The great oil filter debate

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Engine masters ("Oil filter Shootout" origional aird 12/32021) did a cut away and comparison of 10 or so oil filters, now they are doing some oil pressure and flow testing.

16388375775951704650292691676022.jpg

The construction was so different between the filters.

The "winner" was K&N gold (10 micron filtration vs 20 to 60 for the others)

Last edited:
Engine masters ("Oil filter Shootout" origional aird 12/32021) did a cut away and comparison of 10 or so oil filters, now they are doing some oil pressure and flow testing.
Just keep in mind that the results will be fleeting!! Companies are continuously going out of their way to get things made for less and less. So what might be good quality today may change tomorrow when the company changes the manufacturer (in order to make more money). Anymore there's just no way to know if something will be good or bad quality because it might be made in the US today, China tomorrow and Viet Nam the day after. I don't see how we can trust anything anymore. The days, of buying from a company that's been around for a hundred years, are gone. Even US companies get most of their products made somewhere else!!!:mad::mob::soapbox:

Last edited:
There are several of these comparisons on youtube. Wix seems to always come out on top and fram at the bottom.

One of the things they did not test is what the flow and pressure does as the filter gets dirty. I would GUESS the 10 micron would clog up faster reducing flow.
But that is just a guess

Just keep in mind that the results will be fleeting!! Companies are continuously going out of their way to get things made for less and less. So what might be good quality today may change tomorrow when the company changes the manufacturer (in order to make more money). Anymore there's just no way to know if something will be good or bad quality because it might be made in the US today, China tomorrow and Viet Nam the day after. I don't see how we can trust anything anymore. The days of buying from a company, that's been around for a hundred years, are gone. Even US companies get most of their products made somewhere else!!!:mad::mob::soapbox:
Yep, I don't know if I wanna cry, or just go off everytime I think of it. It's definitely a sad scenario, that gets me slap pissed off. No wonder most the younger kids have been screwed out of a chance to actually learn a trade or skillset that lasts a life time. Heck, when I was a kid , you could at least go frame a house, or hang and finish one... that's gone also. Thanks to imported labor, for jobs "no one" wants. Even poor kids here Fl, in the 80s, and early 90s could get a job at a lawn care place.

I run the filter I want to and so should you. That's my answer to the "debate".

I run the filter I want to and so should you. That's my answer to the "debate".
I ran the ph 8 fram for years, and Mopar filters (cheap) from Wally on my dailies. I had a Fram explode on my 4.0 Jeep, Now Totalled... thankfully I was pulling in Advance when it grenaded. Also, after cutting open a Purolator, vs a fram, the P was WAY thicker metal, the fram was thin as hell

Use good synthetic oil. I think that matters more than a filter. Just an opinion…..

Use good synthetic oil. I think that matters more than a filter. Just an opinion…..
I like my 20-50 vr1 for the car, the 4.0 got 10w30 dinosaur oil. I think the synthetic thing is a market tactic. Yes, is supposed to last longer w/o thermal breakdown of viscosity, but it's still dirty after 2500 miles. . Just an opinion Sir

I don't see how the new modern vehicles use a filter @ 1/4 of the size they used to be and good for 10,000 miles.
MPEFI, closed loop ECU's, modern machining, Synthetic oil, killer PCV, controlled EGR..its all modernized to the N'th degree. Makes the carb'd motors look like coal fired power plants. Look at the cross hatch on a 100K mile Magnum/Hemi and the relatively clean heads.

For DECADES engines had no oil filter at all. And that was with the ancient oil blends. Just something to think about.

For DECADES engines had no oil filter at all. And that was with the ancient oil blends. Just something to think about.
My ironhead XLCR never came w/ one, none of those did. but that killer green Pennsylvania crude base oil (70w) keeps her lubed good..

Yep, I don't know if I wanna cry, or just go off everytime I think of it. It's definitely a sad scenario, that gets me slap pissed off. No wonder most the younger kids have been screwed out of a chance to actually learn a trade or skillset that lasts a life time. Heck, when I was a kid , you could at least go frame a house, or hang and finish one... that's gone also. Thanks to imported labor, for jobs "no one" wants. Even poor kids here Fl, in the 80s, and early 90s could get a job at a lawn care place.

I have to agree, and disagree with your assessment of the jobs that are out there for young folks. There’s plenty of trade jobs out there, and companies dying for any young folks who want to work. I’ve had my son come on a bunch of jobs with me, at 14 or so, he was helping me lay tile, he’s done carpentry, stonework, drywall, and a few other areas of building. However, the problem, and everybody knows it, is that young people just don’t want to work. Oh, they want the money, they just want to do as little as possible to get it.

Here’s a pic of my son doing some tile work at the horse barn where he rides, and one of us up north jacking up a friends cottage and putting in a foundation. He was a tweenie in these pics, and yes, I pay him very well.

10995014-EC3C-4C7D-94C7-1178252406B4.jpeg

5C5BB07F-801C-45EE-B54A-62E1B20518CD.jpeg

59A9F64A-8FD9-4EEA-9674-1C06FE792C8A.jpeg

6F738E53-1530-4BFC-AF1A-EF961E90AB43.jpeg

I have to agree, and disagree with your assessment of the jobs that are out there for young folks. There’s plenty of trade jobs out there, and companies dying for any young folks who want to work. I’ve had my son come on a bunch of jobs with me, at 14 or so, he was helping me lay tile, he’s done carpentry, stonework, drywall, and a few other areas of building. However, the problem, and everybody knows it, is that young people just don’t want to work. Oh, they want the money, they just want to do as little as possible to get it.

Here’s a pic of my son doing some tile work at the horse barn where he rides, and one of us up north jacking up a friends cottage and putting in a foundation. He was a tweenie in these pics, and yes, I pay him very well.

View attachment 1715832128

View attachment 1715832129

View attachment 1715832130

View attachment 1715832131
That's Awesome! But, we're in Florida, Tampa Bay, ( became Miami)... way different here... but I have to agree, alot of the people don't wanna work, cept the Foreign ones! ... And Great Job! Yalls work Looks Great, and it is A Great Thing to teach Your Son, Craftsmanship and Pride!

Last edited:
And to the topic at hand, I run Wix in everything, and have for many years now. I agree with the above, back in the day, you could run a Fram, or Purolator or an STP filter and not worry, nowadays they’re just bad quality filters.

And to the topic at hand, I run Wix in everything, and have for many years now. I agree with the above, back in the day, you could run a Fram, or Purolator or an STP filter and not worry, nowadays they’re just bad quality filters.
Still, the thickness of the wall on a Fram and. Purolator, is night and day. Not saying the P is Quality, but it don't rip like cheap wet used toilet paper

Wix, because the Oreilys is closer than all the other stores, I don’t have to mess with all the Walmart and fast food restaurant traffic. Easy in-easy out.

Wix, because the Oreilys is closer than all the other stores, I don’t have to mess with all the Walmart and fast food restaurant traffic. Easy in-easy out.
Advance is closer here ( less than a mile) but they pretty much suck, and don't have any stock like they used to. And I HATE Wally, I ain't been in one for almost a year. There's a Dollar General bout a mile away, not alot of auto parts, but you can get household stuff cheap. I had 3 Publix's within 1 mile to 2 miles at my last place ( damn, need to go rescue my 440, and drum set) there ain't much here but a WD. And they charge like Publix... 6 miles to AutoZone, and O'Reilly is Right next to it.. so it looks like the ones posted above , for me, anyway, cause a Purolator is 12 bucks... or Wix at O'Reilly. Or, if I plan ahead, just swing by one in the way home one day to avoid a 12 mile round trip

-
Back