Throttle on a 63 Dart 170

-

complicated678

Reaction score
I just bought this car and the gas pedal doesn't act right. It feels as if it sticks. I looked at the throttle cable and it seems to be routed oddly and the lever that the throttle cable hooks to just inside the engine compartment isn't supported by anything. Does anyone who has this same car have any pics of what this is supposed to look like? This would be a great help.

DSCF3816.JPG

DSCF3815.JPG

I just bought this car and the gas pedal doesn't act right. It feels as if it sticks. I looked at the throttle cable and it seems to be routed oddly and the lever that the throttle cable hooks to just inside the engine compartment isn't supported by anything. Does anyone who has this same car have any pics of what this is supposed to look like? This would be a great help.
Is your car a pushbutton AT car? If so, I don't see a kickdown cable. I also don't see a return spring at the carburetor.

I have pix of a 73 AT car. Substitute your exhaust manifold for the spacers I have under the carburetor

IMG_5676s.JPG

Your throttle has been hacked. Your throttle is supposed to be a twist linkage. Yours has been cut and semi converted to cable. Most likely your cable doesn't have the correct geometry to work correctly.

Your throttle has been hacked. Your throttle is supposed to be a twist linkage. Yours has been cut and semi converted to cable. Most likely your cable doesn't have the correct geometry to work correctly.

I second that

Your car has twin Lokar cables. As suggested before its been hacked for some unknown reason.
I would look at giving the length a look see also might disconnect and see if the cable is binding. If it is it can be lubed.
Frank

Hey Frank, isn't that an aluminum super 6 intake on this thing? Looks like it was converted without supporting the rod at the firewall which would put the assembly in a bind. When I did the super 6 conversion on my 63 Valiant I used all of the throttle assy including the gas pedal from the donor vehicle and made a plate for the cable at the firewall.

Brian

Brian
That is Indeed an Aluminum Super six manifold. I too would go ahead an convert to a cable operated gas pedal.
Frank

On my 66 Dart,I swapped gas peddles and went with a 72 Duster peddle and throttle cable.Glad I did,then went with a V8.Make sure you have a kickdown and return spring for the tranny.

Brian
That is Indeed an Aluminum Super six manifold. I too would go ahead an convert to a cable operated gas pedal.
Frank

Don't think so. It does look like a "welded" type aluminum manifold, but I think it is a 1 bbl carb. Look at the throttle shaft (can't see the whole carb). The shaft goes from front to back. The 2 bbl carb has the shaft running cross ways.
If it is a 1bbl, he can use the early carb and stock (non cut) linkage, or stay with the carb on there and convert to the later cable style pedal and cable. He can leave the trans kickdown as it is, if he changes to the correct rod linkage. If changing to the cable linkage the kickdown will have to be changed.

Yep, recognized the aluminum manifold, missed the 1bbl! Hey, guess that gives him a chance to upgrade to a Super6! Find a donor car and get it all! (Or you could convert it to a 2X2 offy!) #-o

-
Back