The Other 68 Dart Resto Project

-
Underhood is wired, dash is wired (except for one molex for the gauges), the only thing keeping me from starting it is a few parts I ordered, hopefully, the dipstick tube and distributor will be here before the weekend. I also made a deal for a set of 17" front and rear wheels that I should have in a couple of weeks.

It looks like it won't happen this weekend, I called today, and they still have not shipped the distributor. I guess I'll spend the weekend doing other stuff, I am going to get everything ready so I only have to drop the dist in and turn the key.

I noticed the bracket that holds your fuel filter. Looks great. Did you make it?

I was looking through pics of your build. You're building very impressive ride. It's similar to what I'm building in many ways. I have a 68 Dart GT as well. The thread for my build is "Sly Fox Racing 1968 Dart". I had a question. On the clearance of the rear tires: Did you move the whole rearend assembly back and legthen the overall wheelbase of the car to fit that dia. size of tire in the wheel well? It doesn't appear that you cut the wheel well out any on the quarter. I'll keep watching for updates and follow what you are doing. I've really got a good look into what I'll be getting into and what I'll need to do when start doing those same things. You have some good detailed pics.

I have 325/50 tires, at 28" tall, you don't need to move the rear back. For 30" tires, you need to move the rear back, but you can't keep the stock fuel tank. I never cut the wheelwells.

I have 325/50 tires, at 28" tall, you don't need to move the rear back. For 30" tires, you need to move the rear back, but you can't keep the stock fuel tank. I never cut the wheelwells.

Okay, thx. Jeg's is lying then. They say your rear tires are 30" dia. When I seen that, I thought no way you fit that inside the stock wheel well. I plan on running a 29X10 slick under mine and I'll need to trim mine out some. Thx.

I got the electrical system tested sat night, I have a few small problems, but it mostly works, just have some issues with the high beams, need to figure it out, could be a bad relay. Also, did a dummy move, bolted the starter solenoid wire to the case and not the right terminal, duh! Guess its a good reason not to do wiring late at night when you are tired.

Just wanted to say keep up the good work, I can't wait to see the 100% completed project! This has been very inspirational and motivational to me with my 71 Scamp that I'm fixing in my tiny apartment garage.

Have not been able to do much the past week, I did manage to get the Demon carb rebuilt and setup, and got the Lokar throttle and trans cables setup and cut to length, but otherwise not much progress, I did take a little time off around Christmas week, so I am going to put that toward the Dart.

I am getting ready to fire it up, tested the starter, engine turns over.

Filled all the fluids.

Pressurized the oiling system, dumped a quart on the ground, spead oil dry. DOH!
100_3950.jpg

Replaced master cylinder, old one was frozen, no fluid coming out, new one only cost $18.99!?!?! Cheapest thing I have bought yet! Powder coated the cap chrome silver. Have a major leak at the prop valve, its a pain to get to, will do that later, but i'm not starting the engine without brakes, learned that lesson years ago in an old Pontiac.
100_3952.jpg

Finished the dash, rewired a few things to my preference, moved high beam switch to the dash, added electric fan override switch.
100_3955.jpg

Got the old chrome 70's era Mopar valve cover powder coated yesterday. I threw on the mopar stickers last night, not sure if they are staying yet.
100_3957.jpg

Had to go through 3 dipsticks, broke the first one, second one too short, bought a new chrome mopar dipstick, it was a ***** to install.
100_3953.jpg

Final wiring. Need to move the maxi fuse, its cover by the fender, no way to change it if it would ever blow. Doh!
100_3944.jpg

100_3943.jpg

100_3942.jpg

100_3938.jpg

100_3937.jpg

100_3934.jpg

Nice work I love the color scheme with the black and red. Looks real sharp and "pops"

You have given me some good ideas for my build. Thanks. You're coming along really well!

Today was the day to get the Dart fired up! This morning my buddy came over and we decided to get er done. But the day ended up with a partial victory. First thing we did was make sure all the fluids were topped off, then o realized I did not have enough hose clamps, so a trip to Pep Boys. Got back, but the Optima battery was too low in charge, so we went and bought a charger, but it still would not take a charge, then we took it to the parts store to charge it, the tested it and it tested bad, so I ended up buying another battery. Next issue was the ignition switch was not passing power to the ignition system, had to drive 20 miles to pick up a new switch and lock cylinder. Back home we were cranking it but the light on the ignition box was not lighting up, we figured out the new 440 source distributor was not triggering the box, so I swapped the old stock dist in, now it is finally triggering. But then had to change all the plug wire ends from post to socket. Now, it's 6pm, filled up the bowls with fuel, cranked, and I fired! It ran for about 30 seconds. But no fuel pressure, so tomorrow, I have to pull the pump and make sure the pushrod is engaged. But, at least it fired for a few seconds. Sometimes **** never goes right.

Had a few bugs/issues, Fixed a baffle in the V/C that hit the rockers, fixed a water leak, fixed the fuel pump (installed a diagphram backwards), still have a header leak, the thermostat does not seem to be opening, or I have a massive air bubble I have to burp (I put my finger in the water in the radiator and it did not seem any hotter than 150F), and i have a rattle that I have to trace down (think it might be the trans lines against the oil pan. I ran the engine for about 20 min, got to 210F, but did not get any hotter, Has awesome throttle response for an untuned engine. Here is the vid.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/red98dakota/8cf34789.mp4

:cheers:

Way to go Fly! Sounds awesome, can't wait to hear her once she's all tuned.

Congrats!

Well, it's been a while since I posted, but progress is slowly happening, right now a kitchen remodel is taking up my time. The Dart will be on the road this spring, just need to reinstall the interior and get insurance.

:cheers: Congrats on the completion. I must say, I have been following your build since you started. It is absolutely perfect in every way. Pat yourself on the back man!

Congrats....it looks like you made it to the Mini-Nats in Garland. I planned on going but this thing called work keeps me out of town tooooo much.

-
Back