The story on the Javelin race that broke my car

-
This thread needs bacon. Bacon to fix this crap, bacon to keep the op to the forum and nice hot slippery bacon grease to pour in the motor to fix that tick!:eek:ops:

Okay. Today I took it for a drive. It sounds better cold, but gets louder when warm. I got my stethoscope out and narrowed it down to the driver's side front. I went into town to get a vacuum tee and some hose to modify my stethoscope to gather sound without touching anything. I would be able to find an exhaust leak better that way. It's not exhaust and I can't hear it if I touch the head on either side at any place. I can hear it loud and clear if I touch the header manifold on the driver's side, and it's especially clear on the most forward cylinder. Next step is to pull the valve covers and hope it's just an adjustment. If not, the intake is coming off as well. It's leaking anyway, so the gasket was going to be changed regardless. Here is a video of the ticking noise and a picture of my ingenious (if I do say so myself) modification to my stethoscope. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOoHcPNDmFY"]Better sound of ticking noise - YouTube[/ame]

View attachment stethoscope.jpg

I have one of those and I agree I bet it works great that way.
If you don't mind my guess....... You could have a slightly bent push rod or a warn rocker ........ If not ether of those a lifter is not pumping up and need replaced.. Good luck and I hope it is just a slightly bent push rod 8-)

Happy to see you here today Mopar to ya:color:

No, but i'm smart enough to recognize that the past was far from great. As time has progessed we've become a freer society and that is always better. Compared to the repressed times past.

Really??????????? I lived through the 60's, 70's and 80's. I see a much more restricted society now then I did then.

Now on to the tick!

Okay, I got the valve cover off on the offending side. Everything looked good visually and nothing felt loose. I started it up and it was knocking near the front rockers, or so it seemed. I took off the jam nut and screwed the ball stud all the way out of the first rocker. It looked good, the push rod looked good and moved well and spun. I put the ball stud back in as tight as I could with my fingers, than put the jam nut on loosely so I could adjust it a bit and see if the noise went away. I started it up and it was quiet. Huh. I loosened the ball stud just a hair and started it up and it was ticking. I tightened it finger tight again and the noise was gone. I am feeling hugely lucky at this point. I am going to the Comp Cams website to see how they recommend adjusting these rockers. Unless someone knows how and responds to this post really soon. I plan on driving this car this evening, so I am moving. Here are a few picks of the valve train.

View attachment Valve train.jpg

View attachment Valve train 1.jpg

Okay, I got the valve cover off on the offending side. Everything looked good visually and nothing felt loose. I started it up and it was knocking near the front rockers, or so it seemed. I took off the jam nut and screwed the ball stud all the way out of the first rocker. It looked good, the push rod looked good and moved well and spun. I put the ball stud back in as tight as I could with my fingers, than put the jam nut on loosely so I could adjust it a bit and see if the noise went away. I started it up and it was quiet. Huh. I loosened the ball stud just a hair and started it up and it was ticking. I tightened it finger tight again and the noise was gone. I am feeling hugely lucky at this point. I am going to the Comp Cams website to see how they recommend adjusting these rockers. Unless someone knows how and responds to this post really soon. I plan on driving this car this evening, so I am moving. Here are a few picks of the valve train.

Lucky indeed I think

Okay, It was the exhaust rocker on #1 that was clicking. I went and adjusted the whole bank, and this week when I can drive it to the shop I will pull the other valve cover when I do the intake gasket and adjust that side as well. It is quiet now and runs beautifully. All for the price of a valve cover gasket. I can't tell you how happy I am. I was looking at a $530 set of hydraulic roller lifters that I didn't want to buy.

I think the only things that could add to this experience are if nobody had seat belts on and both drivers had an open beer between their legs.

Then it would be JUST like the '70's(that I grew up in) when nobody cared.

As a former street racer, I'll say this: When you have two guys beside each other in cars, good judgement goes out the window. Especially if there are a bunch of good ol' boys standing around watching.

Anyway, street racing ain't nothing. Take it to the track where the timeslips don't lie and driving skill means more than just getting slippery street tires to hook finally.

/6 Matt that is hilarious!
Thank you, thank you. I might actually break out the bacon if people won't leave crap alone and be glad the OP's tick is gone.

And to the OP, glad to hear it was just an adjustment! You got off easy.

Except that I built this car to be a street car. It is designed to take the majority of the cars I meet on the street. I don't have the time or inclination to spend time at the track. Time trials are nice to talk about, but winning races is much more fun.

One of the best childhood memories I have are with my dad. We had a 69 SS 396 turbojet Chevelle I was like 5-8 and he would get on it. I remember racing lots of people at lights. I'm not going to say that was a smart thing for my dad to do but the guy mentioned probably does the same sh*t with his kid if he's dumb enough to do it once he will probably do it many other times. Sounds like his wife might have talked some sense into him I agree on a rematch now that its fixed!

Except that I built this car to be a street car. It is designed to take the majority of the cars I meet on the street. I don't have the time or inclination to spend time at the track. Time trials are nice to talk about, but winning races is much more fun.

