Tired tires

-

mullinax95

Reaction score
My poor 67 cuda is stored in a shop and I seldom drive it. I used to drive it pretty often but bought a motorcycle and that kind of put cuda on the back burner. Now what happens is the front tires develop flat spots on the tires from what I can gather. So when I drive it the tires will beat me to death. The steering wheel, dash, front of the car shakes. Once I drive it and get the tires hot it goes away some but it never goes away completely. If I hit the interstate and run at those speeds it shakes profusely! The tires have been speed balanced and the front end was rebuilt two years ago with a professional alignment completed afterwords.

What the problem is I think is the front tires are 26x7.25x15 bias ply Micky Thompson Sportsmans. The rear tires are 275/60/15 Bf Goodrich radials. Bad combination I know.

The wheels are 15x3.5 front and 15x8.5 rear Weld ProStar wheels.

So with the shaky front end and the drifting going on I get very unsafe crappy driving experience! I don't even really want to drive it.

So all the work I put into this new front end and in the car turns out to be wasted. I guess you understand what I'm trying to say.

I like the skinny front tires but if I need to do something different far as wheels and tires I will to achieve a nice smooth, good handling car. I don't need to go fast around the corners just want it to stay straight going down the road and not beat me to death.

What are some suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0096.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 357
Nice car,nice shop,nice area, get rid of the motorcycle,buy new tires and drive that beautiful car, it'll make the wife happy not havin to worry when you go ridin. Just my 2 cents.

Nice car,nice shop,nice area, get rid of the motorcycle,buy new tires and drive that beautiful car, it'll make the wife happy not havin to worry when you go ridin. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Sorry I'm not married, no girlfriend and all that kind of crap... just the open road to be my ***** when Im not working.... in which is about 80% of the time. lol

Im hoping next year I will ride up towards Canada on my motorcycle. I'm starting to plan my trip now.

Only sugesstion i have [if you like the look you have] is support the front end on jack stands to not have flat spots. I know it's a PIA but keeps cost down. I understand the motorcycle need your in a beautiful area for riding in the back country roads [i worked contract aircraft maintaince at lockheed in Greenville] and roamed all over that area while i was there looking for cars.

I would get a matching pair of BFG's radials for the front.
Put the car on jack stands when not in use.

Maybe a wider front tire like a 195/75/15 and even if you dont want to drive it at least take it around the block once in a while or let me lol.

Bias tires,
Ditch them, your 40 yrs behind in tire technology.
Any tire will flat spot after sitting for a while.
The bias on my willys are flat spotted after sitting overnight.
Two skinny radial tires for the front will be cheap.

Don't give up your bike good stress reliver.

I would agree to run BFG radial T/A's all the way around. I would also suggest maybe a wider rim up front..15x7 if you want to stay in the 15 in diameter. If you like 17's, which I do very much, (17 and no bigger) I like the classic mustang bullit rim. Are 17's out of the question?

Ok guys thanks

I put the car on "dollies" so I can roll the car around in the shop. I doubt that helps the flat spotting since it is still sitting on the tires. I assume the rear tires do the same thing even though they are radials. I guess I just don't feel it as much since they are on the rear.

Jack stands aren't the most favorite alternative but in order to keep tires from flat spotting I assume that's what needs to done.

I looked on the BF Good website and they have a 195/60/15 in which I'm curious on how well they would do on a 3.5 rim? I would think it would be better on what I have now even on a too narrow of a wheel.

Since I've been having this problem I have thought about 17s but don't really want to spend the money on something I don't use that often. I was thinking that with a better wheel and tire combo like the 17s that car would be a totally different beast. Smooth and agile. Knowing me once I start shopping I will buy a more expensive wheel than what I need. lol

Minimum rim recommendation on the 195/60 is a 5" wheel.
Maybe find your wheel in a 5.5".
Or even find a skinny radial that will fit your existing rim.
Bias ply tires are great for nostalgia,but you put a radial up front and it will
be much nicer to drive.

i have a set of skinny wheels wit a VW bug tire on it. its even a radial. car drives great with them on it. think they are a 165/r15

used to be able to get them at pep boys for like $35 each. think they are hard to find but are out there,, probably solve your problem.

