Thinking about selling..need advice

-
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I guess when you have had a car for so long it sometimes just seems like another car. There definitely is nothing like the sound of an old carbureted V8 that a newer car wont be able to replicate. I think the best decision is to keep the car, save up for the gear vendors and maybe around christmas time, buy it. I do enjoy working on the car, I guess sometimes you just need to take a break from working on it. Especially when parts dont fit and you always have to make it work. Thanks FABO.
(smart guy right here) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Probably a lot of good advice, and I admit I did not read but a few.

My take: Do you need to sell it for the $ ??

You had it 16 years and good memories of your dad. Think.

Are you a surburban-ite and need the space?

Does owning/driving the car give you pleasure or not?

Will the NEW Challenger give you the pleasure that you assume it will. Go rent a Hell cat and a V6 Challenger one weekend and take a trip with the wife. Rent a modern Stang or Camaro and make sure you want a Dodge!!???? ha

MY appraisal fee is $300 prepaid! hahah My take is the old market has been soft and still is soft in general. My value is $8000-12000. Others will say $6000 to $15000. A few more will say take it to BJ and catch some rich jerk drunks and get $30,000 plus the idiot buyers fee 10%, ( less commsissions and cat. fee!) ha again!

I think the best of all work[worlds is both. But if you do not enjoy the old car, sell it and have no reqrets. Just take a lot of photos!!

Slopar72, Well the funny thing is, I have an A500. I just am worried about the integrity after cutting out the crossmember area. I see others have done it, but I think I need to do more research and asking around about long term results. Thanks Toolmanmike, and everyone else. It is nice to hear complimente about my car, I think it has come a long way. It was originally a 273/904 car. My dad surprised me with it for my birthday after I saw it in the San Jose Mercury Newspaper for $400. The owner needed it gone and said it didn't run. My dad flipped the distributor 180 degrees and it started right up.

Circa 2003

Screenshot_20190727-160731_Gallery.jpg

Slopar72, Well the funny thing is, I have an A500. I just am worried about the integrity after cutting out the crossmember area. I see others have done it, but I think I need to do more research and asking around about long term results. Thanks Toolmanmike, and everyone else. It is nice to hear complimente about my car, I think it has come a long way. It was originally a 273/904 car. My dad surprised me with it for my birthday after I saw it in the San Jose Mercury Newspaper for $400. The owner needed it gone and said it didn't run. My dad flipped the distributor 180 degrees and it started right up.

Do what's needed to make the car what you want it to be. As for modifying it, people do it everyday and can make it stronger and more rigid. I am molesting an H code car so my purity theory is in the clanker when it comes to cars lol...

Is your dad still living?

JW

My take? I like the old cars and their old car ways. The sentimental value of your history with the car is more important to me than the value of selling it. However, if you are bored or tired of it, and there’s a car you REALLY want out there, I think your Dad would agree that a trade or sale to get your dream car would be an acceptable move. That’s what I did, I had my GTX for over 20 years, and although I loved that car, I’ve always wanted a 70 Roadrunner. I decided that the time was right for me to make that happen, and I’m glad I did. I thought I would have sellers remorse, I didn’t. Instead, I have a new found passion for the car that I feel I waited all my life to get. If there’s a car you really want out there, I would consider moving the Dart, but I think in the end, the Dart is probably irreplaceable. It ties you to your Dad, and no other car can replace that!

I agree with cosgig ^^^^. You have to do what you think is right. But let me say this As I have made it all the way to 71 years old, this I know, as we age memories become very important. If we live long enough, memories will be all we have. Parents and relatives pass on, sometime, God forbid, we can lose a child.
Only you can know what is right for you and you only.

I am guessing you have the 3.23 rear gears in that 69 Dart. The engine will wind pretty good at 70 mph freeway speeds, like 3000-3500 rpm plus.

Drop in a set of 2.94 rear gears and you will only be turning your engine at 2000 rpm at 70 mph freeway driving. With still plenty of power along the way to pass anyone you want. 360s are known for the great low end torque they have besides.

Love the 2.94 gears, pushing around a B body with a 260 hp 318 4bbl, great overall performance, cruising, and pass anybody you want when you want.

Then drop in the Vintage Air and you are good to go.

Cheers . . . Keep that Car !

I've been there and done that! Please keep your dart and just buy a newer Challenger. I had a 68 charger me, my brother and dad worked on together, I had it for several years and even sold it once and after years of finagling got it back, I said I would never get rid of it again, but after a nasty divorce and dating again I like you wanted something with air and more date friendly so I sold it and a 69 charger also and bought a corvette. BIG MISTAKE! After about four year's I started missing it again, not only the car but the memories with my brother and dad in it and all the good time's, now it's gone forever I've tried to track it down with no luck and even if I found it the price would be out of my reach now. I'd hate to think of anyone else feeling the pain of loss over a car like I have this one, its not the car its the memories with loved ones the car brings. Please keep your dart! Thanks! Mitch

-
Back