The story on the Javelin race that broke my car

-
Some people need to lighten up, geez.........I have met the OP and he is a great guy, we all have done things we shouldn't have so lets cut him some slack. I bet some of the comments here will make him think twice next time before doing something like this again when little ones are around.

I don't think he posted the story because the other guy had a kid in the car.

His mopar spanked the amc. Everything else is just a detail.

I say, good job. I am pretty sure you had enough sense to back out if things got a little hairy.

And this is why I stay away from this forum more and more. To all who took the story as what it was - a good story about a race - thanks, and enjoy. To all you other opinionated jerks that feel that you are holier than God and can't wait to tell everyone - KMA. I didn't ask for your opinion and I don't want it. This is just one more example of why I am leaving this forum. Too few good people and too many idiots.

"What the f*** are you talking about? He had a baby on board and started the race, not me. He didn't take it easy and I won. If you would like to come see me in person, I'll be happy to beat some man into you, you idiot."

Years ago, I was a news reporter in Delaware. I'll never forget an incident in a small town there.

A middle aged blue collar worker with a nicely restored classic car was minding his own business at a light when a smoked up teen in a primered rice rocket with no exhaust rolled up and began to provoke him. It was late at night, the road was deserted, so I guess the guy figured "WTF"?

As they "opened it up" on the main street, a family of 4 in a minivan pulled out down the road in front of them. The older, more experienced driver (with a much safer muscle car) easily maintained control and missed the oncoming disaster. The teenager, however slammed into the minivan, killing all of it's occupants.

I covered the resulting trials. BOTH drivers were charged with vehicular homicide and as I recall BOTH got 20-30 years in jail.

So what youre saying is stupid people that pull out in front of others cause accidents? I agree

I was gonna guess a bent pushrod.

Personally I think we should have 3 or 4 more threads on this. There's already two, and I didn't bother to read the first one.

Street racing...yeah I wouldn't do that...:)...but next time leave out the fact that you saw a baby in the car that you raced. Yes the other guy was the big idiot for racing with a baby in the car.

So back to the tick, seriously. Before adjusting the tick away, if it's possible to do so, wouldn't you want to check that the push rod wasnt bent first? I just figure that a bent part that has been made to work is a bad thing waiting to happen.

the only REAL moron, dumbass, in the whole story is the selfish idiot who would put his family in harms way by trying to show his nuts drag racing on the street. he is the one who has 100% control of his own vehicle. no body made him put his foot to the floor. if he had crashed and killed his family , it would have been his own damn fault for being that stupid.

The race is over, everybody survived.

Attachments

• D0PlV.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 376
So back to the tick, seriously. Before adjusting the tick away, if it's possible to do so, wouldn't you want to check that the push rod wasnt bent first? I just figure that a bent part that has been made to work is a bad thing waiting to happen.

I am pulling the valve covers tonight, probably the intake if I have time. We are getting 6-9 inches of freaking snow today anyway. I'll post what I find later.

is it possible that the tick ia coming back through the carb? maybe lift the air cleaner and see if it gets louder?

i had one that had valve train issues and a "POP" was coming through the carb but sounded like a tick with the air cleaner on and holding some of the sound in.

what the hell do you think this hobby is built on? STREET RACING! If it wasn't for the street wars the factories would have never had the horse power wars and we would all be driving around in bubble wrapped Toyota Prius's. Just let it go. Why do we build these cars? Because they are fast and dangerous. That is the whole appeal. So what he raced a guy with a kid in the car. The guy was going to run his car out anyways. Lets all just tuck our tails and conform with the rest of society. I say screw it and light em up.

And the resulting crashes, fatalities, and insurance increases were HUGE incentives to kill "This Hobby" in the early '70's.

Study up, bud.

And the resulting crashes, fatalities, and insurance increases were HUGE incentives to kill "This Hobby" in the early '70's.

Study up, bud.

And yet they didn't succeed. Enough with the he said she said. I wanna know about that tick! Pull it apart ad let us know

I think the baby was not real.. Just a doll in a car seat that he was using as a decoy thinking you would slack off and he could beat you... WRONG!! You spanked him and sent him running with his tail tucked... So that's the story, fake baby and no harm done...

I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have that memory of your first hell ride with your dad, I will never forget mine. I was about 5 in 1973 and he had a 71 Demon 340 4 spd, that thing was bad, we would roll out to some of the less traveled country roads and he would punch it from a dig up to probably 70-80. I was a car freak from then on, him and I talked and laughed about that our entire lives.

me too. my dad would give me rides on his triumph 750 in the early 70s, 90 mph on the straight backroads. I weighed about 90lbs and wore a helmet.
I guess, some today would call it child abuse, I call it becoming a gearhead.
I feel sorry for those of you, who can't trust yourselves or dads, you most have lived a protected childhood. BTW, which is worse streetracing or driving drunk? I'm sure none of you drive drunk, I don't, but I may be found doing 120 on the backroad.

We all know we should not race with a baby in the car.........it is unnecessary weight! :eek:ops:
Seriously though, too bad about the lifter / rod / header gasket or whatever the tick is. Hope the fix is as easy as a minor adjustment.

"What the f*** are you talking about? He had a baby on board and started the race, not me. He didn't take it easy and I won. If you would like to come see me in person, I'll be happy to beat some man into you, you idiot."

Years ago, I was a news reporter in Delaware. I'll never forget an incident in a small town there.

A middle aged blue collar worker with a nicely restored classic car was minding his own business at a light when a smoked up teen in a primered rice rocket with no exhaust rolled up and began to provoke him. It was late at night, the road was deserted, so I guess the guy figured "WTF"?

As they "opened it up" on the main street, a family of 4 in a minivan pulled out down the road in front of them. The older, more experienced driver (with a much safer muscle car) easily maintained control and missed the oncoming disaster. The teenager, however slammed into the minivan, killing all of it's occupants.

I covered the resulting trials. BOTH drivers were charged with vehicular homicide and as I recall BOTH got 20-30 years in jail.

Totally a horrible tragedy that could have been avoided if just ONE person would have made the "right" choice. :) Very sad for all. :sad7:

me too. my dad would give me rides on his triumph 750 in the early 70s, 90 mph on the straight backroads. I weighed about 90lbs and wore a helmet.
I guess, some today would call it child abuse, I call it becoming a gearhead.
I feel sorry for those of you, who can't trust yourselves or dads, you most have lived a protected childhood. BTW, which is worse streetracing or driving drunk? I'm sure none of you drive drunk, I don't, but I may be found doing 120 on the backroad.

Doing 120 on a back road by yourself....that's a choice. Killing yourself is fine by me. Killing an innocent person who didn't have a choice in the game, not so fine by me. I'm no angel, but I never ever took the truck or the car to an insane speed when others were in the vehicle for me. See, my father raised me to not take the lives of people who trust you to "not get them killed". It's just a piece of wisdom that more young people need to follow. No one is perfect for sure, but we can ALL be better role models to the punks coming up in the ranks. :binky:

I just quickly ran threw this thread quick ..............Mopar to ya is a racer that races......................... :thumleft:......................... :burnout:
Enjoyed ya at George Ray's Mopar to ya :thumleft: and if anyone was racing with there child
in/on the steet or on a track................ :thumbdow:

........................................ don't leave us and lets get the Tic out of it....

I agree, get off this man and put yourself in his shoes and his car..:eek:ops:

-
Back