Theft-proofing a convertible with no steering lock

-

TylerW

Reaction score
How would you guys do it aside from hiring a security guard or never taking it out of the garage?

Take the steering wheel with you and install an ignition deterent (Like grounding the white wire or shorting green/purple of an MSD through a hidden switch, ie. run switch disguised as the cigar lighter). Can't hotwire a car if it can't get a spark.

I had a friend who restored old mustangs at his home and would park them in his side yard for sale when he finished.

After having more than one stolen he got so he would let the air out of one of the tires when parking it outside.

Told me he never had them steal one with a flat tire , and just to keep a full air tank or 12v compressor with you to re inflate the tire.

Then there is always using the club steering wheel lock along with the one that locks the brake pedal.

Or do what I do and not park it anywhere I can't see it , an exception would be the weekly cruise nights where I just take the keys and hope for the best.

Also I have a stated value for it on my insurance , is a little more but makes me feel safer

Power shut off and mabee an electric fuel pump all hiddn as said good luck , I had my 70 GS dart 340 taken from me 25 years ago .POOF GONE

Don't you just hate thieves? How about a block of C4 under the seat with the detonator wired into the starter circuit that can be deactivated with a switch only you know about? If they're gonna try to steal it, may as well render the parts useless...

I have a piece of vinyl black tubing with two spark boots on it. I remove the wire between dizzy and coil, and replace with that. Looks like a wire, but is just a hollow tube. Then I pocket the coil wire and go about my day.

But with a convertible they sell alarms that will put up a "bubble" and if it senses any movement within that bubble, it will set off the alarm and disable the ignition. It is inteded for convertible cars, so if you have the top down and someone reaches into the cabin, it goes off.

I had a friend who restored old mustangs at his home and would park them in his side yard for sale when he finished.

After having more than one stolen he got so he would let the air out of one of the tires when parking it outside.

Told me he never had them steal one with a flat tire , and just to keep a full air tank or 12v compressor with you to re inflate the tire.

Then there is always using the club steering wheel lock along with the one that locks the brake pedal.

Or do what I do and not park it anywhere I can't see it , an exception would be the weekly cruise nights where I just take the keys and hope for the best.

Also I have a stated value for it on my insurance , is a little more but makes me feel safer

Although no method by itself is full proof, if you do enough to slow them down or piss them off, that's the best deterrent. Makes the other car at the next house, street, or block an easier target. I use many things ranging from a lock through the shifter locking into park. Shifter is welded to the floor. Steering wheel lock, column lock, pedal lock, battery located in trunk, hidden kill switch, alarm system with 2 way pager on a battery backup. Wheel locks and the boot on both one front and back wheel. Making it un-towable and or drivable. Carcover locked down, 4 hood locks, blocked in my driveway right outside my window. Security cameras with motion sensors and security lights on all night. I sleep right near the window. I also don't sleep that well due to insomnia, so it's light sleep at best. A Shotgun and 357 magnum by my side. Perimeter fence and have guard dogs. Doubt anyone will try to take any of my sh*t and live to tell...............

Attachments

• image.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 323

Attachments

• DOG.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 333
When it comes to theft, overkill is the best policy, then the dumb B*stards will walk away and hit elsewhere. My whole street is full of flood lights, security cameras and many retired people with nothing better to do than spy on everything and call the cops for every person or vehicle they don't recognize........ Nothing gets messed with here........... But they are sticklers to every rule and ordinance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 323
Start with forementioned ignition system break the ignition feed, and especially if you have an electric pump

But remember, what it all comes down to is, they show up with a trailer / wrecker and have the time to hook it up. This doesn't take long if it's halfway accessable

So what? do you do?

I would investigate cell based tracking. If you have a "family plan" cell group, get an extra phone, and investigate how to track it. Figure out a way to hide the phone in the car, up above the glove box, etc

Park it so that loading it onto a trailer without starting it is difficult or impossible. At home, a simple cover is a deterrent.

If the steering wheel has a steel rim (and I'd bet it does in 1968), The Club could actually help, especially if, before parking, you crank the steering over.

Install a hidden line lock in the brakes that activates all 4 wheels.
You can't drag the car onto a ramp truck or tow it, let alone drive it away.
Ignition cut out switch that is hidden is good as well.
Move to a small town where there's all Chevys or Fords. No one will want to steal it, and if they do, everyone will know about it.
Seriously, if someone wants to steal it that bad, they will find a way.

Of course you can, silly. It's done by repo clowns every day of the week.

FWD in park? Parking brake locked? NO PROBLEM

Hell if the repo clowns are in a hurry and don't want to confront the "former owner" they don't even put the GD thing on dolleys. They just hook one end and slide 'er off down the street a couple -three-four blocks. Ruin the tires? What, they care? NOT!!

The thing to do is just make it a little difficult. There is no such thing as an energetic thief.

Similar thread on an Early Bronco forum.

Lojack requires effort, awareness and equipment on the part of the LEO's to be effective.

Something mentioned there that I've not seen here is a variety of GPS/cell phone technologies that A) can tell you where the vehicle is RIGHT NOW, B) set up a perimeter 'fence' that sends you an alarm if the vehicle moves outside of it, C) in some cases can remotely kill the ignition/ECU/fuel pump etc. I looked into it a little, don't know a whole lot about it, yet. Apparently some car rental Co's are using these systems.

Ignition cut out switch that is hidden is good as well.
Move to a small town where there's all Chevys or Fords. No one will want to steal it, and if they do, everyone will know about it.
Seriously, if someone wants to steal it that bad, they will find a way.

A rollback will load a car with all 4 wheels locked easily...been there and done that.

-
Back