Time for new engine in 72 Swinger - What Would You Do?

-

Ratsass

Reaction score
Threw a rod over the weekend, engine is a goner.:banghead: (yep, coolant and oil are mixed, the whole 9 yards). Am mostly done crying now, time to decide what's next. What I'm left with is a sweet ride valued at maybe $15k-$16k in today's market - before the blowout of course. I had been planning to put it up for sale next month (Murphy's Law, yep). I still need the $ so need to get back out of it what I can. Some facts:
- Car is new to me in last year from a trade I did - I have probably only put 1000 mi on it.
- 45k actual miles on body and interior -- really nice original interior and top, super clean body, fresh paint, shiny crome.
- Prior owner did a nice restomod performance build - is (was) a 360 stroker, 727, Auburn posi rear, disc brakes, air shocks, trans cooler, pypes exhaust, sway bars, etc., etc.
- I'm know a lot more about 60s-70s motorcycles than I do about cars - new to Mopar.

What would you do in my shoes, given I'm still going to need to sell? Would you spend $5k (I can't go more than that unfortunately) on a new crate motor (and if so, recommendations?)? Or find a shop to do a fresh $5k build? Or try to sell it as a really nice "roller."?

Thanks for your advice. Here's a shot of the Dart:

Attachments

• Dart360.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 334
Well, how about a craigslist engine close to you that you can hear run, them clean it up and install it??

if you spend $5K on it and only get $15K your still loosing money, I'd find a good running 360, put new bearings and gaskets in it, and put it in with a new coat of paint on the engine and sell it

What I'm left with is a sweet ride valued at maybe $15k-$16k in today's market

we talking about the car in your sig pic? sounds kinda like wishful thinking at 15K.

what i would do is find a nice running stock motor, throw it in and sell the car. anything from a 318-360 would do..

360 stroker went boom

those cost a tad more than a regular 360 rebuild...

i'd get it to a machine shop and see if the crank is ok, etc.

how many miles were on the engine?

p.s. i wouldnt call it "Murphy's Law" i'd call it karma... after comparing these two statements:
" I had been planning to put it up for sale "
" Threw a rod over the weekend, engine is a goner.:banghead: (yep, coolant and oil are mixed, the whole 9 yards). "

Find a low mileage 360 Magnum engine at a local scrap yard for about $600.00 bucks...make necessary modifications (heads,oil pan etc), drop it in and drive it. That's the route I'm taking.

http://www.magnumswap.com/

we talking about the car in your sig pic? sounds kinda like wishful thinking at 15K.

what i would do is find a nice running stock motor, throw it in and sell the car. anything from a 318-360 would do..

x2
Stock engine, paint, 4bbl & headers, and sell it.

5.9 magnum , carb conversion,,stock ,weak cam, already 320 hp and more than 400 ft-pd of torque ,very cheap built $$$$$

...OR : 400 + hp and 440 TQ with good cam and 600' lift valve springs, dual plane intake ,750 cfm carb and less than 2000 $

shoot for 5 grand, you could find a new hemi motor from a junkyard, they go for about 4500 bucks,

however, I agree with above, find you a good 360 and drop in, probably do it for less than 1000

Thanks for all the input. I'm gonna start looking around for a local 340 or 360 (I'll start with the craigslist link from DWIRE67 - thanks man) and try to keep my cost way under the $5k mark.

not much diff , compared to the cost of a 400 hp 5.9 motor ( carbed ) and a 5.7 hemi , doesnt take much for the 5.9 to be Superior than a stock 5.7 , even a 6.1 or 6.4 , comparing the cost of new radiator and xv intake , and wiring for the Gen3 hemis ... for less than 2-3 k and you have a 450 hp motor with the 5.9 , for 5 000 $ youre sratching the 500 hp and 500 ft pds of torque easy , and on 87 octane !

ps: im not a huge fan of the 5.7 hemi , but of course they are good engines , but a lot of people forgets about the 5.9s

He's trying to sell the car. Why stick a $5k hemi conversion in it?!? It doesn't matter to him if he has 500 or 300 hp. Stick a used LA motor in it and say goodbye.

I would find a good running 318-360 from Craigslist clean it up and install.I have a rebuilt 318 I may sell.

I'm in Georgia and will build you something very reasonably.

awwwww, yer screwed buddy. Without that motor, the car's worthless. Being the humanitarian that I am, I'd be willing to come trailer it off to the junkyard for you. You'd have to make out a bill of sale though, you know, in case the cops wanted to see if i was stealing scrap metal. I wouldn't even charge you for the gas because I know you are distraught. But remember, you'd owe me somewhere down the line.:D:burnout:

that's a nice dart, you could find a runnin 318,360 at very reasonable price. or a 340 see them all the time.

Yep, find a good cheap verified good engine, pop it in there to make it a running driving car again, and include the grenaded engine with the sale, because the next guy/gal may want to fix it and put it back in. Definitely not worth a Hemi swap or anything crazy like that. Don't get more behind the 8-ball than you already are.

-
Back