The Other 68 Dart Resto Project

-
too tired to work on the car past couple of nights, but I am off for the next 5 days. Time to get some work done. Might try to start it this weekend.

I got a bit done last night, finished bolting up the headers, got the pass side subframe connector in, installed a new 3/8 alum fuel line, hooked up all the way to the tank, mocked up the front of the motor to make sure everything lines up, started building the braided lines, and got the driveshaft loop installed.

It was a slow weekend, I had a lot of "home" projects to do, but I did get some work done on the Dart. I got both frame connectors in, brake lines bent and installed, front suspension finished up, fuel system 100% finished, and tried to get the front accessory drive hooked up, but found that the pullies don't line up, so I ordered a complete front drive kit from 440Source, which has all three pullies, new alt, brackets, bolts, spacers, and belt. While I already had the brakets, spacers, and bolts, it's actually cheaper to buy the front drive kit.

This weekend I will get the brakes bled, exhaust installed, then work some more on the wiring.

988ed35c.jpg

b05e8e5e.jpg

e924f3c9.jpg

be0596c1.jpg

My custom 3" exhaust, I used Heddman S-pipes from the collectors which clamp on with band style clamps, next going into a Summit X-pipe right in front of the driveshaft loop, then back to a set of Summit dumps (these are the least restrictive available), then back to a set of thrush chamber mufflers, finally, a set of dumps, although I might do a set of tailpipes in the future.

06c21d7d.jpg

Well it has been almost 5 years since I started, the first thing I did was to wire brush the rear drums and spray them with Rust Encapsulator. Guess what, 5 years later, rust has NOT peeked through, that stuff works great, as promised.

This weekend I got a lot of loose ends finished up, I made up a set of steel trans lines, installed a adjusted the shifter, reinstalled new 1" torsion bars, reinstalled the drag links, idler arm, and tie rods, installed the proportioning block, I bent up a set of hard brake lines. I have 3 minor little things to do under the car before it goes down off the jacks and stays there.

do you still have the little spring that holds the original auto column shifter forward? If so, let me know if you want to get rid of it. thanks

From memory i'd say 1" long and 3/8" diameter. Its fairly stiff. If you pound out the pin that holds the column shifter on, its in there.

I might have the one from my 75 dart, but I'm pretty sure the one from the 68 was not in there when I took it apart, I think I know where I put the 75's spring, let me see of I can find it.

Instruments are now wired, built custom seat mounts for the buckets, seats are now in, and also did some powdercoating of various parts and brackets. Long weekend.

This was one of those weekends where I did a bunch of stuff, and it looks like I got nothing accomplished. I started doing the wiring, built a raised shifter mount, modified the console and built mounts for it, I also sorted and organized all the parts that need to go back on, i managed to find a few parts that were missing, but I still have not found that damned torsion bar clip!!!! $&@?!$

-
Back