towing opinions on car dolly

-
I haven't read all the comments but my baby would go on a roll back. There is no way I would tow it... if something happen... oh my gosh!!

Tom,

I'm driving my Demon to a show in Roanoake VA in late June. About 450 mile round trip. Black car, black interior, 4 speed with 3:55 gears, 12.5 mpg with a 408 stroker, 2-60 AC (2 windows open at 60 mph). I'm doing it because I can and I want to do it before I can't, but I understand your concern.

Murphys law. What will happen to me is traffic will be backed up 11 miles somewhere near Scranton or Harrisburg, the stroker will run out of gas and the PA troopers will bust my ***. :)

We'll all ( 4 of us) be leaving Thursday AM to get down there, so at some point no matter how early we leave the nutso commuter traffic will be a problem. road construction delays are a fact of life on I-81 which is another issue I dont want while operating this car. I would be tempted to roll at 4 am and avoid Newburgh I-84 crap, and the early I-84/I-81 merge but..........

I dont think the Ranger, even w/4.0L has enuff nut to do it without doing some tranny damage.

It has plenty of power, and simple common sense will keep the tranny from being damaged.

Here's my OP Onion, from someone who tows with pickups for a living. Dolly, No, Towbar, NO! While your ranger will PULL it, it is going to have a hard time STOPPING. If it was me, I would find a NICE 18-20' trailer, with brakes, put a brake controller in your ranger, position your load for about 400 pounds of tongue weight, hell, with that pissant truck, even a load leveler thing would be a good idea. Check your air pressure, take your time, make sure your back tires are in PRIMO shape, and tow it.

However the Ranger probably will get 6MPG........ LOL

Last year on my way to Carlisle (Thursday 2:00 or so) We got hung up in bumper to bumper traffic for 45 minutes or so on the last hill. I never new the overhead computer had a 3rd didget in the temp, It read 104. Luckily the engine temp gauge read 180. Thank god for A/C that day. :thumblef:

Appreciate all the feedback on transporting with a dollie so far. That's an idea that I killed. Was tempting due to low $$$ however.

A few other suggestions were off the charts expensive since this isnt exactly a life or death situation..(Uhaul truck + Uhaul trailer) Purchasing something like a Featherlite is also an expensive option, especially since it will just be in the way for 360 days a year.

So looks like the car will rest peacefully in it's climate controlled lair for Carlisle weekend afterall.

Appreciate all the feedback on transporting with a dollie so far. That's an idea that I killed. Was tempting due to low $$$ however.

A few other suggestions were off the charts expensive since this isnt exactly a life or death situation..(Uhaul truck + Uhaul trailer) Purchasing something like a Featherlite is also an expensive option, especially since it will just be in the way for 360 days a year.

So looks like the car will rest peacefully in it's climate controlled lair for Carlisle weekend afterall.

Ah heck...... buy a motorcycle and ride there! I've had a lot of fun on mine since I bought it. Get out and enjoy the world around you.... beats standing around in hot parking lot with no breeze. lol!

I'm the one closest to the tree of shame.

Attachments

• rest stop on the mountain.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 193
  • Rockets Across America.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 174
I have a 4.0 Ranger and have used a tow bar to haul a Mazda Miata (about 2400 lbs). Stopping was no fun, cruising down the highway was OK. I would not want to double the weight with a trailer and a Duster. It would be a white knukle affair. Drive your car.........it gets hot in Texas, not up where your are.....LOL

Ah heck...... buy a motorcycle and ride there! I've had a lot of fun on mine since I bought it. Get out and enjoy the world around you.... beats standing around in hot parking lot with no breeze. lol!

"Oohh look! BBQ racers, the cafe crashing motorcycle gang!"

I say as I go thundering by on my Buell with 51,000 miles LOL'ing because I don't have to stop every ten miles to talk about riding and walk around in my chaps like I just got off a swayback draft horse with a limp.....

:thefinge:

"Oohh look! BBQ racers, the cafe crashing motorcycle gang!"

I say as I go thundering by on my Buell with 51,000 miles LOL'ing because I don't have to stop every ten miles to talk about riding and walk around in my chaps like I just got off a swayback draft horse with a limp.....

You're a asshole!

Some of those guys drove 1500 miles in one day to get to Maggie Valley NC for the Rockets Across America meet. I bet you never even thought about driving that far in one day much less doing it. We're not the stupid Harley crowd you're referring to.

