Tire and wheel sizes IDEAS??

-

JoseyWales

Reaction score
Its nearly time for wheels and tires for my 65 Dart, and I cant decide on which wheels to go with. I really like the Torque thrust Ds in a 15x7, but was also looking at some with sort of a modern twist same style but gunmetal gray in a 17x8 rim. Any suggestions or maybe some pics of what you all are running and what sizes. I would really appreciate some ideas.
Thanks

I feel your pain! I've been trying to decide on wheels for over two years now. Nothing makes a bigger statement about your car than a nice set of wheels and tires. The wrong ones can ruin the looks of an awesome car.

Along those lines, I have been thinking about the Torque Thrust II's with the painted spokes...
are-cl205_w.jpg

I want classic style, with a modern look. Also has to be able to show off the four wheel discs!! These wheels are a modern twist on the same theme, and are the same price as the wheel above.
cll-7215401545_w.jpg

I am using 14x5.5 steel wheels, 205/70/r14 tires, and 14" wheel covers.

DSCN2307Medium.JPG

Here's what's going on my '69 Dart. Modern version of classic 5-slot wheel, plus they're forged so very strong and lightweight.

CenterlineNomad.jpg

..since there really are not any great tires for the 14 and 15 inch wheel size, you really are forced into the 17' rim..Brian's first rim is a knock off bullet rim..oddly enough..most mustang rims will fit the the lbp on the mopar..I am like Brian..kinda doing circles..but the '07 gt rims up against the Duster and they don't look bad even though I didn't like them on the 'gt...I have another 6 months to decide :)

These are the wheels I am using, my car is going to be blacked out and the center caps will be the only shiny spot on my car.

crager wheel.jpg

Heres mine american racing torq thrust 17x8 rear and 17x7 s front 255/45 rear 235/45 front

petes car 009.jpg

..since there really are not any great tires for the 14 and 15 inch wheel size, you really are forced into the 17' rim..

i beg to differ...what about some Mickey Thompson Indy Profile's??? Classic musclecar looks and plenty of sizes for 14 and 15 inch wheels. Also Coker has just about every classic era-correct tire, and even modern tires based on the classic looks, like redline radials and such. There are more than enough good tires out there that don't compromise our vehicles' classic looks. The money saved by not having to go to 17" wheels (which look horrible, IMO) can go towards the higher prices of the repro tires.
-Tim

Thanks for the pics, keep them coming. Picking the right wheel is so far the hardest part of my project. I think everyone agrees that with the wrong wheel and tire combo it will just ruin the look of the car. I am leaning more to the 17s but now cant decide if I want the polished or the gunmetal grey with polished lip. I also really like the modernized version of the 5 hole slots that alot of companies are producing.

Powder coated,14" small bolt,Mopar steel wheels.
205/70-14 BFG's.
1965 Dart Conv.

Picture 695.jpg

Optic,

That is great..can you send me a link for a 300/50 -14 or something very similar..radial of course..I cannot find them when I have been doing my searches.. I think the largest we have been able to find is a 255 or a 245..my memory is fuzzy at which size..and since I have learned that old NOS isn't safe, it would have to be a new tire.

In fact, I know a lot of folks would like to know.

Thanks !!!
Grassy

Nothing bigger than 15", nothing 'modern,' it may look good to you now, but in a few years it might look cheesy. You'll never go wrong with a classic style like torque-thrusts, slots, or steelies. My opinion.

Tire sizes are getting more and more limited in the 14 and 15 inch sizes. I found the 15" tires I plan on using fairly easy. The price difference between a 15" wheel and a 17" wheel is double on the Centerline wheel above.

Goldfish, I cannot agree with you more..we have a beautiful , original set of rallys..actually, from what I have translated on out fender tag..I am not sure that these rims were original ..we have at least one number on the tag that we cannot figure out..so it is possible that they may have been installed afterwords.

Anyway, they are on our car..and we like them..but, cannot find the right tire size however, OPTIK says he has a lead on them and he will post links. I don't want to spend moneys on changing something that I like..

If not, we will go with a 295/50-55/17 or similar.

Grassy

Optic,

That is great..can you send me a link for a 300/50 -14 or something very similar..radial of course..I cannot find them when I have been doing my searches.. I think the largest we have been able to find is a 255 or a 245..my memory is fuzzy at which size..and since I have learned that old NOS isn't safe, it would have to be a new tire.

In fact, I know a lot of folks would like to know.

Thanks !!!
Grassy

the largest 14" size that has been made in recent years is 245/60/14 and I don't think anyone is making those anymore, I called every tire dealer in the cincinnati area and got the last two available, and that was a couple years ago. Check out www.tirerack.com or www.cokertire.com for many tire choices. The width is the limiting factor although I think that BFG is still making 295/50/15's????
-Tim

Optik,

Thanks. 14 inch is a wash out but if you go with a BFG TA 15, you can go 295... I have 14s and 17s. rims..will start looking for a set of rally, Cragar, etc 15s , sbp...

the tire rack is an excellent place..you can also get a utility that will show you if your new tire / rims will throw your speed out..used them a lot when I bought my tires for the 'stang.

Thanks for the research !! it is appreciated !

ian.

simple math will tell you how much of a speedo correction you need. find the percentage difference between the diameter of your original tire/wheel and your new one and that is the percentage that your speedo will be off by.
you can also call brewer's and tell them what tire size, rear end gear, and final drive you have and they can figure out what speedo gear you need to correct the speedo.
-Tim

My brains are getting old and tired..

This link will allow you to physically see you new against your old tire...sidewall or profile.. and tell you how far off your speedo is going to be ..in std / metric and in mph / kms..

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Ian.

The more I think about it, I keep coming back to the Torque Thrust Ds or Salt flats with satin rims and grey centers. Probably 15x7 or 14x6 with a 235-60-15 or 235-60-14. Any one running this size wheel or tire combo? Will these fit without problems? I want to run the same size all around so I can rotate them. Right now I am running 14" skinnies with dog dishes. I also thought about cop wheels with redline dog dishes since I have a nice set. I think my final decision will be from these three choices.

These are the wheels I am using, my car is going to be blacked out and the center caps will be the only shiny spot on my car.

You mean like this?
23995900013_large.jpg

17x8 4.5 backspacing
Front 225/40-17
Rear245-40-17

23995900004_large.jpg

Older pic
17x8 4.75 backspacing (AR TT-IIs)
245/40-17 front and rear

whats the biggest size tire i can fit on my 1965 barracuda with doing a spring relocation kit but with out mini tubs

i would like to do torq thrust 2 wheels 15x10 with 295 50 15 in rear and 15x7 in front

You would have to do a mini-tub w/295. I think a 255/60 will fit with the right offset and/or offset hangers and shackles.

-
Back