those that have builded a frontend?????

-

earthmover

in the tire smoke
Reaction score
maybe i'm thinking on this a little to much but would it be possible to or would it work???
place car on jack stands remove everything except spindle ,now muck damn sure the wheels are going forward (pointed)..make a plate out of 1/4 stell that will bolt to the spindle that hangs down under the car,now weld a plate to that and to the frame rail..ok unbolt the spindle from the ball joints and remove and change side..now the plate has not moved only thing moved (in mind ) is the point that the drag link bolts to now its on the front and not the back...so now we move to the rack and mount it in good a tight(close) to the mount point of the spindle and make a bracket instead of heating and bending that will go from the spindle mount to the rack...would this work or is it still gonna give you ackerman/bumpsteer problem???? this is just something im thinking of and have not tried..so i would like some info from those that have build a frontend ..i dont need any info on the alterkation or the cap, or the bondo bob setup just some good old help from those that have done it...was lookin over the soildworks program sofeware and thought about trying it.. but had this in my head for a few days now....also before all the work is to be strted the frame will be cross braced so it will not move in any way cause the kframe will be cut and boxed while or before the spindle work is strated so that we have a good point to mount the rack..thanks also i have a susp. book that im reading and plan to get a few more so i know to read and look so lets hear it guys mike:happy1:

i would like to add im am not just calling the people above out for any reason i think they all have a great produce but im trying to do my own car so its not a kick before anybody even try to shoot that out.....thanks mike

wooooooooooo nobody:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::protest::protest::protest::protest::protest::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1:

Too much thinkin' goin on I'm a thinkin'

I have driven some street machines with rack and pinion added on a budget, they go down the road, but hit a dip in the road and you can feel the bumpsteer turning the wheel on its own, not a good feeling and also the steering arms for a gearbox are too long , no turning radius with a rack.
I think if you dont mind some fab work, one of those mustang II style frames would be the best bet for low budget, all your geometry is built in the frame and mounting points. Plus your bolting on a forged spindle has the steering arm on it that will be strong , no worries about something bending or breaking hitting a pot hole.

Something like this:

http://www.welderseries.com/blog/online-store/21906/

Or your own:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70073

I think I saw some place offers a piece that is added to the arms on the lower ball joints already. That arm that extends off the lower joint is a odd shaped piece of cast so I dont know how the aftermarket piece will attach securely.
I bought a power steering rack from a Dakota pick up planning the front steer install.
I later decided there are too many geometry issues to overcome.
New plan is to replace the stock power steering gear with the rack retaining the factory rear steer design.

I later decided there are too many geometry issues to overcome.
New plan is to replace the stock power steering gear with the rack retaining the factory rear steer design.

I saw a 55 chevy done up like that, except they didnt make sure bumpsteer was correct. The inner pivot points of the inner tie rods could be matched to the inner control arm pivot points with a custom rack to keep bumpsteer in check.
Steering arms designed for a rack are shorter to allow full turning radius, whatever the length of your steering arm is measured from ball joint to where outer tie rod attaches is how much the rack needs to turn
Most racks only turn 6 inches or less, on that 55 you couldnt just pull into a parking spot without backing up, very short turning radius was a pain for a street car.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/steering-arm-turning-radius-problem-122323.html

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do. Just replace steering gear box with front steer rack and pinion? Are you replacing existing control arms and torsion bars? How you have explained isn't exactly how I would go about it, but that could be because I've been staring at suspension geometry software too long and don't know which side is up...

ok i want a front steer rack and plan to do away with the tbars and go coil over...now im glad that you have software cause i could use the help...so how would or do i go about just converting to front steer rack and keep everything inline ????i also plan to mod the kframe for a dragster type oil pan to fit...that the whole reason to go front steer and rack on this project...if needed pm me or post away here please....im looking all the help i can get on this subject so i can begain to buy and work on the car in the next few weeks...been letting the car sit to long now if i plan to race this thing i need to start work on it..thanks mike

also if you have any pics please share those if you dont mind..:cheers:

Cut up the k-frame similar to this?? Might want to contact Bob Shingler, pretty sure he has a rack in his car.....

Attachments

• 100_0119.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 809
hey thanks injunkie bob is going to help me do the install and build the stroker motor lol ....his car is just bad azz pics dont do it any just should see it in person...maybe he'll chime in here and say hello :prayer:...im ready to pull the car into the shop and start work on it just got to get the dart out now put the 8 3/4 in it last week ......:glasses7:

also on the kframe if i can get it done i plan to box the sides in after the middle is cut out and put in some round tube kinda like bondo bob and johne holt do theres maybe not as nice lookin lol since im new to this stuff..mike

i see the clowns comin out ..can we keep the post on topic here????i mean if you dont have any input or help why even open the post oh i get to get your post count up..keep it movin...any help would be great tshell thank mike

i dont think his talkin about the post its the other junk that gets post of topic that his is talkin about...:violent1:

please use periods & paragraphs.

"..." is a pause, but not a period. So your posts do not read well.

I'm completely lost on what you're saying. Also pictures help.

first off teacher use this:butthead: and no not all this for a dragster oil pan......this is going to be a full race car roll cage, ladder bar#-o...i guess if i ask for help on whats for supper i could have hit 10000 by now good god man go from jokers to teachers ...:violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1:

I know you are NOT interested in other products, but the latest MopMusc showed install of a C#AP system with front rack. Used a welded on extension on spindle, and the guys doing it fabbed a brace to support the coilover. Maybe something to look at for ideas?

Grant

I have been pulling my hair out recently while trying to build a tubular K frame for myself. I have found that the steering arm is the key. Mopars have a steering arm cast into the lower ball joint. This ball joint unbolts from the spindle. There is no need or want to swap the spindles side to side. I cut the arm off the lower ball joint and had a arm made to bolt onto the existing bolts in the lower part of the spindle (LBJ bolts). This arm is significantly shorter and turns out toward the wheel effectively putting the attachment point for the outer tie rod outside the lower ball joint pivot. This is pretty much the only way to correct some of the steering issues. Bumpsteer, is when the tie rod and the lower control arm vary in length from each other. They (the lower control arm and tie rod assembly) need to parrallel and the same length. I hope this helps. I am by no means an engineer and I have been working on this on my own. Seems K frame talk here is pretty heated and that is why your getting some clown comments.

Attachments

• DSC04329.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 702
  • DSC04330.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 705
  • DSC04331.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 707
hey turbodart that looks great keep me posted on your progress and pics if you dont mind...as far as the clown i think its just that some will try and some just dont want to do anything and love to get off topic for kicks...oh i forgot i need to use .......................................i wounder is that enough for a A in class thanks to all that is trying ,and given good info...mike

-
Back