The Other 68 Dart Resto Project

-
Oh shnapz! The dart is almost ready for paint eh!? You should record some of the painting process I would love to see that!!, would help me in my first restore. Looking good there FABO brotha! :cheers:

I have 2 gallons of Jet Black base. It will have a red tail stripe and red interior.

I would love to record everything, but I dont want to worry about recording while mixing and spraying paint. I will definately take still progress pics.

If I can get the car masked and the rest of the booth sealed up before the weekend, I will start spraying the primer next Saturday.

It will look almost exactly like this, except it will have a Hemi super stock style hood scoop. Although I have not decided wether to paint it gloss or matt black.

34321.jpg

Dang that booth looks good! Thanks for the info on the air system. I was eyeing the kit from eastwood, but will save some dough getting it from the source! Are you still going to shoot the paint with the same gun you tested out?

Got the grage door sealed up last night, it looks like we are a go for Saturday to start sprayiing sealer.

Keep us posted. I'll be watching since I'll be doing mine in a few months or so.

i am not sure if anyone has said this or not, but are those e-body headers you are using??? I used a pair in my duster BB conversion and there is an issue with the steering shaft also. I noticed you did not have yours in while you were test fitting the 400.

Yes, they are Hedman B-body headers. I have bought extra tube to weld in a few spots, I dinged them for clearance, but I dont like the restriction, so I am going to cut and reweld them.

Fly - just finished reading entire thread. Man you've been a busy boy even though you took time out for a new house and such. Looking good ! ! ! Can't wait to see it all done up . . .

Keep up the great work.

I have 2 gallons of Jet Black base. It will have a red tail stripe and red interior.

I would love to record everything, but I dont want to worry about recording while mixing and spraying paint. I will definately take still progress pics.

If I can get the car masked and the rest of the booth sealed up before the weekend, I will start spraying the primer next Saturday.

It will look almost exactly like this, except it will have a Hemi super stock style hood scoop. Although I have not decided wether to paint it gloss or matt black.

34321.jpg

Should be awesome, my guess is if your painting the hood gloss black then the scoop would look better the same but if the hood will be matt black then the scoop also, i just think it will look odd to have a nice glossy with a matt black scoop. Just my opinion though, I'll probably do mine either, black with white stripes the hemi scoop with white stripes somwhere and black interior with white stripes somehow too lol OR B5 Blue with white interior and white stripes. That one is really nice but the black is too TOUGH to not like it more lol :cheers:

Well, it was almost 23 months since I started the project. Today I laid on the epoxy sealer.

Today was step one I got the whole car covered in epoxy primer/sealer. Next will be color, then clear.

100_2599.jpg

100_2600.jpg

100_2601.jpg

100_2602.jpg

100_2617.jpg

100_2618.jpg

100_2621.jpg

100_2622.jpg

100_2624.jpg

100_2626.jpg

100_2631.jpg

100_2636.jpg

100_2637.jpg

100_2638.jpg

100_2639.jpg

100_2640.jpg

100_2642.jpg

100_2643.jpg

100_2645.jpg

100_2646.jpg

Oh gee! That looks great! You can definitely look at those straight lines from these pictures! Very nice keep up the awesome work!

looks great. what gun are you using? How did your booth do clearing the overspray?

I used the Astro EVO4014, the gun worked awesome, great pattern and atomization, no water got past the Dessicant filter, I went to drain the traps afterward and got not even a drop of water.

The booth worked well, but the exhaust filter clogged pretty quickly, had no problems with the intake (pressure side). A cloud gathered after about 5 min of painting, but it would clear in 5 min. I imagine that if I removed the exhaust filters, it would clear quicker, but I dont want the stuff all over the neighborhood. The biggest problem I had was my respirator clogged toward the end and it was getting hard to breath, I need to have two sets of filters each time I spray a layer.

Lookin good Flyboy!
C'mon, get some color on that badboy! The suspense is killin me!
NICE work you've done.

Keep in mind there is a time window to recoat the primer with color. If you go longer than the window allowed on the primer can, you'll have to scuff every bit of the car before paint.

George

I finished priming today, I had to do mthe topsides of the doors, trunk, and hood. I also found a few recent scratches in the trunk, door, and a divot in the scoop, so I filled them with a little glaze and shot the panels.

I have to go out of town tomorrow night, so I will have to let it sit and cure. I will scuff it up with fine gray scotchbrite pads before I shoot color.

100_2647.jpg

100_2650.jpg

100_2652.jpg

100_2655.jpg

100_2657.jpg

WOW is all I can say. This has been an incredible thread. I'm glad I am coming in at the closing of your restoration as I would have died from the suspense. I just sat and read the entire thread. I will be doing my 65 Dart and was going to build a temporary booth in my garage as well for the painting and body work, thanks for all the tips and ideas.

Another good ole Mopar Doc we got here! hehe FABO is to good, can't wait to start my thread, soon enough soon enough...slap that babe with paint and make us all drool!

Wow what super progress! Is that high build primer you put on there? What grit paper do you use to sand before sealer or color?

Yes I sprayed the whole car in high build primer initially for all the blocking, then epoxy primer for sealer (reduced 20%). Sanded with 320 on durablocks.

What tip did you use for the epoxy? Are you using the same gun for base and clear? I'll be shooting epoxy over filler and HB for blocking with a 1.8. Base and Clearcoat with a 1.4 tip.

I'm wondering if the 1.4 Iwata would be better for the final sealer coat of 20% reduced epoxy. That way it lays down really slick.

Your thoughts after shooting yours? How slick did it turn out?

Dave

I used a 1.4 tip, reduced 20%, its perfect, same for BC/CC. The thing to remember about the sealer, iit will show scratches from sanding when you shoot it, dont panic! It will flow out and smooth out when it cures. BTW, I love my gun, so much nicer than my previous gun. My biggest issue is dust particles that get in the sealer, as clean as I tried to make it, its still hard to control, I got fuzzies, a hair, and a couple of gnats in it. I know I am going to have to scuff and sand every coat, it is ptobably because the ventilation system is just nut up to snuff compared with a pro booth. But, a garage is a garage.

Good luck.

-
Back