The days of welding body panels are coming to an end...

-

RustyDusty

Rabid Cross-eyed Opossum!
Reaction score
Ok... the title may not be 100% true but... I don't know if any of you are hip to 3M's Body Panel Adhesive. This stuff is amazing. We did a test on it, welded 2 panels together and attached 2 panels with this 3M stuff. Put it on a frame rack and pulled them apart. The weld broke approximately 10 seconds before the 3M adhesive. The panels with the 3M actually ripped around the adhesive, the adhesive it's self did not break! Just thought I would share.

38315_37.5ml_panel_bonding_adhesive.jpg

Pretty much the same stuff used to assemble semi trucks!

Heard alot about this type stuff and it is great...but if you use it make sure its "new" metal(no dirt and crud).

I asked about it at our local paint shop and the only time you should'nt use it is on structual (frame or stress points) but they love it. I wonder about quarter panels?

I asked about it at our local paint shop and the only time you should'nt use it is on structual (frame or stress points) but they love it. I wonder about quarter panels?

3M actually recommends it for quarter panels. This is direct from 3M-

"Two-part epoxy used to bond steel, aluminum, SMC, and FRP (traditional fiberglass). The primary use is to replace quarter panels, roofs, box sides, van sides, utility vehicle sides and door skins.

For use on outer body panels only. Not for use on structural components such as pillars, frame rails, core supports, or rocker panels (on unibody vehicles). Cures on demand with addition of heat. Glass beads work as built-in spacers for optimum bond line thickness. Product has corrosion inhibiting ability. Has excellent shelf life, either opened or unopened."

I plan on using it to install my quarter panels. Looks like the chit to have, I saw a cool thread where a guy welded 2 caulking pusher stems together to create a gun for it. I'll end up doing the same.

Another huge benefit is that it seals the seam. tmm

I saw a demo where they glue in an entire piece between the 2 doors of a 4 door..2 new doow skins...voila!

I heard you get one shot at placement with this stuff and can't be moved once it sticks together.....Kind of like contact cement......One body shop guy f^&%&^ up on placing a quarter panel properly....Couldn't get it off....Had to cut entire quarter off and reweld a new one on....

That's some Barbara Streisand, working time is like 30 minutes or more depending upon temperature and manufacturer and type of material used. If you can't get things lined up in that time frame, then you didn't dry fit it first.

I have been gluing roof skins, door skins and 1/4s on Fords for years but we used SEM panel bond adhesive. I actually bonded 2 pieces of 3/16" sheetmetal and ripped it before the adhesive let go pulling it with the frame machine. Some crazy strong glue and seals it for good too!

right, good stuff, but man, the bonding sirfaces must be bare clean metal, or it does not hold up. holds like bondo if not done right!

General Motors used it about 20 years ago , those big ugly first lumina vans , an pontiac vans back in the 90,s .The whole sides of those were bonded on. I remember ordering the adhesive back in the auto parts days.

How does this stuff hold up after a few years in the sun? The only thing that scares me is some sort of bubbling or cracking after a while.

-
Back