Thoughts about Dodge Dakota trucks

-

Slick

Reaction score
Hey guys I know this isn't an A-body but I thought I would pick your brains about a 2000 Dodge Dakota I'm thinking about buying. It is a 2WD 5spd. V6 with about 60000 miles. It looks well cared for and the price seems decent.

I do not know much about these trucks and was wondering if any Dakota owners might share their experiences.

Thanks.

I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 2WD Auto 4.7 Lt engine.So far no problems,knock on wood.Lots of get up and go.I like it.

I really like them. I have owned a couple of them. I traded in my 01 Dakota 2wd 3.9 I beat the snot out of that truck and it just took it. When I traded it in it had 160K and the only thing I did to it was a power steering pump and water pump. Did you know that the 3.9 is just a 318 without the last two cylinders. Tough little motors.
I am currently driving a 02 Dakota Club Cab 4.7 4X4 and I love it. Plenty of power and drives nice.

Good to hear a couple positives. I've been reading some reviews and comments from owners and they make them sound terrible!

Doesn't really give you that warm fuzzy feeling....

like any car/truck if used hard with no care look out but the most i've seen was ball joints and rusted off manifold bolts/if it is a northen truck have to friends with them and they both use them for work truck and are still going . als

I bought mine last summer. I like it! 2000,3.9,auto,2wd. 20mpg. hwy. I've made a couple trips across the state and it is comfortable and quiet.
Mike

147.jpg

100_4808.jpg

Ive owned a 89 Shelby Dakota since new. I guess that means I like it. For me its the right size and with a few mods they run good. Not many problems.
Its like a A body truck.

Wife has a 94 with 230,000. i've changed water pump, fuel pump and starter. great truck and still has original clutch.

98 Dakota R/T with 157k miles.

360 with tons of low end torque which is great for towing.

3.92 rear which enhances the torque.

Sits low so you don't have to climb in and fall out.

The only thing I have had to fix are the ball joints.

P9152019-1.jpg

I put about 60,000 of the 140,000 on my '90 3.9, then my daughter trashed it when I loaned it to her for about a year. Loved it, and want another one a little newer.
It never had any major work, other than the OD trans went out at about 90k. Of course hauling around a very heavy car trailer with 440 powered 67 R/T might have had something to do with that.

Over the years I hav3e owned 3 Dakotas. The 1990 Dakota Sport with the 3.9 v6 4x4 was a awesome little Truck. The 1993 Dakota extra cab 4x4 with the v8 was a nightmare... fun to drive... when it drove. The 2003 Dodge Dakota 4x4 quad cab with the 4.7 was a great truck. They all have there issues, but overall a great sized pickup and I can tell you this. There are still a lot of people driving them.

-RPM

My wife has a 2001 3.9 auto 4x4 with 110,000 on it. Runs and drives like new. All of the people that I talked to that had problems with them should have bought a 3/4 ton truck.

My sister has a 2003 238ci (3.9L) V6 auto 2wd Dakota as her daily driver. It has had virtually no problems since she bought it new. It hauls everything we can throw in the back of it without question. However a few years ago she rear-ended a guy who was trying to commit insurance fraud, sister in wrong place at wrong time, and the engine never got oil to the cylinder heads after that. Needless to say the engine was replaced about 8 months after the accident, just bought a remanufactured one from Mopar. Since then the truck seems to have no bottom end unless you stomp on the gas from a stop.
Other than that, the truck is great, and as with all cars/trucks, you take care of it, it'll take care of you. Most people who post those reviews don't even know how to check tire pressure.

as far as dakots i had a 90 model that has well over 400K miles on it now and no motor work, my 94 was 5.2 and I LOVED It but went to full size truck as far as 4.7s the one in my family has 225k on it now and still running strong I always want a RT dak but that aint gonna fly round here

I have had mine a short time and so far it has been just great. It's a '03 3.9 V6 4X4 quad cab with over 125,000 miles. No leaks drip or burning of oil, it runs excellent.
20 MPG Hwy., 13-ish around town.

100_0727.jpg

Rumble got new tires!
Mine is an 02 2wd, with the v8, and about 75 k. It's been a good little truck. It is easy to maintain, and parts are cheap.

Bought a new 3.9 in 92', and drove it for forteen years. Had a few problems with it but overall it served me well. Still had the original battery in it at 180,000 when I sold it!

OH yea, itws a bargining chip in the trucks price. Leagaly, the tires were good. I told him theres no flipin way I'd walk of tihs lot without brand spankin new tires for what your askin. Take the price of the tires off and ........and the bargining started from there.

1993 4x4 318 auto with 31.11.50 tire stock lift 90-93 daks are my fav

Picture 076.jpg

Picture 080.jpg

Picture 077.jpg

I have had mine a short time and so far it has been just great. It's a '03 3.9 V6 4X4 quad cab with over 125,000 miles. No leaks drip or burning of oil, it runs excellent.
20 MPG Hwy., 13-ish around town.
my next dak will be alot like this 1 alota door and 4x4 with 318-360

My son's '98 and my '99 that I bought new. A few agrevating problems with mine but it has been a good truck overall. My son got his when he turned 16, 6 years ago and it has been a great truck for him.
Both are V6 autos, identically equiped. The '98 has twice the balls my '99 has. Every time I drive his I can't believe how much more get up and go his has...
C

dcp_0490.jpg

COME ON YOU GUYS. YOU GUYS HAVE TO BE LYING! ALL I HAVE READ LATLEY IS THAT THESES DODGES WERE JUNK, GO BUY A TOYOTA!

All kidding aside, my boys first truck was a 1998 ext. cab Dakota 5.2 V8, auto.
It had a 100k on it. The only problem I had was keeping rear tires on it, with the surgrip, it was a burnout king. This truck would run 15.80's all day long. I even loaned it to my rich sister in-law to move something, she had no room in the infinity. She commented that it was a really nice truck for having 27k on it. She couldn't believe it when I told her it had a 127k on it. They buy new cars every 15k. The only downside was the fuel milage (14mpg). He drove it for two years & i sold it to another youth, who made it U-shaped, with the help of a telphone pole. He was still driving it. My kid put 30k on it, mostley to the floor, no problems at all.

-
Back