**To Cut or Not to Cut**

-

Mad Dart

Nothing to see Here!
Reaction score
Well I picked up the 67 Dart GT yesterday and I would really like to get a FAT TIRE under it and stuff a big block in it. I have tossed around the idea of MINI TUBS but seems like alot of work for not that much tire. I have been thinking I may just go a little further.

The car is an original Slant 6 with a 7 1/4 rear end. All the drive line is going to be taken out within the week. It is already on stands, I just need a half day to do it.

Goal is to keep the Interior as stock as possible and have a HUGE tire under it, with a cage in the back and drivers side bars only. Probably an 8/10 point cage. Possibly a Ford 9" Ladder Bar set up with 33.5/16.5-16's under it. I am going to paint it the same factory color but possibly loose the stainless trim along the front,door and rear fenders. Interior will also be kept Factory along with the console shifter. Tach and guages will be added only.

Goal is to have a 9 sec racecar that is street driven regularly. Don't laugh just yet..............

Question:

1) Can you Tub this car and keep the rear seat?
2) Has anyone done it? If so please post pictures etc!

67DartGT004.jpg

67DartGT005.jpg

67DartGT014.jpg

67DartGT027.jpg

67DartGT004.jpg

67DartGT005.jpg

67DartGT014.jpg

67DartGT027.jpg

Don't think the tire will be wide enough.........

Probably these.......33X21.50-15LT Mickey Thompson Sportsman Pro

Don't think the tire will be wide enough.........

Probably these.......33X21.50-15LT Mickey Thompson Sportsman Pro

If you go that big you won't have a back seat that's forsure.

I have 21.5's and this is what they look like.

Picture 001.jpg

I dont think I would cut that car JMO... It looks solid as a rock and has little to no rust that would in my mind justyfy cutting it.. Check out that interior tooo.. MAn I would drive it like that :D Love the car either direction you go tho its sweet

It has been done. A guy on here had a 9 second dart with far fewer mods than you have planned.

I have some questions and comments……

Have you ever done a build even close to what you plan?

Do you plan on running it at a track? If so you will need to build to meet the rules for a 9 second car.

When you say 9s….. Do you mean 9s at the track or 9s on the street? Big difference here.

"Goal is to have a 9 sec racecar that is street driven regularly." What do you mean by "regularly"? This isn't realistic or practical. Even at it's best a 9 sec car requires constant upkeep, tuning, and deep pockets for the fuel.

Guys that have been around cars know 9s and street driven regularly is as common as winning the lottery.

I have seen many with a plan like this. All have ended with the car being parted or sold.

With paint I would budget at least $30,000. Huge waste of a Dart like you have there (just my opinion).

It would be less work and money to buy a car already set up but without a drivetrain/engine.

I dont think I would cut that car JMO... It looks solid as a rock and has little to no rust that would in my mind justyfy cutting it.. Check out that interior tooo.. MAn I would drive it like that :D Love the car either direction you go tho its sweet

The pictures are really deceiving. Those were taken about 2 years ago when the previous owner bought it. The rear seats are torn by the glass along with the fronts from being wheathered.....So the Upholstery will need to be redone. The engine compartment needs to be cleaned up etc.

If this was an original V8 car I probably would'nt do it. Butttttt

I can't figure out how to get a 30" tall in these 18" tubs, with a narrowed rear, without trimming the front 1/4 panel.

tubs.JPG

It has been done. A guy on here had a 9 second dart with far fewer mods than you have planned.

I have some questions and comments……

Have you ever done a build even close to what you plan?

Do you plan on running it at a track? If so you will need to build to meet the rules for a 9 second car.

When you say 9s….. Do you mean 9s at the track or 9s on the street? Big difference here.

"Goal is to have a 9 sec racecar that is street driven regularly." What do you mean by "regularly"? This isn't realistic or practical. Even at it's best a 9 sec car requires constant upkeep, tuning, and deep pockets for the fuel.

Guys that have been around cars know 9s and street driven regularly is as common as winning the lottery.

I have seen many with a plan like this. All have ended with the car being parted or sold.

With paint I would budget at least $30,000. Huge waste of a Dart like you have there (just my opinion).

It would be less work and money to buy a car already set up but without a drivetrain/engine.