You don't have to drive it. You don't even need to start it. Just move it a couple of feet every now and then. You will have to determine the interval by trial and error. My tires don't get flat spots. I park it on crooked ground.

When I put a car up for winter or just storage, I put it on jack stands and drop the air pressure on the tires to just 20 pounds. Less stress on the tire and won't leave flat spots. In your case I'd put it in a corner and call it good.

Minimum rim recommendation on the 195/60 is a 5" wheel.
Maybe find your wheel in a 5.5".
Or even find a skinny radial that will fit your existing rim.
Bias ply tires are great for nostalgia,but you put a radial up front and it will
be much nicer to drive.

Yeah I saw that..... not good.

i have a set of skinny wheels wit a VW bug tire on it. its even a radial. car drives great with them on it. think they are a 165/r15

used to be able to get them at pep boys for like $35 each. think they are hard to find but are out there,, probably solve your problem.

Oh yeah I didn't think about that. My bosses son has VWs. He might know where to get some tires.

Trying to avoid buying wider front wheels.

there's the skinny lil things... i still use one as a spare..:)

mikes__7-15-06_022.jpg

DSC09363.JPG

Yeah, my BFGs are flat spotted real bad. I am getting ready to put a new set on mine and get a good alignment. They have just had a recent run of BFGs (many were backordered) so you should be able to get a fairly new tire no matter the size you decide to go.

I would put a 215 or 225/60 15 on the car , it would ride and handle a lot better . I was never crazy about the skinny tire out front drag racer look , handling was compromised .
Great looking car , you should be driving it every chance you get .

Guess you could always put a 15x5 Prostar on it with a 195/75/15 radial. I never bought a custom front wheel in my life over 6" wide, i love the big & littles. That would cost some big bucks though. Or i could come upstate and exercise it for you every now and then:D.

Ax, I had the same exact problem with flat spots,and skinnnies.

I had the WV tires like a body joe had but I developed flat spots.

I got the widest tire that they could fit on my rim from NTB tire, and they sold me a set of Fiske radials.
I think they are 225r15 but I will have to check tomorrow and verify that size 100%, but the handling has greatly increased with the wider tire.

They will be able to tell you how wide you can go on your wheel With a tire.

I think I now have a 7.5" tread on mine, but I will check tomorrow.....big difference.

Ax, I had the same exact problem with flat spots,and skinnnies.

I had the WV tires like a body joe had but I developed flat spots.

I got the widest tire that they could fit on my rim from NTB tire, and they sold me a set of Fiske radials.
I think they are 225r15 but I will have to check tomorrow and verify that size 100%, but the handling has greatly increased with the wider tire.

They will be able to tell you how wide you can go on your wheel With a tire.

I think I now have a 7.5" tread on mine, but I will check tomorrow.....big difference.

Thanks

okay AX, I was wayyyy the hell off on my numbers.

I have 205/65/15's on the front.
My tread width is 6.5"' and the sidewall to sidewall measurement is 7.5".

I could have went with a taller tire but I wanted to keep it fairly low profile for better cornering....yeah like these cars were made for cornering....but it don't do too bad with my beefy 1.09 torsion bars.

okay AX, I was wayyyy the hell off on my numbers.

I have 205/65/15's on the front.
My tread width is 6.5"' and the sidewall to sidewall measurement is 7.5".

I could have went with a taller tire but I wanted to keep it fairly low profile for better cornering....yeah like these cars were made for cornering....but it don't do too bad with my beefy 1.09 torsion bars.

Thanks Spaz

I will remember that tire size. I don't care about corning just want to be able to drive the car. lol

It's sad to have all this money tied up in a car and not feel enthusiastic about driving it.

I run MT/radials skinny,s up front with my ProStars,no wooble at 123mph:D
Check Summit,s site under MT tires.

-
Back