I know I could out ride you and your little Buell without even trying hard. My bike has 6.3 gallon tank ... while you're stopped at the filling station I'm eating up miles.

Ive got a towmaster tow dolly with brakes. I have a Honda Ridgeline with a 5K towing package. The heaviest thing I towed was a 3800 lb, 60s wagon ~ 60 miles. No issues, but definitely at the limit.

My opinion? Little FWD cars? no problem. Larger RWD cars? Iffy, but most times I'm pulling cars as a shell. If there is a drivetrain, I disconnect the driveshaft at the rear yoke and strap the driveshaft up to the body. No need to pull the driveshaft completely (losing all the tranny fluid).

I like the tow dolly for short moves, mostly around town. Forget backing up. Yes, you need to be careful. Trailer brakes keep things behind you.

Tow dollys have their place. Good luck.

You're a asshole!

Some of those guys drove 1500 miles in one day to get to Maggie Valley NC for the Rockets Across America meet. I bet you never even thought about driving that far in one day much less doing it. We're not the stupid Harley crowd you're referring to.

I know I could out ride you and your little Buell without even trying hard. My bike has 6.3 gallon tank ... while you're stopped at the filling station I'm eating up miles.

Yawn.........

BBQ racers don't have a sarcasm detector, and immediately go into name calling defensive mode.... I should of mentioned.... Here lies the reason I am not a BBQ racer. :wink:

Thought there was hope for you since you were on a triumph, and you would get my joke.
Guess not.

1500 miles one day? Nope, That's an average speed of over 65 MPH for 24 hours, not enough road around here to do that. :^o:^o:^oAt least without going through canada.

BTW, the 4.4 gallon tank in my Buell probably goes just as far as the 6.3 in your big heavy bike. The buell, cruising, gets around 48-50MPG. And getting gas doesn't take that long..... It's taking the seat off and adding the oil every tank that takes the time..... :wink:

All in all, I was just poking at you, I think it's neat you weren't a "BBQ Racer" until you started acting like one...

My next Bike is going to be a Victory, I think I am growing up or something.

I once towed a Bobcat behind a Ranger. Truck was an 83 with a 4.0 swapped in from a 93 along with the 93's five speed. Had no issues getting rolling or maintaining speed, stopping.....well......that is another story. Was a surface street tow, not much fun. I now have a diesel truck. I use a equalizer hitch. Cruising at 90 is no problem. Hit the top end chip going thru Utah on 70, (about 115) every time I go thru there. Can climb Look Out Pass and Fourth of July Pass in Idaho without even unlocking the t/c. But even with trailer brakes going down the passes raises the pucker factor. Point is, I would not even think about towing a 3500 pound or so load with out brakes, at least no up this way. On a side note, need to remember to get the rear rotors and pads before my next trip so I will have all new brakes, wonder if they will be torched when I get home?

not the stupid Harley crowd

Really? Read on

drove 1500 miles in one day

Seems to me that bragging about driving 1500 miles in a day is a little on the stupid side. Even if you AVERAGE 70 mpg it would take you more than TWENTY ONE HOURS at that AVERAGE speed to pull 1500 miles.

I don't think there's many people who can SAFELY drive 1500 miles in a day, mmm?

Really? Read on

Seems to me that bragging about driving 1500 miles in a day is a little on the stupid side. Even if you AVERAGE 70 mpg it would take you more than TWENTY ONE HOURS at that AVERAGE speed to pull 1500 miles.

I don't think there's many people who can SAFELY drive 1500 miles in a day, mmm?
I say bs on the mileage also. It is just under 1400 miles from my driveway to my buddys in AZ. I use my GPS to monitor my average moving speed. Last trip it was just a touch under 70 mph. 13 hours one day and almost 9 the second. That is going about 400 miles a tank, fuel stops are no more than 10 minutes and eating while driving.

You could always rent a U-Haul truck and trailer. Hang a hammock in the box on the truck and save on motel bills!

That's a good idea just remember to sleep with your gun if you do that.

