The Other 68 Dart Resto Project

-
Bought it on abodyjoe's picture alone.

this is the third B&M kit I have used, I like that it shifts harder at part throttle

Working on the Dash today, more to come soon.

100_3659.jpg

100_3661.jpg

100_3660.jpg

100_3663.jpg

100_3664.jpg

This is how you get 28 3/4" by 5" usable dash space from an A-body. I am going to make an aluminum bolt-in dash panel later.

100_3674.jpg

100_3671.jpg

100_3670.jpg

100_3665.jpg

Wow...December 18, 2006....that's when I started this project. Where has all my time (and money) gone?

Five years for a full gut restoration. Several changes of mind on color, interior, engine, suspension, etc. Most of these changes cost me a lot of extra money. I have lost track of how much time and money I spent. Now I ask myself, was it all worth it?

I guess I won't know the Answer until it's back on the road again under it's own power, hopefully that will happen within the next 30 days. I probably would have been better off buying a finished body, then throwing a big block crate engine and trans in it, at least it would have been cheaper.

But honestly, doing it my way meant I have touched every single square inch of the car, I cleaned, painted, polished, replaced, modified everything to my meticulus standards. I have had many firsts, my first full trans rebuild, my first bodywork, my first paint job, etc.

Will I do it again? I hope not, but I probably will. Now that I am almost done, my thoughts are wondering what's next. Do I take a break, or do I dive into another project? I have always wanted to build a 29 Dodge hot rod pickup with a 5.7 Hemi and a 6 speed behind it...

Don't know how you are getting any work done in your garage with the heat we are having.........I think I would be in the house building that motor.
Looks good, keep it up.

Don't know how you are getting any work done in your garage with the heat we are having.........I think I would be in the house building that motor.
Looks good, keep it up.

LOL, I have a secret...a 12000 BTU a/c unit. It will cool the garage to -23 outside air temperature. However, 106F - 23 is still 86F, but if I get it cranking the night before, I can keep it from getting past 80F by the end of the day.

This is how you get 28 3/4" by 5" usable dash space from an A-body. I am going to make an aluminum bolt-in dash panel later.

100_3674.jpg

100_3671.jpg

100_3670.jpg

100_3665.jpg

Flyboy,
It looks like your dash panel insert is a single piece of steel with compound bends. Did you pull that off with the brake that is shown, it looks like a HF unit? How did you get all the bends where they needed to be with that brake, or am I reading too much into your photos? Nice work! L8r.

Jim

No, it's three pcs, the brake is 30", and I would have needed a 40" to make it out of one piece. I wish I could have, it would have been easier to do.

The truth is out......about the AC unit anyway. Don't blame you, my Duster is sitting with the radiator out (doing a shroud install) and new gauges and tach install half done. Its too frikin hot in the garage in the afternoon / evening to work out there.

This is what 5 hours of scraping 40 year old trans fluid, undercoating, and dirt, along with a healthy amout of solvent and a cut up bathroom towel will get you. My shoulder was gone, so I will have to paint tomorrow. I did the back half of the car two years ago up to the front spring perches. Good thing about a Texas car, only a little surface rust.

100_3679.jpg

100_3678.jpg

100_3676.jpg

Update, I got the underside painted this week, I plan to drop in the engine and trans this weekend. Along with frame connectors, driveshaft, DS loop, paint the rearend, get the exhaust mocked up, run new brake and fuel lines, and start reassembling the interior.

thanks for the update, man you have put tons of work into your Dart. I bet your ready to get it done. Nice work as always.

I managed to get the engine and trans put in today, I moved the rear end forward, had to drill new holes, and I got the wheel wells seam sealed. I also got the rear end welded and painted. I wanted to do more, but I spent 4 hours driving around replacing broken tools and trying to find some grade 8 bolts in the right size. I got tired of weak and dying battery packs for my cordless, so I went out and bought a huge 1/2" side handle 110v drill.

100_3710.jpg

100_3707.jpg

100_3704.jpg

Looks good, no doubt you are making use of the AC...........
I am trying to get some work done on my Duster and it was 101 this afternoon in the garage.

Not any significant progress on Sunday, I just did a bunch of unglamorous stuff, wire wheeled off the floorboards to prep for paint, spread a second coat of seam sealer, played around with the steering collumn, and did a little bit of welding. And in the midst of all that, I watched Inglorious Basterds again.

I got the wheel wells undercoated, all new brake lines for the rear end, and reinstalled the rear suspension and rearend. I'll see if I can get a little more done tonight.

Saturday project.

I finished sanding the filler on the dash, made it smooth. I then sprayed a few heavy coats of Featherfill on it, sanded it again, sprayed some more primer, then finished it all off with a few coats of Red.

100_3722.jpg

100_3721.jpg

100_3720.jpg

100_3716.jpg

100_3715.jpg

100_3714.jpg

100_3713.jpg

I got the rear suspension fully finished last night along with the driveshaft and billet ujoint stud girdle, except for a broken bolt which I have to fix now. Also did some wiring, installed the wipers, motor, and linkage, I took apart the wiper switch to figure out how to wire in an aftermarket new switch and came to the conclusion that I can't, so I cleaned and reassembled the stock switch.

I got the floors sprayed with rust encapsulator in a few spots where there was some rust, I also painted the front wheelwells and front suspension. This leaves me 4 whole work days to get the car running before the Mopar Mini Nats. Can I do it? I am going to try, I'll know better Sunday if I can. I will have to get moving on exhaust, fuel and brake lines, electrical, and cooling system.

Well, me and a buddy spent all days yesterday trying to get the headers in and everything to fit. These are the headers I custom made based off a b-body design. They used to fit, with a 400 block and stock heads, and a stock starter. Now my 383/432 block and 440 source heads spread the headers out a little farther. Also, I bought a mini starter, which has a small bolt that sticks out, exactyly where one of the tubes is. Also, on the same side, they hit my torsion bar. So i had to pull the torsion bar, dimple the headers, and reinstall the stock starter. Oh well. I guess I get to take the starter to the swap meet next weekend.

I also spent about 2 hours trying to sandblast the paint off one of the headers, no luck. The factory paint is like rubbery glue, so today I got some rags, a quart of laquer thinner, and got it all off the headers. I then sprayed them with a ceramic coating, which i am now going to try to cure in my BBQ grill.

hopefully in a few hours I will be fitting up the exhaust for the last time. Then the new 1.00 torsion basr go in. Then fuel lines and brake lines, next week, wiring.

Dash is in, wiring getting sorted.
100_3733.jpg

100_3732.jpg

100_3730.jpg

Curing Ceramic Paint in a BBQ grille, redneck engineering.
100_3727.jpg

100_3725.jpg

100_3724.jpg

My new 1.00" torsion bars.
100_3723.jpg

Headers went in last night, it is so much easier when you pull the torsion bars and drag link, 1/2 extra work saves 2 hours on header installation

-
Back