Tire size recommendations needed

-

ro23dart

Reaction score
So i need to get new tires on my 72 Demon. It has 14" SBP Rallyes on it and i dont plan on doing anything with the wheels yet, i want to save that for when i do upgraded brakes and such later down the road. I was looking at BFG T/As. It currently has 195/65s on the front and 225/70s on the back but it looks like i would have to go up to 205/70s on the front if i went with the T/As. Any thoughts/comments? I've never really bought tires before, always went with stock sizes and cheap prices on my daily drivers.

20161127_142522-jpg.1714995898.jpg

1972 Duster...205/60/15 fronts, 255/60/15 rears...
check your tire size charts for actual tire heights on your 14" rims...you'll be surprised at the differing heights for 60 and 70 series tires...

View attachment 1715031459
1972 Duster...205/60/15 fronts, 255/60/15 rears...
check your tire size charts for actual tire heights on your 14" rims...you'll be surprised at the differing heights for 60 and 70 series tires...
that is one beautiful black duster you have there. I am in the same boat as you. I have been trying to get a max tire size from the guys on here. they have all been great but have given me so many combinations, that is so hard to make a decision. I have a brand new set of cragar s/s sbp wheels 14x7. just a hard time picking the largest tire I can use on my 68 dart gt.

Don't go over a 60 series on the front.

These are 225/70/14 and 275/60/15 (4-1/4" bs)

received_881279682002415.jpeg

received_863477930449257.jpeg

received_881278282002555.jpeg

This is what fits 235/60-14s on 7s up front with a 3.75bs, and 275/60-15s on 8.5s,with a 4.5bs on the rear.IMO this combo looks right. The fronts spec out at 25.1 tall, and the rears at 28... 15 inch rims do not come with a 4 inch bs; they are special order.
275/50-15s look pretty cool if you push them out right to the body line. They spec at 25.8. You will need about 1.5 inches above them for suspension travel.
You can run anything smaller, as these are about the biggest that fit without mods. As to the fronts;
when you first put them on, slowly drive forward, while cranking in some steering. They like to catch on the lower front corner of the wheel opening,at near full lock,while braking,depending on your ride-height and alignment settings.My 68 Barracuda is quite low, and I had to trim a bit of metal outta there;5 minutes with a snips, and a bit if grinder trimming.

Last edited:
I misquoted the front tires on our black Duster...they are 215/60's...7" wide front rim. Just barely touches the bottom inner fender bolt. Can't remember the backspacing. 255/60's give you a little more flexibility with suspension and travel than the 275's...they are not quite as tall.

So i need to get new tires on my 72 Demon. It has 14" SBP Rallyes on it and i dont plan on doing anything with the wheels yet, i want to save that for when i do upgraded brakes and such later down the road. I was looking at BFG T/As. It currently has 195/65s on the front and 225/70s on the back but it looks like i would have to go up to 205/70s on the front if i went with the T/As. Any thoughts/comments? I've never really bought tires before, always went with stock sizes and cheap prices on my daily drivers.

I will be using P195/75R14 (front) and P215/70R14 (rear) on my 14" X 5 1/2" Rallyes on my Dart GT. Upgraded wheels/tires are not in my budget any time soon.

14x5.5 up front with 205/70R14s
15x8 in the back with 255/60R15

Sorry for the picture quality. It's the only one I could find.

image.jpg

Thanks for all the info! 14 rims that are 5.5 inches wide really limit my choices. I dont want to invest in wheels just yet because i would like to upgrade brakes and bolt pattern in the future, i just want to drive it some this summer. I might call around and see if anyone has any decent used tires just to get me rolling.

E70-14 was the stock size for 340 cars. The modern equivalent is 205/70R14, Why not go with that size all around?
Yeah, the BFGs are very expensive now. But Cooper, Mastercraft, General, Uniroyal, and others offer that size for $75-$100 each.

KnuckleDuster, Do you think I could get away with 225/60/14 for fronts and 275/60/14 on rear of my 68 dart? would it be too close on the rear. I am running ss springs on the rear with coil over shocks. I want the widest stance on the rear as I can possibly get. Really mean looking stance is what I am after BTW, that Duster is awesome looking, about the same color of my car would like to see more photos of yours. PM me if you want to talk more about the cars.

KnuckleDuster, Do you think I could get away with 225/60/14 for fronts and 275/60/14 on rear of my 68 dart? would it be too close on the rear. I am running ss springs on the rear with coil over shocks. I want the widest stance on the rear as I can possibly get. Really mean looking stance is what I am after BTW, that Duster is awesome looking, about the same color of my car would like to see more photos of yours. PM me if you want to talk more about the cars.

IMG_1189.JPG

IMG_1190.JPG

Just got the top on it. I don't think the front set up would work for you you might ask more people on that I got lucky

Actually I'm pretty sure it won't work. I had 15 inch rallies with 225 tires and it was too close

I have 15x6 by 4 inch backspace on front of my dart sport. Rear i got 15x7s by 4.5 backspace. Front tires are 215/65/15 bfgs and rear tires 275/60/15 bfgs. Rear wheels still not out enough for liking. Will go 15x8 by 4.125 or 4 inch backspace to bring them out to inner fender edge. Even if i have to trim excess sheet metal on inside!!:D

I have 225/70/14 on the front, and they rub a fender bolt on the passenger side only. I plan to maybe get 225/60/14 but have to look at the height and width difference first.

Not sure about the 275's on a Dart, but I doubt it. 255 might be as big as you can go. Dusters have more room to the fender lip. Backspace also plays a big role.

I have 225/70/14 on the front, and they rub a fender bolt on the passenger side only. I plan to maybe get 225/60/14 but have to look at the height and width difference first.

Not sure about the 275's on a Dart, but I doubt it. 255 might be as big as you can go. Dusters have more room to the fender lip. Backspace also plays a big role.

On a '68 Dart you will not get anywhere near a 275 in the back with the stock spring locations. Dusters, Demons, Dart Sports and Barracudas all have a full inch more space in the rear wheel wells than the Darts and Scamps do, the quarters on those cars are just wider. To run a 275 on a Dart you need the 1/2" spring hanger/shackle offset (or the alleged 3/4" offset kit from MP that isn't really 3/4").

Some have managed to get a 255 in there, but on a '68 my tendency would be to say a 245 is the biggest you can go unless you plan on doing some work to the quarter lips. The 67-69 cars tend to be a little tighter than the 70+ cars. Not much, but they run on the narrow side of the general body tolerances. People have definitely run 255's on Darts with stock spring locations, but people have also had them rub on those cars as well. You'd have to measure your car to be sure, and of course right height, spring rates, sway bars etc all play a roll in how much clearance you have and need.

-
Back