Just remember to find somewhere to take a shower and brush your teeth in the morning BEFORE you get back to the show!!! :tongue2:

LOL, funny you mention. I've accumulated just under 300,000 miles on various H-D scooters since @ 1990-91. My FLTR is actually my main means of transportation, including cold weather. I was a certified m/c safety course trainer as recent as 2002. I just dont think the others I'm heading down with will appreciate being my ***** on the P pad for the 4 days :usa2:

Yawn.........

BBQ racers don't have a sarcasm detector, and immediately go into name calling defensive mode.... I should of mentioned.... Here lies the reason I am not a BBQ racer. :wink:

Thought there was hope for you since you were on a triumph, and you would get my joke.
Guess not.

1500 miles one day? Nope, That's an average speed of over 65 MPH for 24 hours, not enough road around here to do that. :^o:^o:^oAt least without going through canada.

BTW, the 4.4 gallon tank in my Buell probably goes just as far as the 6.3 in your big heavy bike. The buell, cruising, gets around 48-50MPG. And getting gas doesn't take that long..... It's taking the seat off and adding the oil every tank that takes the time..... :wink:

All in all, I was just poking at you, I think it's neat you weren't a "BBQ Racer" until you started acting like one...

My next Bike is going to be a Victory, I think I am growing up or something.

My bad.... it was a 1,000 miles. Here is a couple comments from over at the "BBQ" bike forum after I told them you thought we are "cafe crashers".

"I'm one of the posers he is talking about, i only rode 1,000 miles in one day"

"He needs to meet Jesus, and I can help with that."

I didn't see any humor in your comments so therefore I took it as you had it posted. The fellow that looked at your comments that said you need to meet Jesus didn't think it was a joke. I sure he wouldn't have said that just for the heck of it. I didn't see any "just kidding" or any indication that you was "All in all, I was just poking at you". You show me where you was joking and then explain the little "birdie" smiley at the bottom.

Excuse me but you are the one that started name calling using "BBQ Racers", "cafe crashers"

You made fun of me and the guys I ride with and now you want to back out of it like you was making a "joke". If you open your eyes I'm in BOTH of those pictures. Just put yourself in my shoes .......... just for one minute..... and reread what you posted. That's all I ask.

I tell you what..........I will apologize for not understanding that you was making a joke. I guess I need to"lighten up".

I am sorry.

So you copy and pasted it to your "rocketman" motogang site?

LOL

Therein lies my whole point, you folk seem to take a "need" to fit in........ Thus the BBQ racers and Cafe Crashers comments. I was joking, but after you copy and pasted it to your rocketman motogang site, I take my joking back....

Meet Jesus?

EL OH EL.......

And you called the Harley riders stupid...................

Meet Jesus....

Follow me into a 35 MPH corner at 85 and tell me who meets Jesus.

So you copy and pasted it to your "rocketman" motogang site?

LOL

Therein lies my whole point, you folk seem to take a "need" to fit in........ Thus the BBQ racers and Cafe Crashers comments. I was joking, but after you copy and pasted it to your rocketman motogang site, I take my joking back....

Meet Jesus?

EL OH EL.......

And you called the Harley riders stupid...................

Meet Jesus....

Follow me into a 35 MPH corner at 85 and tell me who meets Jesus.

Obviously the problem here is that you're a immature boy just as you have in your user name.... a "boy" is all you are. You call people names in the safety of your home behind the computer but yet would not utter one word in front of me or the friends I ride with in person. This doesn't have to do with how one rides or what type of bike you ride anymore... this boils down to if you're a man or a little boy?

I say bs on the mileage also.
But not impossible, if you're lucky and good at staying awake driving. I did 1200 miles round trip between Denver and Vernon, TX over New year's eve 2008-9 in 25 hours, including about two hours at the dealership down there where I traded a truck. Only stops were for fuel/etc. and one 15 minute stop to eat a sack lunch on the way down.

Not fun or advisable, but doable. 8-)

But not impossible, if you're lucky and good at staying awake driving. I did 1200 miles round trip between Denver and Vernon, TX over New year's eve 2008-9 in 25 hours, including about two hours at the dealership down there where I traded a truck. Only stops were for fuel/etc. and one 15 minute stop to eat a sack lunch on the way down.

Not fun or advisable, but doable. 8-)

Exactly..... all the above people who don't believe should read this. It can be done. I have a friend that has completed a few of these rides. I want to do one of these rides sometime in my life. LOL

http://www.ironbutt.com/rides/ss1000.htm

http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/

-
Back