those that have builded a frontend?????

-
hey blown71 thanks :prayer:for the link to welderseris i called and talk to the guy today.. he asked me to send some pics out to him so he can get a feel for what us mopar guys are doing...really great guy to talk to and willing to help out if he can...he said he may not have the parts that is needed to do this job but would love to see and who knows maybe he'll come aboard on the mopar side of things with some stuff thats not gonna make you sell a kid for a frontend...so thanks ..
also i have a few guys that are helping and willing to share what they know on this...so whatever i learn i'll share and hope that we can make a nice frontend for the duster project.....:prayer: im out:burnout:

I would think you could adapt their lower frame (welderseries ,you can actually just buy the lower frame) with the mounting points for the lower control arms and rack , and then maybe use the stock upper arm mounting points with an adjustable control arm.

spc sells one they are expensive:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=spc+...art=0&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0&tx=128&ty=67

You could make the same setup yourself, its just looks like circle track pieces to me with different rod ends, which you can buy through spc through summit

http://www.daymotorsports.com/product/499/ADJUSTABLE-UPPER-CONTROL-ARM

They use mopar screw in ball joints , which is what the mustang II uses also.
you can buy the pieces to make that upper control arm pretty cheap.
You would have to weld in mounts for the coilovers also.

hey blown you have alot of good links and stuff...have you done a frontend before????mike

if you go to... www.heidts.com ...they are a suspension co for street rods..ect.

read the basics on front end design/geometry ( a couple of pages ) at the front of their catalog....

its a good place to start

good luck...because you're in for an education

if you go to... www.heidts.com ...they are a suspension co for street rods..ect.

read the basics on front end design/geometry ( a couple of pages ) at the front of their catalog....

its a good place to start

good luck...because you're in for an education

I was wondering when you would pipe up... IMHO good advice

hey blown you have alot of good links and stuff...have you done a frontend before????mike

No , but I am like you just looking to put something together on the cheap.
Trying to make room for a 6.1 hemi with power steering.

hey thanks hemidenny be lookin for some ????? if you dont mind....mike

no problem earthmover......but didn't I see this movie about a year and a half ago?

if I remember correctly...there was a couple of fellers on this very forum discussion gonna build/sell some inexpensive K's to members...one already had a dandy proto-type going very fast in a drag car...and was working to try to adapt it to make it...lets say..more street friendly......

wonder what ever happened with that project?

24.jpg

So is this a pinto/mustang II based front end ?
I saw that the 60" heidts crossmember can fit up to 33.5 outside frames, which is A-body mopar. Looks like you could do away with the center and remount the rack with a forward style mount location , just keep mounting dimensions the same.

no problem earthmover......but didn't I see this movie about a year and a half ago?

if I remember correctly...there was a couple of fellers on this very forum discussion gonna build/sell some inexpensive K's to members...one already had a dandy proto-type going very fast in a drag car...and was working to try to adapt it to make it...lets say..more street friendly......

wonder what ever happened with that project?

Hi Denny, didn't you know someone who makes custom K frames or was it you that made on for yourself. I seem to remember one in one of your builds. I cant find it now. :banghead: I dont want to get involved in the other drama rolling around on other k frame threads, I just want a light weight k frame with a rack and pinion. The reason for making one for myself is to keep my torsion bars.

Here is a more affordable option I just stumbled on from Martz Chassis. It's a "weld-in" cross-member and includes everything to get back on the road including brakes for $3050. Does not include a sway bar, not sure about motor mounts. I've read good things about guys that have put Martz stuff in Novas.

http://www.martzchassis.net/chryslerabody

Installation:
http://www.martzchassis.net/abodyfrontinstall.html

I just read through the installation. No motor mounts included, but the kit seems complete to help you with the install.

I wholeheartedly agree with toolmanmike.......

yes ....I do make a few for Hemi/Abody installs...thats mine pictured above (blown71duster) I built for my current Duster with the front wheelbase moved forward 1"...and it is based off the MustangII IFS....with some special mods to fit my Duster..

I think hands down.... RMS has the best piece on the market for the application he has designed and engineered it for

mine is puposely built for a 426 style Hemi to fits under a stock flat hood WITH the stock round or oval Hemi air cleaner...also I have built some that use the stock automatic column shift, 4-speed,4-speed w/gear vendor overdrive, Keisler 5 speed and lets not forget the A/C...factory and Classic Air

ALL with NO inner fender modifictions or cutting/welding

turbodart68...have you looked at CAP products?.....I'm pretty sure they make a dandy tubular (lightweight) that incorporats your torsion bars and stock steering pieces....