True that..... All these guys run it from light to light and then come on here and act like angels..... Give me a break they are all FOS when they say they would not do what you did. I run my chit against anyone who want's a piece of it, them not knowing they are gunna get the whole enchilada,,,,, and no I ain't Bullshittinnn!! Lol :burnout:

Glad you got it sorted out.... And don't take no chitt from nobody at the next light!! haaaa

I remember those days, early 2000's, lol. Used to street race my 71 Swinger. There was a "designated" road that we would all go to...Bear Creek Highway. The road was as straight and flat as far as the eye could see. It's where everyone would go to race. That's actually the road I first learned how to race on....with a 68 440 RoadRunner!! Whenever someone from a neighboring town would cruise over and get that itch, that's where everyone would head.
Heck, even the Police officers that I would see from time to time at the gym would ask me if I'd beaten anyone over the weekend on Bear Creek.
One officer that I got to be friends with was pretty disappointed when the chief chose a new Crown Vic over the Hemi Charger when they purchased a new ride as he would be the one driving it. Said he wanted to see how it would fare against the 318 Dart, Lol!!

Just a few notches under the street Dart's belt included: 66 GTO 389 Tri-Power, 67 Chevelle Malibu Pro-Street 327, 81 Z-28 Camaro 350.
Never was challenged by any Ferds though, weird.

Oh yeah, Mopar to ya, I'll be running those same rockers on my 318. Do those machined shaft hold-downs actually come down around the shaft and touch the rocker pedestal? I'm thinking of making my own and not sure how tall to make them in relation to the pedestal.

Lucky indeed I think
Best you got, Luck and knowing is about even if you are honest :D

Okay, It was the exhaust rocker on #1 that was clicking. I went and adjusted the whole bank, and this week when I can drive it to the shop I will pull the other valve cover when I do the intake gasket and adjust that side as well. It is quiet now and runs beautifully. All for the price of a valve cover gasket. I can't tell you how happy I am. I was looking at a $530 set of hydraulic roller lifters that I didn't want to buy.
:cheers: Outstanding news this evening :color:

I think the only things that could add to this experience are if nobody had seat belts on and both drivers had an open beer between their legs.

Then it would be JUST like the '70's(that I grew up in) when nobody cared.

As a former street racer, I'll say this: When you have two guys beside each other in cars, good judgement goes out the window. Especially if there are a bunch of good ol' boys standing around watching.

Anyway, street racing ain't nothing. Take it to the track where the timeslips don't lie and driving skill means more than just getting slippery street tires to hook finally.

Well said and A hard emotion to put in place at the time :D Don't ask, I know

Thank you, thank you. I might actually break out the bacon if people won't leave crap alone and be glad the OP's tick is gone.

And to the OP, glad to hear it was just an adjustment! You got off easy.
Yep, got off easy, but looked in the right places to fix it /6 Matt :wink:

True that..... All these guys run it from light to light and then come on here and act like angels..... Give me a break they are all FOS when they say they would not do what you did. I run my chit against anyone who want's a piece of it, them not knowing they are gunna get the whole enchilada,,,,, and no I ain't Bullshittinnn!! Lol :burnout:

Glad you got it sorted out.... And don't take no chitt from nobody at the next light!! haaaa
I would stand back and see where the finish line was, or could be...or was in there mind... Maybe 8-)

I remember those days, early 2000's, lol. Used to street race my 71 Swinger. There was a "designated" road that we would all go to...Bear Creek Highway. The road was as straight and flat as far as the eye could see. It's where everyone would go to race. That's actually the road I first learned how to race on....with a 68 440 RoadRunner!! Whenever someone from a neighboring town would cruise over and get that itch, that's where everyone would head.
Heck, even the Police officers that I would see from time to time at the gym would ask me if I'd beaten anyone over the weekend on Bear Creek.
One officer that I got to be friends with was pretty disappointed when the chief chose a new Crown Vic over the Hemi Charger when they purchased a new ride as he would be the one driving it. Said he wanted to see how it would fare against the 318 Dart, Lol!!

Just a few notches under the street Dart's belt included: 66 GTO 389 Tri-Power, 67 Chevelle Malibu Pro-Street 327, 81 Z-28 Camaro 350.
Never was challenged by any Ferds though, weird.

Oh yeah, Mopar to ya, I'll be running those same rockers on my 318. Do those machined shaft hold-downs actually come down around the shaft and touch the rocker pedestal? I'm thinking of making my own and not sure how tall to make them in relation to the pedestal.

Sounds like Bono hill to me, but back in the 70'es :wink:

I don't remember. I didn't look any closer than I needed to when I adjusted the rocker. I will have the other side off this week and can look closer and get you some better, close up pics.

:angel9:Back in the day, I had a pretty spunky valiant that I used to beat up on small block mustangs and the occasional unsuspecting camaro. I had heard about a guy with a javelina that was rebadged and running a 390 in it but claiming to only have a 301. I finally ran into to him at a legally sanctioned NHRA race event (wink, wink) and ratted him out in front of a large group of top fuel drag racers when I dared him to open his hood first. It was at this point that the track tech officials determined he had signed up for the wrong class and I politely declined him.

-
Back