The Little Engine That Could

-

Reaction score
I'm starting the build up of my 65 Cuda it's a 53000 mile 273 2 barrel auto car red in and out. Rough body, interior not too bad, I want to make a hot little street machine out of it and to be able to run Time Attack (solo 1) Here in Canada I'm looking to make 400+HP out of the 273 with 4 gear and around 4:56 out back depending on track. If any thoughts on the engine can you post it in my 400+HP 273 thread link below Please & Thanks, I'll post some pic's soon.

First question I want to take off the factory under coating any DIY ideas I was thinking propane torch, scraper and wire wheel on grinder.

That's going to be a messy job for you my man. I would just go ahead and sand blast it if your going to repaint the whole car but if not I would try some heavy duty paint remover, I've used aircraft stripper before and it's worked pretty good but never on that scale.

First question I want to take off the factory under coating any DIY ideas I was thinking propane torch, scraper and wire wheel on grinder.

I think you're thinking right. Wear some eye protection and gloves and be prepared to hate your life for the next couple of weeks.

I think you're thinking right. Wear some eye protection and gloves and be prepared to hate your life for the next couple of weeks.

Do it in a well vented area, the fumes are toxic.

Here's some pic's of what I'm starting with.

Attachments

• DSCN0153.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 783
  • DSCN0182.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 760
  • DSCN0172.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 742
  • DSCN0179.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 774
  • DSCN0177.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 773
  • DSCN0158.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 765
  • DSCN0156.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 802
  • DSCN0155.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 782
  • DSCN0154.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 771
  • DSCN0165.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 812
Here's some more

Attachments

• DSCN0184.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 735
  • DSCN0183.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 757
  • DSCN0181.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 746
  • DSCN0180.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 764
  • DSCN0167.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 761
  • DSCN0166.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 742
  • DSCN0163.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 740
  • DSCN0161.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 761
  • DSCN0157.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 768
You know back when I was 15,my first car was a 62 Valiant 4 door ,push button shift, one but ugly car,but now that i am 50 those cars look so sweet when we do what we do to them nice ride looking forward to see how you do her.

Here's some of the front & rear end parts
1.03 torsion bars
2" drop sindles
16:1 steering box
tubular upper control arm
1 1/8 front sway bar
3/4 rear sway bar
adjustable front links
sloted and drilled 11.75 front rotors
(still looking for caliper brackets)
11 x 2.5 drums
(still looking for backing plates)
carbon metallic pads and shoes
B body 8 3/4

Haven't bought rear leaf springs yet gonna test out the suspension first to see what direction i need to go with the spring rate to balance it out. Also looking to get the Q1A dual 12 way adjustable shocks $$.

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 689
  • IMG_0107.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 724
  • IMG_0108.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 705
It's little early but I've been doing a little daydreaming today since i cant work on the car until i fix the garage first. I was thinking of paint schemes I wanna go two tone pretty sure on a black top with dark windows and black the chrome for the bottom the easy choice would be red no interior colour change needed, Hemi orange would be kool but I've alway want a sublime car I leaning that way maybe with a black strip from wheel to wheel just above the rocker. Now I alway like racing strip that go's over the hood, roof and trunk but I don't know if it would be too much with the two tone but I'd do it in the second tone (red, orange or green) or maybe a ghost strip. Can you buy sublime interior paint.

For the HP department, cam it big, gear it big.

Weird, your barracuda has a 65 Dart dash in it.

Looks like a good starting point good luck.

The main problem with the car is the front frame it's needs major repair around the torsion bar mounts but repairable and the rear wheel lips, anyone know where you can get patch panels for the hind quarters?

Can't wait till spring to work on my cars, but I've decided after reading someones comment its best not to make your car a dubble duty street/race car I've come to an agreement. So I've decide to keep the Cuda a street car so an Eddy headed 451 is in its future but for now if the 273 shortblock fine I'm gonna mill and port the stock heads throw a 340 intake and 650 with a solid 274ish cam and home build headers already got the kit.

For the race car Im using a low mileage 5th Ave I got, it's gonna be gutted with a stock car cage, seats and fuel cell. For suspension just sway bars, shocks and big sticky tires later its gonna get full stock car wide five suspension. Last engine gonna be just be 4bbl, cam and headers. Gonna call it "The Flying Brick"

nice project, good luck with it.
i have removed a bunch of undercoat and the best way i have found is the propane torch and a putty knife. just hit it little with the torch and then scrape it off with the putty knife. make sure all the stuff that can burn on the back side is gone. after a while you will see how much to heat it till it gets loose.

Love the early cars. So far its a good thing other dont so they remain within our price range. For the 1/4 patches check with guys parting cars and see if they will cut your patches. MeMike got a set of 1/4 bottoms and wheel wells from a 4 door being parted on here. Or Laysons has patches. Get with Rick here to buy from Laysons.

Love the early cars. So far its a good thing other dont so they remain within our price range. For the 1/4 patches check with guys parting cars and see if they will cut your patches. MeMike got a set of 1/4 bottoms and wheel wells from a 4 door being parted on here. Or Laysons has patches. Get with Rick here to buy from Laysons.

I love early 60's cars my fave are the Max Wedge cars, it's a double edge sword you find them cheaper to buy but harder to find parts though.

Here's some of the front & rear end parts
1.03 torsion bars
2" drop sindles
16:1 steering box
tubular upper control arm
1 1/8 front sway bar
3/4 rear sway bar
adjustable front links
sloted and drilled 11.75 front rotors
(still looking for caliper brackets)
11 x 2.5 drums
(still looking for backing plates)
carbon metallic pads and shoes
B body 8 3/4

Haven't bought rear leaf springs yet gonna test out the suspension first to see what direction i need to go with the spring rate to balance it out. Also looking to get the Q1A dual 12 way adjustable shocks $$.

I'm in Ontario also - can I ask what your source for suspension parts is?

The only thing I can think of that its a Canadian car.

My 65 Valiant Barracuda has the same dash as yours , It is a Canadian
made Barracuda, this dash also came in some Canadian made Valiants
and apparently Darts but I think the Darts were U.S. made not sure
about the dart thing.

This ought to wind up being a fun little car, but why not stick with the small block and maybe hit up some forced induction to hit the HP goal?

My 65 Valiant Barracuda has the same dash as yours , It is a Canadian
made Barracuda, this dash also came in some Canadian made Valiants
and apparently Darts but I think the Darts were U.S. made not sure
about the dart thing.

Rather than type it all here, go to http://www.valiant.org/canada.html fora very good explanation of US/Canada differences.

-
Back