Throttle cable not opening carb fully

-

tayres1

Reaction score
I purchased a Duster that was upgraded from a /6 to a 318 with some tricks. I put on a 650 Holley carb. and a Allstar Adjustable Throttle Bracket. I find that the carb when I have press the pedal to the floor the carb only opens about 1/3 to 1/2. I have no slack in the throttle cable. It's like I do not have enough pedal to get the carb all the way open. I could use some help to get the performance out of the 318.

AND... while I'm asking ... I have a 400 bareblock and I'm thinking of turning it into a stroker, need to find a 440 crank milled to fit. This will be my first 400 stroker, any ideas.

change the location of where the cable attaches to the carburetor. If cable attachment is too far away from the throttle shaft, the ratio of pedal travel to carburetor opening will not be equal. [closer to the shaft, faster ratio, more opening travel] Its worth a try!

Do you have this throttle adapter on the carb now? You need it to give proper throttle and kickdown geometry

attachment.php

attachment.php

Seen this issue several times before. The throttle cables are different. Correct V8 cable may be all you need.

The V8 cable has quite a bit more wire sticking out of the sheath. When you install it the pedal will move higher under your foot,giving more throttle opening. The adapter piece is still required. The v8 cable anchor puts everything in the proper relationship to make installation simple.
If you have an automatic, reset the KD mech as required.
Try to synchronize the carb WOT with the pedal max travel where it stops, so that you do not overstress the carb and bend stuff. Or a block under the pedal will work. I just rebend the pedal carrier-rod, as req'd.

yep, the correct cable is much shorter in sheathe and overall length too.

yep, the correct cable is much shorter in sheathe and overall length too.

Where is the best place to get or order one from? Also, when you say the correct cable, you are referring to the V8 cable....should I also look at the extension?

Where is the best place to get or order one from? Also, when you say the correct cable, you are referring to the V8 cable....should I also look at the extension?

I cant answer every question. I can tell you there is a difference in carb location and operation for the slant and V8. With factory correct intake, carb, throttle bracket, and cable,,, good to go.
Aftermarket intakes and carbs may require more or different pieces in addition to those correct factory V8 parts.

I've had no issues with the travel on slant 6 cables. Still using the one that came on the 68 Dart. They are sometimes awkward to route because of the extra length and may wear prematurely. I have had cables that were frayed under the shield causing the travel to be shorter than required.

-
Back