The tear-down of Jake's 65 begins....

-
We started making the interior doorpanels... Sheet of hard board/panel, 2.5 yards of naugahyde (sp?), a sharpie and a can of spray adhesive... and the old ratty panels to use as a pattern... just gonna be smooth and black....We plan to incorporate 1/2 of the door panel clips instead of trim screws thru the front... AND the wife let us use the kithcen table for our layout and cutting....

Attachments

• IMG-20130304-00096.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 616
  • IMG-20130305-00097.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 623
  • IMG-20130305-00098.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 616
  • IMG-20130305-00099.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 620
....good to see you doing this

Thanks - But which part Scotty? Using the kitchen table without getting yelled at?? You've seen how many mouths I had to displace to do it...LOL...

23 years ago I did the same thing to my 69 RR ... Rather than spending buku bucks on new correct door panels for a daily driver, I opted for a clean smooth look..... I think they'll turn out just fine for Jake.... Hell, just fitting the straight back boards in place looked a lot better than what came out of it..........We're going to wrap the kick panels too - intead of just painting them black like the originals.

Latest update on the B'cuda...

All major bodywork is complete except for the melding of a 70-74 Cuda hood buldge to the 65 hood... Interior is in and complete... Trans is rebuilt sitting on the bench... The original 273 is under the workbench and a fresh 318 (I just happened to have lying around for 28 yrs) is ready to go in... Need to finish prepping the front fenders and valance, and the little stuff like carb rebuild, fuel pump, radiator, driveshaft, positive battery cable..... then exhaust and paint.....

We just might make it by September for Jake to start his Senior year of High School in it.... Might depend on him finding a job that fits around his sports schedule - or visa-versa....

I had to put my Wanna-bee project on the ground to roll it out of the way for access to the 318 that was under the bench - Jake's soon to be 5yr old lil brother says we can start working on that one as soon as we finish Jake's car.... My wife just gave us the eye roll........

I see you are moving forward and looking good, I enjoy this thread and it helps me get my mind set to do the same, Keep up the good work and enjoy every minute you and your son spend together, :eek:ops:Oops booth of your sons :-D

Keep up the good work and enjoy every minute you and your son spend together, :eek:ops:Oops booth of your sons :-D

Have a 3 yr old lil girl too.... She'll come out and hug my leg, tell me she loves me andthen goes off to pick dandelions to put in the flower bed.... the wife cringes when I tell her what a wrench is....lol

Thanks to all for the support and watching!

So the interior, other than the door panels, is in, front and rear glass is in... need to get pics of all that still..............but for now, enjoy the placement of the heart of the fish....

I'm dropping the radiator off for a re-core tomorrow, have a positive battery cable on the way, need to rebuild the carb and get the driveshaft shortend 2.25" since we put an 8-3/4 rear out back.....

And before anyone wants to blast us for it - The underhood area IS black....... so are the jambs, as the whole car will be black......lol

Are the horns supposed to be up on the top of the inner fenders? That's where they were removed from, so that's where we put them back to......

And if you notice what we found was wrong in the 1st pic, you'll know why we had a block of wood in the 3rd pic......lol We are blaming each other with no admissions to any knowledge of who/why... LOLOLOL

Attachments

• IMG-20130501-00016.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG-20130423-00011.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG-20130423-00010.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG-20130423-00009.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 487
Just about ready to makesome noise with the engine - just a few odds and ends to tie up there. So until we get those, we started on the hood morphing..... laid out andmade the initial cut on the donor hood, laid it on top of the 65 hood, have it all marked ready for trimming and ready to make the initial cuts on the flat hood..... No need for the E-body guys to get upset, the donor hood was in pretty bad shape in the rear corners......

Attachments

• IMG-20130531-00107.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG-20130531-00106.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 446
  • skeleton.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG-20130530-00101.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG-20130530-00100.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 435
Lookin bitchin! Good to see you guys working together as a family, reminds me of working on cars with my old man many years ago. He will, like myself, appreciate everything about that car because he helped build it and knows what it takes to make a project like that come to fruition. Way to go man keep truckin!

So Jake is done school for the year and I was off today. After spending time with the wife and all 3 kids most of the day, Jake and I slid out to the garage for a couple of hours. Got the 70-74 skin stripped, cut out the old 65 flat hood and stripped it. Oh - we also picked up the new driveshaft this morning. We had to have his shortened ~2 inches after installing the 8-3/4, so we just had a whole new shaft built instead...

The skin is just sitting on top right now... Gonna flange the edge all the way around and slide it in under the edges of the original hood. We kept the raised bracing under the buldges near the rear of them. It lines up with the flat bracing of the 65 hood. We'll have to drill a few access holes to get the speed nuts on the pegs of the scoop bezels.

How do you like the way I'm using the window opening of the Wanna-Bee as part of my work area - lol.

Attachments

• driveshaft.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 387
  • old skeleton.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 385
  • stripped underside.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 402
  • stripped top.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 387
Don't know Scotty - you've already got paint, we don't... It pretty much comes to a halt for us as of last night for the next 4 weeks. We leave for a 2 weeker in Myrtle Beach next weekend, followed by 3 days in Carlisle. Gotta get the camper and truck cleaned up and waxed for the road trip(s). That, and it looks like Jake starts a mostly full-time job for the summer next week.

Made a little progress today after having to go to work and then enjoying my father's day cookout....

We got the under side of the skin and the topside of the frame in rustoleum. Did the "slide the skin under the edge of the original" maneuver for the initial test fit. I think weneed to slit the rear corners just enough to aloow the rear section to come back out on top and past the rear edge so we can slide it back forward to tuck the front edge under the original, and then tuck the rear edge under when we adjust it to the rear again. That will get the whole skin under the original. The pics really don't do it justice. For never being a body man, I'm starting to impress myself.

Attachments

• test fit side.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 356
  • test fit front.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 358
  • painted skin.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 370
  • painted frame.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 360
So we got the skin completely under the lip of the original hood. All the original bracing stays in tact, and the buldge bracing does line up just enough to make it all one with the two. Measured from both sides and the rear in a couple of places- it is as centered as well as if it was a factory job. We tacked the buldge brace on the ends to the skin, and once the top side is welded all the way around, we'll tack the bracing of the two together....

Attachments

• IMG-20130617-00132.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG-20130617-00133.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 341
Looks good man. Custom hoods look bitchin and transform the whole look of the car. Well done.

Looks good man. Custom hoods look bitchin and transform the whole look of the car. Well done.

Thanks GT - We think so, as well. After doing the flip top gas filler hole as my 1st ever custom attempt, the hood seems a natural.

Now that I think about it, We've got a little bit of all 3 generations of B'cuda goin into it....

-
Back