:wack:
but there is no bump steer and has went to 146mph so far.

Attachments

• older Pictures 246.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 772
  • older Pictures 250.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 801
  • older Pictures 249.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 919
  • older Pictures 256.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 774
  • older Pictures 273.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 779
hey bob glad you got to see the page.sorry i missed your call last night...im out in south carolina right now and will call you either later on today or tomm. buddy.....i hope your ready to start work on the duster......
i thank all that has posted info and i hope that all that has useful info keep posting it,cause this is going to happen..my idea is to see what works,ans has been use,and done,and roll from there and there is alot of info here so thanks to all my fabo brothers and keep the tech coming guys mike:burnout:

Bob...looks like you got a handle on it...

I couldn't tell from the (underside) pics....do you re-enforce the shock towers for the coilovers?

:coffee2:
i didnt' see the need to do that seeing how i was only going a 1/8 to 1/4 mile at a time and having the inner fenders still there helps too. i haven't had the hotrod to the track in a little over two years but i will keep an eye on them to see how they hold up. i should have it back on the strip in a few weeks. they are pretty stout, but i wouldn't go without bracing them if the hotrod was on the street.
doing this for the strip is alot easier that trying to figure all the stuff out to make it right for the street. it's a pinto rack, just get it up as even as you can with the lower control arm pivot point. it's easier also if you remove the stock disc brakes and make that steering arm. i went to wilwood discs. damn things don't stop near as good as the stock stuff. as you can see it was spliced to lenghten it after i got the bump steer out of it, which took forever to do. get one of them toe gauges from harbor freight to make it easier for yourself. with the coil-overs there isn't as much extension so you don't have to cover as large an area with the bump steer. it still took amost two weeks of messing with it.
of course if any one of you need to know the poop on the steering arm i'd be glad to pass them on to you. just not now because the hotrod is outside covered up in the grass as i have the garage filled with the motor, parts and three trannys.

just wondered......

please think about it.... what if one even slightly fails/collapses at 145MPH?

we need all our Mopar brothers ya know...

Mopar to ya'
Denny

turbodart68...have you looked at CAP products?.....I'm pretty sure they make a dandy tubular (lightweight) that incorporats your torsion bars and stock steering pieces....

Thanks Denny, I actually bought a magnum force front end at one point and its Geometry was absolutely horrible with almost an inch of bumpsteer. So I sold it and thought about the CAP stuff with a rack and torsion bar mounts but after seeing that control arm that broke and the K frame that cracked and then didn't fit, I think I will pass. Your K frames look the best I have seen yet. I do like my 9 inches of travel in my stock front end and like the torsion bar since the load is carried back at the T bar crossmember. I need the travel for traction since my Swinger is a a very small tired car (275s) and has run deep into the tens already and I am shooting for some 9 second passes with it.

Bob, your steering arms are unique, I have never seen a set like that before. It actually looks like your steering works well. I do have one question though, have you had it on an alignment rack and taken degree readings when the wheels go from lock to lock? The factory set up from Mopar has the inside wheel turning 2 degrees more than the outside wheel. This helps with turning radius. I am just curious. Thanks for all the info guys.

my advice/suggestion is simple.....keep your stock K and your $$$ unless you really need the room for the motor...like a Hemi install.....

there are several aftermarket items that can enhance the stock K if you really want to spend your cash....

Bob, your steering arms are unique, I have never seen a set like that before. It actually looks like your steering works well. I do have one question though, have you had it on an alignment rack and taken degree readings when the wheels go from lock to lock? The factory set up from Mopar has the inside wheel turning 2 degrees more than the outside wheel. This helps with turning radius. I am just curious. Thanks for all the info guys.

thanks for the comment. i had an excellent alignment before the rack thing and i was more concerned with the bump problem. it does turn easy with no problem also. remember i did this just to go straight and stay straight. don't forget that i have the inner fenders still in the hotrod so the shock mount won't go far before i notice it. yes i would like to stay with you guys and will watch it closely.:tard:

my advice/suggestion is simple.....keep your stock K and your $$$ unless you really need the room for the motor...like a Hemi install.....

there are several aftermarket items that can enhance the stock K if you really want to spend your cash....

I think this is great advice. Do it only if you need the room or like Bob, wanting to go faster in a straight line. MaMopar's front suspension is a great design in my opinion.....

-
Back