am worried about it running lean and screwing something up.......SOOOOO I am going to splurge on the bigger carb this week.

Just loose the pos demon and check this out
http://www.jegs.com/i/Quick-Fuel/793/P-1050-ANK/10002/-1?parentProductId=750842

850 annular holley for the street would work fine though.jmo

I wish you would of rev'd it more, I think there was/is more in it and no way in hell is gonna come apart at 6500rpm.jmo

right on man!

Gottcha but that doesn't mean you need slow air to go with it...no really though, the h.s air bleeds and meter blocks will fix the lean cond, not more cfm.

The only reason you don't see a lean condition with the bigger carb is cause it's setup right.

But I would have, with $$$, went with at least a 850 annular on that build.

So don's plate was junk and his carbs are leaned out?
Wow , what a tuner he must be....

BG demons carbs flow more cfm then holley's eg:
750 demon vs 750 holley. the demon is more like a 830cfm carb but with jetting for 750cfm. reason why i don't like BG carbs.. you gotta dink around with them WAY to much. but IMO a Holley 950hp series carb would fit the bill nicely. DOMINATOR would be way to big. load those things up on the street and look out charlie. if you had INDY heads it would be a different story tho. anyways very nice #'s. ARE YOU WATCHING THIS BJR? LOL!

Just loose the pos demon and check this out
http://www.jegs.com/i/Quick-Fuel/793/P-1050-ANK/10002/-1?parentProductId=750842

850 annular holley for the street would work fine though.jmo

I wish you would of rev'd it more, I think there was/is more in it and no way in hell is gonna come apart at 6500rpm.jmo

right on man!

It wont come apart, and like I said earlier if it keeps pulling past that in the car I WILL NOT LET OFF believe me!!! we basically ran out of time. It was getting dark..... made the last pull and loaded it in the truck.

I am going to call Don on Monday and see what he says about the carb. The holly was DEAD ON straight from the factory..... YES HIS SPACER AND CARB WAS WAY OFF........also he curved a distributor for me. The curving was fine but on the DYNO it wouldnt fire at first. Brian pulled the cap and the pick up had a .100 gap maybe not that big but it was HUGE he reset it and if fired right off!!..........WTF I thought I was buying READY TO RUN SET UP STUFF........anyway??????????

Just about every parts seller is FOS in my eyes from first hand experience!

-
Back