Torn between 360/408 and 440

-
I went the 440 route,
I REGRET NOTHING!

CC65E0C6-EA25-4866-A49D-671A80F03520.jpeg

This is outside of the box, but I was under the impression that if you put a 440 in an a-body, you will have inference with the heater blower motor? This is hearsay to me so I can't confirm. Just throwing it out there if you still need heat or defrosters.

Hearsay. Depends on the final fitment but with the Schumacher mounts (SB to BB) it clears no problem..... You can also get a short blower motor and that's option 2 if there is interference....

JW

Putting big horsepower in is real easy !

Getting it to hook, - will be your biggest problem .
Smoke hides everything but the timeslip .

Last edited:
Car will be mainly cruising through mountains and side roads. Maybe go to the strip a few times a year just to see what it will run.

if thats all you are doing with it i'd go a very mild 360 with a 2.94 or 3.23 gear and be done with it..

that being said, there is nothing like a big block abody. they are awesome.. but for your intended use i'd go with what i posted above..

Car will be mainly cruising through mountains and side roads. Maybe go to the strip a few times a year just to see what it will run

I usually ask what someone is going to do with their car before I make a recommendation but he was Johnny on the spot and knew exactly what his plans were. This has small block written all over it and would serve him well.

This is outside of the box, but I was under the impression that if you put a 440 in an a-body, you will have inference with the heater blower motor? This is hearsay to me so I can't confirm. Just throwing it out there if you still need heat or defrosters.

nope. i had a 440 in a 64 valiant and a 72 demon with stock blower motor and no issues.. used a moroso valve cover..

64valiant017.jpg

Demon engine.jpg

340/416 stroker 175 shot of nitrous 235@50 rhoads lifters 11 to 1 3000 stall 3.91s 27 inch tall tires gvod 340 exhaust manifolds 318 sticker on the air cleaner
14 city mpg 20 mpg hi-way sounds good

Both combos have pros & cons. If you want maximum performance, cubic inches always wins.

If car handling is important, a lighter/smaller engine wins.

could buy a 408 short block like ATK or Blueprint
It's just as easy to buy a built 400/440, you just have to look beyond factory type rebuilds. (Those Blueprint engines aren't cheap.)

My current Duster came with a 400, so that's what it got, but if I was starting from scratch I'd do a small block.

I admit I am NO racer, I never could afford to build a car and go into the cost of racing knowing ALL racers struggle with the "I want to go faster, and speed costs more $"!
I have had a ton of BB B bodies over the decades and some stock 340, 318 cars. Never had any stroker of any flavor.
I always loved the torque of a good 383 Roadrunner with a stick and 3:55'
I had a 67 Cuda 383 4 speed car once, with a big aftermarket front sway bar. It cornered very well! ONly BB A body I ever had.
I still say, a good running good compression 340 or any big block should be fun enough for most IF it has the right gear and convertor if auto.

Now here's a thought. We all decide we'll never sell our projects...but eventually do.
Would an A body with a warm small block be easier to sell or more desirable than an A body with a big block. And
which would you take the biggest loss on?

Think I’ve been reading around too much. I was dead set on a 440 to go in my slant 6 74 Dart. Even bought one that’s now in my garage, needs a full rebuild. Now after reading around I’m considering the 360/408. Car will be mainly cruising through mountains and side roads. Maybe go to the strip a few times a year just to see what it will run.

360 is appealing because it’s so much easier to get a running motor. I can buy a junkyard engine or confirmed running from Craigslist, could buy a 408 short block like ATK or Blueprint. I already have to do header exhaust radiator mounts trans rear end on top of completely re building a 440.

I guess I’m wondering if anyone has ever gone 440 route and regretted it?

Well what are you leaning towards

I went 440. Definitely wish I did a stout small block and a stick in the car instead.

I'm sure once I get mine ironed out it'll fly going straight but its useless for any kind of turning.

what did you do for springs, torsion bars and sway bars?

Front of the car is still the factory v8 bars that were in it (273 car) tubular uppers, small drop spindle and some calvert front drag shocks.

Rear is split monos and double adjustable viking shocks.

the car is set up for a straight line. no wonder why it sucks in turns..lol

a set of large torsion bars, correct springs, good shocks and some sway bars and you would be surprised as to how well it can do in turns.

Last edited:
I put a 440 in a 74. I did the DC k member conversion detailed by Jim Lusk on the old bigblockdart forum.
I built my own power steering pump bracket and modified a blower motor to fit.

It was great for smoke shows.

Previous to that I ran a 360 that was a exact copy of the little red Express engine. The car was fun but not super impressive.

I've never tried a 408. Never been in the budget.

The only way I'll ever do another RB in an a body is if the Schumacher headers are available again.
The header clearance is the real downfall of an RB in an a body. Everything else is just nuts and bolts.

I would be more inclined to do a 400 over either a 408 or 440. Futs better than the 440 but heads flow better than factory LA or magnum heads.
Easier to fit exhaust on the b engine also.
But I do everything as cheap and budget friendly as possible so aftermarket heads and such are rarely on my radar.

My '67 Fastback Cuda with 440 is way more fun to cruise around in than my '70 340 dart. Both cars are awesome - but the Cuda is way more fun. It handles fine - not sure about the "nose heavy" comments in previous replies.

289456194_10225664103416693_5801761342049236710_n.jpg

dart.jpg

I put a 440 in a 74. I did the DC k member conversion detailed by Jim Lusk on the old bigblockdart forum.
I built my own power steering pump bracket and modified a blower motor to fit.

It was great for smoke shows.

Previous to that I ran a 360 that was a exact copy of the little red Express engine. The car was fun but not super impressive.

I've never tried a 408. Never been in the budget.

The only way I'll ever do another RB in an a body is if the Schumacher headers are available again.
The header clearance is the real downfall of an RB in an a body. Everything else is just nuts and bolts.

I would be more inclined to do a 400 over either a 408 or 440. Futs better than the 440 but heads flow better than factory LA or magnum heads.
Easier to fit exhaust on the b engine also.
But I do everything as cheap and budget friendly as possible so aftermarket heads and such are rarely on my radar.
Are you saying that factory 400 heads flow more than Magnums ?

-
Back