I said don't laugh just yet! Some of you will think I am crazy. I can build just about anything with enough time. I will not be doing the major fabrication. I know a chassis guy who has done several Full Tube Chassis cars in his garage that run in the 8's and are driven on the street on a regular basis. The Chassis gets inspected right there and is CERTIFIED and TAGGED on the spot. I just checked out one he did last weekend BEFORE I purchased this car. YES I count the cost, not my first rodeo.

I know a chassis guy who has done several Full Tube Chassis cars in his garage that run in the 8's and are driven on the street on a regular basis.

This is so much BS. I here this crap all the time. So, what…… He can drive around the block once or twice then he needs to change plugs before he does it again….. All the while getting 2 mpgs.

Good luck on your build.

Didn't mean to offend you........It is the truth........I don't Bullshit like that!

And to each their own right....WHO CARES if he has to change his plugs?? It's his car and $$ The fastest street car in America recently ran in the 7's or 8's and the guy drove it 1400 Miles to the competition and DROVE it home.........

have you measured the back seat in a convertible that's what i used in mine looks like it was made for it........Artie

I personally would not cut that car, there are plenty out there that can be cut.

As far as the back seat, you can fit them in with tubs but probably not with 33's I have 29's and it was tight but I was able to modify the back seat just enough to keep it and have it fold down but it was a lot of work to do it right, I also used the stock tubs which I widened almost 9".

Photo1422.jpg

Photo1419.jpg

That car really needs a nice resto... Find a car that has already been chopped up and do that how you please. Not too many of those GT's around.

to bad your in calf we could make a deal unless your real good at fab work it's a job . not only a lot of welding, sheet metal work , getting it all square to run true . it is not something i would start again an have yet to finish lost interest . really an truly you need to build a fixture to hold it an build at ride height . theres no second guessing that way i did most of mine on jack stands what a pain in the arse ..... ck Art Morison he has alot of info an his web site to help ...... personaly to clean of car to chop up for the first one ..... an that what you do to tub one out .... my idea was to do basicly the same thing .. my wheels i wanted to an did was use rally wheels 15" wide an have the off set to the inside so when you look at the car it look stock till you look from the back ... stockton wheel f that up a set the off set to the out side ....went with center lines 15 x 15 31x18.5 mt shorten 8 3/4 shocks easy spring rate different story 14' springs or 10' spring rate all depends on where an how you mount i figured 125 lbs but went with 150 got a deal at swap meet

That car really needs a nice resto... Find a car that has already been chopped up and do that how you please. Not too many of those GT's around.

It would be a waste of money to do a resto on a 6cyl Dart GT in my opinion.

It will get a V8 regardless of what I do......

At the minimum it will get the 318/402 stroker in it that I am almost done with and a 904 that I have in the garage. 8.75 w/3.91 gears w/ suregrip, the 3rd member is Brand New.

IF I were to MINI TUB it how big a tire will fit?.....I need to get a 8.75 housing and axles so I am not worried about cutting that at all.

This reminds me of a Judas Priest song..Grinder..looking for meat!LOL!I know you have enough cars and dough $$.Cut it up!!8)

I personally would not cut that car, there are plenty out there that can be cut.

As far as the back seat, you can fit them in with tubs but probably not with 33's I have 29's and it was tight but I was able to modify the back seat just enough to keep it and have it fold down but it was a lot of work to do it right, I also used the stock tubs which I widened almost 9".

Photo1422.jpg

Photo1419.jpg

Your car is BEAUTIFUL! Was it a mess before it was tubbed etc??

Well its not common but I know a few guys running nine second cars on the street and even a couple eight second cars.The turbo charged camaro in this video is a local legend becuase the thing is street driven just about everywhere and its been out in the rain.We all got together one night for a good ole fasioned street race and he went fast enough to pull his chute so hes not afraid to drive it.The key is power adders and alot of money,one buudy of mine uses nitrous and another has a supecharger,both are pump gas cars with 30 in. tires and 3.50 gears.Its not as hard to be streetable now with mega cubic inches/power adders that allow you to run pump gas and less gear but it is very expensive!,I say do what you want if you can afford it. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09IUh6qmDpA"]YouTube- Vulcan racing amazing wheel stand[/ame]

-
Back