The Future Is Here, Introducing The eDart

-
So much to say! But apologize for pissing on your thread carry on.

90mile range
10k in batteries?

Very old technology...

The basic problem was this: an electric motor requires electric power that has to come from batteries. In 2008/2009, I figured I needed to buy lead acid batteries because that was pretty much all that was in my budget. Lithium was out of the question.

Light cars with manual transmissions like A bodies are the perfect candidates. I would have ZERO issue with such a swap and might initiate it if the technology was there. It's not. Who wants to add a half ton of batteries? Nuthin doin, Paco.

I'm not sold on the whole electric thing. I think hybrid electric would be the way to go until we have an infrastructure that can support an electric society. If the old world wants to mandate it, that's their problem. Our nation is too vast, and built around gasoline, to just drop the ball and switch to electric. That might be the pipe dream of a fes corrupt politicians, but I don't see the nation as a whole switching over entirely at the drop of a hat. There'd have to be some major calamity for it to happen.

90mile range
10k in batteries?

It's funny he names individual parts of the RMS front suspension but doesn't give them credit for the tubular front end. I find it unreasonable to only get 100 miles on the charge. I wonder if upgrading the batteries would increase mileage and lower weight. I know tesla and prius battery packs are highly used in the aftermarket now.

I was hoping to do an electric conversion with a small british sports car or small japanese car...

Riddler

Its all fine and dandy till they start mandating it! Then I will have a problem with it! I am much more excited about turbos and nos than a electric dart that goes 90 mph and only last 100 miles! Pretty big waste of a perfectly good dart if you ask me. The cowl hoods is ridiculous!

Light cars with manual transmissions like A bodies are the perfect candidates. I would have ZERO issue with such a swap and might initiate it if the technology was there. It's not. Who wants to add a half ton of batteries? Nuthin doin, Paco.

Guys, every single one of you missed possibly the most important thing about that article.

IT WAS WRITTEN IN 2012

You could have a much more powerful car AND a longer range if you did this conversion with modern motors and batteries.

Like this

100 mile range?

I've already seen most of the stuff within 50 miles of where I live, and by the time I blimp up after sitting in restaraunts waiting for the damn thing to recharge, it won't have enough motorvation to haul my fat *** anywhere.

If I want to travel green, I'll walk or ride a bike.

How come they don't list the charge times?

Edit, just saw that the article is from 2012. I wonder if he's still zipping around on the original battery pack, if he's still zipping around at all.

90 mph and 100 mile range? How much do the batteries weigh? It's for sure a good conversation starter but not very practical. If they could package it like an engine and have much smaller more powerful batteries it would be cool.

90 mph and 100 mile range? How much do the batteries weigh? It's for sure a good conversation starter but not very practical. If they could package it like an engine and have much smaller more powerful batteries it would be cool.

Again, did you see the damn date on the article?

Ten years ago when he built that car it was great. Now not so much.

But with a Tesla motor and batteries you could probably almost double the speed and the range now.

So yeah, if you built that car right now it would be all of those things. Just look at the Satellite build I linked on YouTube.

Tbh I don't care if it goes a million miles on a single charge It don't belong in a classic.

A well done Tesla conversion would outrun most of the cars on this board. I understand the nostalgia of the internal combustion engine, but if you can’t appreciate the performance the electric cars can provide now you’re not much of a hot rodder. I’d convert to a steam engine if there was enough performance.

Guys poo-poo electric because they don’t understand it and/or are too lazy to learn it. The conversions are already being done. And at a level that will make the end result perform as well or better than a lot of classics out there. I’m not ready to convert mine just yet, but I definitely wouldn’t say I’d never do it.

I wonder if he's still zipping around on the original battery pack, if he's still zipping around at all.

How many guys on this board are still running the same engine build they were running in 2012?

Again, did you see the damn date on the article?

Ten years ago when he built that car it was great. Now not so much.

But with a Tesla motor and batteries you could probably almost double the speed and the range now.

So yeah, if you built that car right now it would be all of those things. Just look at the Satellite build I linked on YouTube.

A well done Tesla conversion would outrun most of the cars on this board. I understand the nostalgia of the internal combustion engine, but if you can’t appreciate the performance the electric cars can provide now you’re not much of a hot rodder. I’d convert to a steam engine if there was enough performance.

Guys poo-poo electric because they don’t understand it and/or are too lazy to learn it. The conversions are already being done. And at a level that will make the end result perform as well or better than a lot of classics out there. I’m not ready to convert mine just yet, but I definitely wouldn’t say I’d never do it.
I never said that they wouldn't! I know they will I even said I like tesla. I find them very intriguing and cool id love to own one. But imo I just don't believe a electric powered engine or motor or whatever you want to call it belongs in a classic car! That's just my opinion. I also don't believe ls engines belong in mopars along with cowl induction hoods and black engine bays lol

I never said that they wouldn't! I know they will I even said I like tesla. I find them very intriguing and cool id love to own one. But imo I just don't believe a electric powered engine or motor or whatever you want to call it belongs in a classic car! That's just my opinion. I also don't believe ls engines belong in mopars along with cowl induction hoods and black engine bays lol
Ok, but you have expressed that opinion half a dozen times already.

Why does it bother you so much that you can’t just say it once and walk away?

Ok, but you have expressed that opinion half a dozen times already.

Why does it bother you so much that you can’t just say it once and walk away?
Because my opinion was misconstrued by his comment. But sorry I won't comment my opinions anymore! Walking away I am ole great one!

Guys, every single one of you missed possibly the most important thing about that article.

IT WAS WRITTEN IN 2012

You could have a much more powerful car AND a longer range if you did this conversion with modern motors and batteries.

Like this

Missed point or not, (and I didn't miss it) until an electric car can charge AND run on a VERY OVERCAST day and drive ALL NIGHT on a charge with ALL accessories operating, we ain't there yet. And we ain't. Maybe one day. But not today. Not in any of our lifetimes, I believe.

Cant wait to run them off the road and watch the occupants melt in battery acid fire... then show up to the funeral to piss on their grave..and then bang their wives & sisters yeshhhhhh

Haha:popcorn::rofl::usflag::eek::D

You just ain't right. Did you have a head injury as a child? lol

Cant wait to run them off the road and watch the occupants melt in battery acid fire... then show up to the funeral to piss on their grave..and then bang their wives & sisters yeshhhhhh

Haha:popcorn::rofl::usflag::eek::D
I can’t wait to see a gas powered engine start without a battery.

323AB5EC-81A0-485B-98F7-9AF598238B4A.gif

If I had more free time on my hands and money burning a hole in my pocket, I'd seriously love to do an EV conversion on an older car. I do electrical work for a living, so it would actually be fun for me. That said, I really don't think I'd be using an A-Body or any body Mopar. Something smaller and lighter like this for example would probably be a better starting point
View attachment 1715680537
Why? That CRX HF got 50 MPG as it sits! Lipo sure got the battery weight down. You can buy a refurbished Prius battery for $600 now. I wonder what range you could get on that towing a diesel generator!

-
Back